PDA

View Full Version : Want a Ferrari? Try a timeshare

/////AMG
10-29-2005, 07:21 AM
Can big boys learn to share their toys?

That's the hope of the Scottsdale-based Van Horssen Group, which is launching an exclusive club for fast-lane men and women featuring fractional- or shared-use of 30 exotic cars with a combined valued of $7.5 million.

Members can drive a $277,000 Ferrari Maranello one week, and slide into a Bentley Flying Spur the next.
advertisement

These are cars fast enough to blur a snapshot or luxurious enough to chauffeur Diddy in correct style.

"We strip away all of the hassles of owning an exotic car, the care and feeding of it," company founder Ron Van Horssen said.

The sharing concept follows a shift among the superrich away from acquisition to fractional use of corporate jets, yachts and vacation homes.

Instead of buying a quarter-million-dollar automobile, Van Horssen Group members pay a $7,000 annual fee and a weekly charge of $2,200 to $11,800 to drive the cars. They also gain access to a futuristic and ultra-chic hangar and lounges at Scottsdale Municipal Airport, where the cars are pampered.

The V-12 Ferrari Maranello, with a top speed of 202 mph, and the Aston Martin Vanquish S, the model James Bond drove in Die Another Day, both start at $4,500 a week.

A lead foot-note: Members pay their own speeding tickets.
source (http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/1028hotcars-ON.html)

AcuraTl
10-29-2005, 08:22 AM
:drool:

Kirbs17
10-29-2005, 08:43 AM
:drool: sounds like they might be on to something

JAYMEZ
10-29-2005, 10:14 AM
Hrmmm , that sounds like a really good idea.

Supa Dexta
10-29-2005, 10:31 AM
And what happens when someone wrecks one? are they out? Got a function to go to need a specific car and someone else has it, out of luck... there would be some drawbacks for sure though..

2002civic
10-29-2005, 11:25 AM
it seems liek it owuld work but im sure their would be a lot of fights over certain cars on certain nights, like new years for example

lastprodigy
10-29-2005, 01:55 PM
Sounds like something for ballers that arent extremely baller :nut: if that makes sense

t-im
10-29-2005, 02:09 PM
I think it would work. Yeah, it would cause 'difficulties' between people who want certain cars, but i'm sure they have guidelines and policies that would make this work. If they can timeshare high end vacation properties and private jets, why not cars?

DannyO
10-29-2005, 03:31 PM
Well it would work on a first come first serve policy I'm sure, as for if someone wrecks a car, well you would have to have full coverage, so your premium would go up but they would replace it and so the company would get a new car back, and they'd probably kick you from the club.

DJ Lazy
10-29-2005, 03:39 PM
By the sounds of it... it works the same as a condo/house timeshare... You buy certain number of weeks per year, you put in your request, and if you get it you get it... if you don't, you don't... Simple as that.

If you are baller enough to drop the money on this type of thing anyways, you will have full insurance coverage and that would cover you if you fuck something up... :dunno:

Seems like a killer idea... Not that I can take advantage of it though. :cry:

DannyO
10-29-2005, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by DJ Lazy

If you are baller enough to drop the money on this type of thing anyways, you will have full insurance coverage and that would cover you if you fuck something up... :dunno:

Exactly, they wouldn't allow it if it wasn't fully covered, just like leasing a car you need full coverage.

jaysas_63
10-29-2005, 05:14 PM
5000/ weak...thats around 250,000 a year.......you could by a damn car after one year of having there service......i don't think the benefit of having access to multiple cars out weighs the downside of paying 250,000 if you wanted the car in your lot the whole year (which you would have if you bought the car), not to mention that you could later resell that car, but with this service your ~250,000/year is money you will never see again

shitty idea IMO

t-im
10-29-2005, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by lastprodigy
Sounds like something for ballers that arent extremely baller :nut: if that makes sense

Not really - it actually makes alot of sense and is pretty practical - many of these people probably know if they owned the car, they wouldn't drive it that much, so why bother?

Would you call people who buy into: http://www.stregisresidenceclub.com/home.html "ballers that aren't extremely baller?"

DannyO
10-29-2005, 05:20 PM
Maybe there are alot of guys that drive nice cars, but have the money to sometimes rent a killer car for a week, for whatever reason, its good in alot of ways, I don't think anyone would want to rent one for a year though, unless there retarded.

three.eighteen.
10-29-2005, 05:27 PM
not to mention those cars are gonna rack up mileage pretty quick

DJ Lazy
10-29-2005, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by jaysas_63
5000/ weak...thats around 250,000 a year.......you could by a damn car after one year of having there service......i don't think the benefit of having access to multiple cars out weighs the downside of paying 250,000 if you wanted the car in your lot the whole year (which you would have if you bought the car), not to mention that you could later resell that car, but with this service your ~250,000/year is money you will never see again

shitty idea IMO

I don't think you quite understand teh idea of a time share... You don't buy all 52 weeks of a year.. therefore you will not have this car in your driveway 52 weeks of a year... You pay the initial $7000 to get in (similar to buying into a time share).. Say you buy 3 weeks of a year that use their cars. You will only pay, for example, $5000 per week.. thats $15,000 a year.. not $250,000.... And I am sure you can turn around and sell this 'timeshare' the same as you can with a normal Condo/house Timeshare..

jaysas_63
10-29-2005, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by DJ Lazy

I don't think you quite understand teh idea of a time share... You don't buy all 52 weeks of a year.. therefore you will not have this car in your driveway 52 weeks of a year... You pay the initial $7000 to get in (similar to buying into a time share).. Say you buy 3 weeks of a year that use their cars. You will only pay, for example, $5000 per week.. thats $15,000 a year.. not $250,000.... And I am sure you can turn around and sell this 'timeshare' the same as you can with a normal Condo/house Timeshare..

i don't belive in (real estate) time shares either lol,.....besides why would anyone want a ferrari for 3 weeks of a year....sounds like torture to me....

this is either for the uber rich, who want to switch up cars every week, and don't want to have to worry about maintanence,........ or its for the uber poser, who wants to be able to drive a car he will never be able to afford for a few weeks of the year....lol whats he ganna do cruise around aimlessly all day for those three weeks?:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

qmf
10-29-2005, 06:39 PM
Should be interesting if they do launch it.
Clutch replacements for those "good" drivers renting them should be nice, tranny should be right after, then tires, brakes...etc etc.
They should make a massive profit.....not....

Personally I know if I paid that much for the timeshare, and had a exotic at my disposal, I would just giv'er shit :thumbsup:

DJ Lazy
10-29-2005, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by jaysas_63
besides why would anyone want a ferrari for 3 weeks of a year....

I'd drive one for 3 weeks (vacation somewhere) of the year... If you go on vacation or something.. It would be sweet to do that...

Thats like saying why would anyone want to travel to some exotic country for 3 weeks and then come back to normal life... Because it it amazing at the time and something you can't do everyday because you can't afford it or this or that type of reasons...

Godfuader
10-30-2005, 02:36 PM
This is a wonderful idea!! Realistically you would have about 3 weeks of free time in a year, when u can actually enjoy the car fully. The maranello and membership would be roughly about $22,000/year...which would be more than the depreciation on a new one....plus the benefit of switching cars up.
I would much rather have the car and stayin at the holiday inn...as opposed to staying at a beautiful timeshare.

me&you
11-01-2005, 04:12 PM
This idea has been tried many many times before. To my knowledge, it has yet to work out.

Firstly, there are very few people that are even financially able to spend $5k a week for a car.

Secondly, the company needs enough people that are willing to do it to cover their costs (initial purchase, depreciation, insurance, hanger rental, servicing etc).

These two are the biggest hurdles to over come. Problem comes that the people that can afford $2-5K per week got to be able to do so usually because they are smart with their money. You can personally lease the Vanquish S and 575M for about $6k per month in the US and have full use of them year-round.