PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Rocks!

phreezee
10-29-2005, 03:57 PM
I've only been here for 2 months after moving from Winnipeg, but so far I've found a great job, and today I bought a house! We bought a Jayman spec home in the Cascades of Royal Oak. Feels good to come in and contribute to the local economy!

So far I've loved everything about the city and how active it is. Lots of stuff to do during the day and the nightlife/publife rocks! Looking forward to setting up roots here and making more friends! :)

DannyO
10-29-2005, 04:00 PM
Glad you like it, this is a great city, even if I do complain about nightlife and the roads, there is alot to do here, tis a good city.

l8braker
10-29-2005, 04:02 PM
Welcome

Mr. Burns
10-29-2005, 04:03 PM
:werd: Calgary is a great city.

JAYMEZ
10-29-2005, 04:29 PM
Yah Calgary is pretty fun , welcome to Calgary!

shakalaka
10-29-2005, 04:32 PM
Welcome to Calgary, even though from what I heard chicks in winnipeg are much hotter. Either way, awesome city to live in, even though I am not there at the moment. lol

ricefarmer
10-29-2005, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka
Welcome to Calgary, even though from what I heard chicks in winnipeg are much hotter. Either way, awesome city to live in, even though I am not there at the moment. lol

definately true, winnipeg also has a much more cultured social scene, maybe cuz its such an older city
but calgary rocks to! seems to have a much more energetic nightlife:bigpimp:

Bill Cosby
10-29-2005, 04:46 PM
have you been able to go to edmonton yet?

Weapon_R
10-29-2005, 04:49 PM
No one realizes how great this place is until they visit elsewhere or come from another city.

Team_Mclaren
10-29-2005, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
No one realizes how great this place is until they visit elsewhere or come from another city.

:werd:

welcome to calgary!!

t-im
10-29-2005, 05:09 PM
Welcome ^_^

Congrads on the house purchase - Royal Oak has some nice green areas.

pinoyhero
10-29-2005, 05:09 PM
Glad to hear, there's tons to do here, hopefully it feels like home soon.

Vagabond142
10-29-2005, 05:19 PM
Calgary is :bigpimp:

Always look forward to crossing over the crest of the foothills and seeing our lovely sprawling home across the Bow Valley after a long road trip, always makes me :D

DelSoln
10-29-2005, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Bill Cosby
have you been able to go to edmonton yet?

Why would he want to do himself that injustice? ;)

D. Dub
10-29-2005, 06:07 PM
Welcome!!!

and keep on spendin!!!!!:D

DJ Lazy
10-29-2005, 06:09 PM
Wait till you get a cheque from Ralph... then you will REALLY be happy.. :rofl:

phreezee
10-29-2005, 09:39 PM
HAHA... unfortunately you had to live in Alberta on Sept 1 2005 to get a cheque from Ralph. I moved here Sept 2nd! LOL

That's cool though, I feel blessed just to be here! Best decision I've made in my life. People are nice, and believe it or not they are also better drivers LOL

Raz2
10-29-2005, 09:42 PM
Calgary is nicer than Winnipeg, agreed! Less mosquitoes too ;)

Welcome to! :thumbsup:

l8braker
10-29-2005, 09:42 PM
^ you'll be happy when it's the middle of winter and it starts to "chinook", thats where the temp can rise anywhere from -5 to +10 sometimes..... a nice change. and when then sky is clear blue, snow on the ground and you can see the mountains, life it pretty good!!! now if only we could make this place more cultured.. but we are smack in the middle of alberta.

Raz2
10-29-2005, 09:45 PM
Yea, place could use more culture, and the alcohol should be served till 4am, not 2am :D

- Rasmus

DannyO
10-29-2005, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by phreezee
and believe it or not they are also better drivers LOL

Oh dear, hate to see what it was like back home then for you, if you class the drivers here as good.

Originally posted by l8braker
^ you'll be happy when it's the middle of winter and it starts to "chinook", thats where the temp can rise anywhere from -5 to +10 sometimes..... a nice change. and when then sky is clear blue, snow on the ground and you can see the mountains, life it pretty good!!! now if only we could make this place more cultured.. but we are smack in the middle of alberta.

:werd:.....simply beautiful the scenery, can't wait to hit the mountains with my board this season.

phreezee
10-29-2005, 10:07 PM
Yeah, it is pretty scary how bad the drivers are in Winnipeg. And yes, yay to no mosquitos, better winters, and the mountains!
Sounds like you guys know lots about Winnipeg :p

I'm taking up snow boarding very soon. Already made one trip to Banff for horseback riding and the hot springs :)

Ben
10-29-2005, 10:27 PM
Calgary is the best city in the best province in Canada :)

:bigpimp:

I'm born and raised here in Calgary, and there are times I get tired of it, but everywhere I travel (canada and abroad) nothing has the whole package like this place does.

Nissanaddict
10-30-2005, 04:29 AM
Congrats on moving. Yeah, Calgary is awesome. Winnipeg drivers for the most part are freaking, slow. And the roads here ROCK compared to winnipeg. I was there this summer, thought I had a flat tire driving on main street, patches everywhere. Awful. Seen a "no right turn on red" sign here yet? A lot less of those too....like almost none. And Edmonton? why? :P

max_boost
10-30-2005, 04:48 AM
CAlgary definitely rocks. It is one of the best cities in the entire world to live in. There is no other place I rather call home. The clean air, clean water, friendly people, young demographic, booming economy, beautiful skyline, ahhh it's great :D

Benny
10-30-2005, 04:56 AM
This is coming from a guy who grew up in Houston, Texas, moved to Aberdeen, Scotland, and now lives here in Calgary.

I love this place. :thumbsup:

/////AMG
10-30-2005, 05:02 AM
:love: Calgary.

Probably the best city ever!! It's a great home town, lots of stuff to do, and the winters are the best!! :thumbsup:
Calgary is the only place to be.

sansp
10-30-2005, 08:45 AM
Well, I am a Calgarian, but lately been travelling to USA. I live in Boston presently, and was in Dallas few weeks ago.

Although Calgary is pretty, but economically (being the 4th biggest city of Canada) cannot be compared to top US cities.

It is amazing to see the infrastucture growth in Dallas, and other Texas cities. The expressway out there make travel so comfortable, and instead of a centralized downtown, the scattered business locations nurture a growth everywhere. Houses too are far more affordable then Calgary.

In Boston, the number of jobs as a ration to the number of people far outnumber Calgary. Calgary is pretty, but so are other US cities when u live there.

Although the people do Calgary a lot of justice, but, the politicians dont do any justice, Federally nor provincially.

t-im
10-30-2005, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by sansp
Well, I am a Calgarian, but lately been travelling to USA. I live in Boston presently, and was in Dallas few weeks ago.

Although Calgary is pretty, but economically (being the 4th biggest city of Canada) cannot be compared to top US cities.

It is amazing to see the infrastucture growth in Dallas, and other Texas cities. The expressway out there make travel so comfortable, and instead of a centralized downtown, the scattered business locations nurture a growth everywhere. Houses too are far more affordable then Calgary.

In Boston, the number of jobs as a ration to the number of people far outnumber Calgary. Calgary is pretty, but so are other US cities when u live there.

Although the people do Calgary a lot of justice, but, the politicians dont do any justice, Federally nor provincially.

uh..thanks.

I don't think anyone really cares if those cities are better then Calgary.

JordanEG6
10-30-2005, 03:13 PM
WELCOME! theres a lotta sites to see in calgary! Enjoy! for me, i was born and raised here and it gets boring and things get old pretty quick, because of being here so long. but when i travel else where i realize how much i miss home. calgary is a great place to live, hence a rapidly growing population.

andres_mt
10-30-2005, 04:48 PM
hey welcome to calgary!, your not gonna like the winter though...

DeeCEE101
10-30-2005, 05:26 PM
actually... he's from 'peg so I'm pretty sure that our winter here is nothing compared to what he's used to from over there... here we get a break everyonce in a while from the chinook... over there... once winter comes it's winter for the 5 months or however long it takes till the warm weather comes around

phreezee
10-30-2005, 07:07 PM
Yeah it's true, January and February are brutal in Winterpeg. The snow feels nice and bearable for Nov, and Dec, but when the new year comes, you just want it to end!

Some of my friends that have been here longer than I have, say when they go back to visit Winnipeg, they want to go HOME after 2 days cause it's so boring there LOL.

I think Calgary is the best because it has a balance of stuff to do and cost of living. Places like B.C. are really nice, but it's so expensive to live there and without the tax breaks of Alberta. T.O. is a sprawling concrete jungle and I don't really dig it.

USA is nice for having less tax, and the buying power of the dollar but they have a lot of downsides in their govt too.

FiveFreshFish
10-30-2005, 10:15 PM
Welcome. Hope you like it here enough to stay permanently.

al-ti2d
10-30-2005, 11:04 PM
from winnipeg huh... were you familiar with the breakdance scene down there?? i know winnipeg has a number of bboys

if you were...then you're going to love calgary man..the bboy/bgirl culture is off the hook here

finboy
10-30-2005, 11:05 PM
i'm not crazy about calgary after the last couple summers of monsoons :thumbsdow

phreezee
10-31-2005, 03:50 PM
WoOhOO! Just got 2 free tickets to tomorrow nights Flames games from work! Can't wait to taste NHL hockey again! I still remember game 6 Wings @ Jets! :(

HRD2PLZ
10-31-2005, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Benny
This is coming from a guy who grew up in Houston, Texas, moved to Aberdeen, Scotland, and now lives here in Calgary.

I love this place. :thumbsup:

YAY! A fellow Texan :D I was born in Houston but only lived there 6 months, grew up in Vancouver. Calgary is ok, its a decent place to live with a good economy. I really miss Vancouver though....

baz
10-31-2005, 10:21 PM
Lucky you phreeze.. I vaguely remember you off zucru.

It definitely is a step up. Winnipeg winters can get pretty intense.. Nothing like seeing -25 and below for 2-3 weeks straight (its happenned a few times). I love going to Calgary when I get the chance. Can see myself making the move in a few years depending on my job.

Lo)2enz0
10-31-2005, 10:25 PM
man you live right up the hill from me. to bad tuscany didn't have a walmart

dub_c
11-01-2005, 02:49 AM
phreeze, are you on Heights? just curious as so am i. :nut:

shadowz
11-01-2005, 02:50 AM
Hey your Grandmaster Chans buddy right?

sputnik
11-01-2005, 08:02 AM
After moving to Calgary from Winnipeg over 4 years ago there are a few things that I miss...

- Grand Beach. 40,000 people. One Beach. 35C.

- Waterskiing. In Winnipeg you dont need to be a gazillionaire to own a cottage on a lake that you can swim and waterski in. The lakes are also only about an hour drive away.

- Burgers. Winnipeg has an abundance of family owned burger joints (Mrs Mikes, Georges, Dairy Whip etc) that blow Peters (and the like) out of the water.

Other than that... yes Calgary rocks. Its nice to be in a city that is alive with a strong economy. Welcome!

phreezee
11-01-2005, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by shadowz
Hey your Grandmaster Chans buddy right?

Yup, Allan, Puck and I started Zucru way back in the day when he still drove a Corrado! :) I'm sure he'll be introducing me to a lot more people in the scene when he rolls in for SCP.

In response to the last few posts in no particular order:

I'm on Heights + Route 204 also :)

Man do I ever miss the George's Burgers! Also Red Top, Blondie's The Burger Place etc! Didn't go to Grand Beach the last couple of years, after going to the Carribean, it's just not the same lol

There's a Walmart right behind Royal Oak on Country Hills blvd, so it's still fairly close to Tuscany.

Oh and I'm going to my first Flames game tonight! Flames vs Wild, got the tickets from work! :)

shadowz
11-01-2005, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by phreezee

Yup, Allan, Puck and I started Zucru way back in the day when he still drove a Corrado! :) I'm sure he'll be introducing me to a lot more people in the scene when he rolls in for SCP.

In response to the last few posts in no particular order:

Oh and I'm going to my first Flames game tonight! Flames vs Wild, got the tickets from work! :)

He told me if I see you online to say hi, you should stop by the shop sometime

NIck