PDA

View Full Version : Vnc

koopkoop2
10-29-2005, 11:44 AM
I have VNC running, on two compuers in my home network, and I was wondering if anyone knows if it's connecting through the internet or through my LAN.

When I connect through my viewer I'm required to use my external IP (64.XXXXX), so it makes me wonder if it's connecting from the viewer, through the internet and finally back into my LAN and to the VNC server.

However, once I'm connected, it displays the server's internal IP (192.XXXXXXX) so I'm wondering if I'm directly connected through my LAN.

Am I connecting through my LAN or through the internet? I would like to connect direcly though my LAN, if I'm not already.

Khyron
10-29-2005, 11:46 AM
Your router won't sent it out to the internet so at worst you're using 1 extra hop to the router and then to the other PC (which is fine). However, if it's set right both machines should be able to use their internal ips.

Khyron

koopkoop2
10-29-2005, 12:06 PM
Can you please elaborate on how to set it right?:D

I know I've already got it working, but I'm very curious.

How is VNC intelligent enough to know that it can connect directly through my LAN, even when my method appears to be channeling it through the internet?

Khyron
10-29-2005, 12:52 PM
VNC isn't smart, but routers are. It knows that 64.X goes to computer A and 64.Y goes to computer B. Or that 64.X is the same thing as 192.168.xxx

But in VNC if you try to connect from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.2, what's the error? Because that should work just fine as well. 1 should be able to ping 2, should be able to see the other computer in the network places, etc.

Khyron

koopkoop2
10-30-2005, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
VNC isn't smart, but routers are. It knows that 64.X goes to computer A and 64.Y goes to computer B. Or that 64.X is the same thing as 192.168.xxx

But in VNC if you try to connect from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.2, what's the error? Because that should work just fine as well. 1 should be able to ping 2, should be able to see the other computer in the network places, etc.

Khyron

Ok. That makes sense.

I also found the source of my problem. I had ZA running on my VNC server and it was somehow blocking internal access, but allowing external access. So, that's why I was able to access through 68.X, but not 192.X.