PDA

View Full Version : 1994 Golf CL

HiTempguy1
10-29-2005, 11:27 AM
Hey all, first time posting. I've been hanging around the forums for about a year but I didn't have an ISP e-mail account so I couldn't register. Anywho, I recently bought a 94' Golf 2-door off of a member of the forums that wasn't running. At the time, I did not realize that the 1.8L 8 valve motor in the car was the dreaded throttle body type injection system it is :sigh: Not that that would have deterred me from buying the car, but it seems these motors are much harder to work on. A couple of questions:

A) Where the crap are the canadian vw forums? I've searched all morning, and I've found about 2 that were utterly useless for any information.

B) Rumour (and only that) is that a TDi turbocharger manifold and turbo will bolt onto the engine. However, it sounds like the computer cannot handle even a low boost setup. I do have a megasquirt to use if need be.

C) Inexpensive performance parts that will boost the performance? I'm used to driving my turbo sprint with a whooping 80hp (but it only weighs 1700#'s). Supposedly the 1.8L 8 valve in the MK3's are rated 105bhp? How much does this car weigh (I would assume around 2600 pounds).

I don't want this car to be crazy fast, I just want it to look good (its black and tinted out), handle good (its lowered 3" already), and have around 130hp atc. Is that to much to ask? Thanks for any help guys. I am quite excited about owning a golf (one of my 20 must have cars), and the quality of everything seems much higher than anything I have ever owned. Windows that roll up and seal properly?! :drool:

hizzity
10-29-2005, 11:37 AM
hey man Your the frist teamswift guy I have seen on here. How are my old rims treating you? So How many cars do you own now?

HiTempguy1
10-29-2005, 12:01 PM
lol, long time no talk hizzity. Old rims are doing great, still have the kumho's on em'. I have gotten alot of talk about those rims being the most passed around thing since... (you get the idea) Kyle used to come on here, but haven't seen him around.

nismodrifter
10-29-2005, 12:22 PM
not many VW forums in Canada for sure, check out newveedub.com. It's our local Calgary late model VW forum. I'm sure somebody will be able to help you out.

Lanks
10-29-2005, 12:50 PM
try http://forums.vwvortex.com/ Its not canadian but I found tons of helpful information on it when I bought my car last june

Euro_Trash
10-29-2005, 01:05 PM
yea www.vwvortex.com is where its at.
I had a CL before I bought the Corrado. If I were you I would just swap a GL motor (2.0L 8v) in. Super super easy swap, and easy motors to find. Much easier to upgrade as well

HiTempguy1
10-29-2005, 01:49 PM
No engine swaps allowed. This car is GOING to be a daily driver (like you haven't heard THAT before :lol: ) Only basic upgrades, with the hardest being a computer reflash (which from the sounds of it you can't do) or a cam swap. I will definitly check out newveedub.com and vwvortex.com for sure. Thanks for the help guys.