PDA

View Full Version : DRL a bad idea?

Raz2
10-28-2005, 07:28 PM
I see alot of cars in the dark, rain, or other bad weather with JUST their headlights on, no rear lights, no fog lights, nothing else to warn us of their presence... Are too many people forgetting to turn on their lights at night / evening / bad weather because of Daytime Running Lights?

Anyone else noticed this?

- Rasmus

ryder_23
10-28-2005, 07:31 PM
Yes, i see alot of idiots driving around like that at night..rather pain in the ass.

EK 2.0
10-28-2005, 07:34 PM
sorry...:dunno:

Raz2
10-28-2005, 08:06 PM
Admitting to something EK 2.0? :)

- Rasmus

ryder_23
10-28-2005, 08:10 PM
Its not so bad if its happeneing in the city, but outside of the city (where i do 80% of my driving), i have flown up to someone who didnt have his low beams on, and his taillights were so dirrty it didnt put off any reflection, that almost ended up with me rear ending him or her because of this.

EK 2.0
10-28-2005, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
sorry...:dunno:

Originally posted by Raz2
Admitting to something EK 2.0? :)

- Rasmus

Well, I have a bad ground on my passenger headlight...and sometimes when its really cold out it doesnt work...but the DRL's work...so i drive hom with the DRL's on...if I am not that far away from home...but my park lights are on as well...I would just rather drive hom with DRL's than to get a ticket for a burnt out headlight...

I know its wrong and lazy...but meh...it's cold and dark at night...I am scared to fix it...haha...

Raz2
10-28-2005, 08:12 PM
Exactly.

GoChris
10-28-2005, 08:52 PM
I think people are just stupid, whether they had DRLs or not. I see as many idiots with NO lights.

Raz2
10-28-2005, 08:54 PM
Saw two PT Cruisers today with just their parking indicators on, must be a PT Cruiser thing, I mean, what good do those two little orange lights do?

- Rasmus

rc2002
10-28-2005, 08:56 PM
You can't get pulled over if they can't see you. :rofl:

GTS Jeff
10-28-2005, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Raz2
Saw two PT Cruisers today with just their parking indicators on, must be a PT Cruiser thing, I mean, what good do those two little orange lights do?

- Rasmus On some domestics, the DRLs are just the parking lights...

95EagleAWD
10-28-2005, 09:46 PM
I have a question...

Why even bother with on/off headlights and taillights. Ignition comes on, dash lights come on, headlights and taillamps come on. Ignition off, everything off...

Why even give the option??!?

Raz2
10-28-2005, 11:53 PM
Fuel mileage, life of the bulbs involved, the reasons are endless. I mean, what if you are in a mad dash from the nearest 7-11 you robbed and need to hide, but want to be ready to run, you park, turn off your lights but leave your engine idling... Clever!

No honestly, I don't know, with LEDs and things the way they are, I don't see why they aren't always on.

- Rasmus

szw
10-29-2005, 01:03 AM
DRL's threaten american citizens freedoms.

Godfuader
10-29-2005, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

Well, I have a bad ground on my passenger headlight...and sometimes when its really cold out it doesnt work...but the DRL's work...so i drive hom with the DRL's on...if I am not that far away from home...but my park lights are on as well...I would just rather drive hom with DRL's than to get a ticket for a burnt out headlight...

Been doing that for a couple days now. Can we get a ticket for driving with just the DRLs and not the heads?

Raz2
10-29-2005, 11:58 AM
Nope, if the DRLs are your regular headlights, you dont have a problem there, but the ticket for not having any lights on the back of your car, you will still get.

- Rasmus

camaro
10-29-2005, 12:07 PM
DRLs suck, try buying a car from the states and try to pass inspections without it. You have to do a hack job.

kenny
10-29-2005, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by camaro
DRLs suck, try buying a car from the states and try to pass inspections without it. You have to do a hack job.

Its extremely easy to pass the DRL "inspection". Take it to your local Canadian tire and when the guy is at the front of your vehicle checking your DRLs, start the car and flick on your headlights at the same time. Done. Its such a joke of an inspection.

pr0
10-29-2005, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by kenny

Its extremely easy to pass the DRL "inspection". Take it to your local Canadian tire and when the guy is at the front of your vehicle checking your DRLs, start the car and flick on your headlights at the same time. Done. Its such a joke of an inspection.

ahahaha... they didn't fall for that at Shell. I had to connect a couple of wires between the headlights fuse and the fuel pump fuse so that when you turn on the ignition it would shoot the lights on.

HRD2PLZ
10-29-2005, 04:46 PM
I think a lot of people with the optitron guages do this a lot. I think because their guage cluster is illuminated the thought of turning on the headlights escapes them. Quite a few cars now have auto on/off headlights which come on when the vehicle sensor decides its dark enough too. I think this is a really good feature :thumbsup: On our old Toyota's all of the exterior lights would come on with the vehicle which was kind of nice, you never had to worry about having the lights on...

Newk
10-29-2005, 07:23 PM
I recently added a Grand Prix to the stable and it has the light sensor on the dash. I never have to touch the light switch, although it can get annoying at dusk if you go through a wooded area it will turn the lights on and off, on and off.

Nissanaddict
10-30-2005, 04:38 AM
"although it can get annoying at dusk if you go through a wooded area it will turn the lights on and off, on and off."

This remind anyone else of some parts of Grand Theft Auto? lol. My parents Venture has the auto headlights....good feature fer sure.