PDA

View Full Version : Volvo "BLIS" (Blind Spot Information System)

benyl
10-29-2005, 05:33 PM
http://tinypic.com/f2kn4n.jpg

benyl
10-29-2005, 05:33 PM
VOLVO CUTS DANGER OF BLIND SPOTS WITH BLIS

Volvo is first to offer car drivers a high-tech solution to help avoid the risk of accidents caused by blind spots with its new safety system - BLIS (Blind Spot Information System).

Volvo's latest safety innovation uses an intelligent digital camera system incorporated into both door mirrors that constantly monitors the area alongside the car for cars or motorbikes, then alerts the driver via an orange light housed in the car's A-pillar by the door mirror. BLIS also works after dark, when it will react to the headlamps of any surrounding vehicles.

As Britain's roads get ever busier, Volvo believes the additional visual information BLIS relays to the driver before changing lanes or overtaking in busy urban environments or on multi-lane highways, will prove particularly useful.

The BLIS system does not relieve the driver of his or her obligation and responsibility to do the usual visual checks before attempting any manoeuvring, but does afford frequent motorway users or city drivers an added level of protection against vehicles hovering in the periphery of the driver’s field of vision.

While a dash mounted button can be used to temporarily switch the safety aid off, if required, BLIS is capable of making the distinction between mobile and immobile objects such as parked cars, road barriers, lampposts and other static objects, ensuring all alerts are limited to potentially hazardous moving obstacles.

"Preventing accidents and reducing the number of injuries and fatalities in traffic are both high on the agenda of an increasing number of countries. We see everything from so-called zero-limits in Sweden and the Netherlands to national goals of between 30 and 50 percent fewer accidents over the coming 10 year period. As a leading company in the field of car safety, Volvo must naturally play an active part in working toward these goals," says Ingrid Skogsmo, Director Volvo Cars Safety.

Volvo first demonstrated a BLIS system on its Safety Concept Car in 2001, and BLIS is one of many safety innovations shown on that car that have become a reality on today's Volvo range. BLIS is already available as an option on the XC90¹ and is expected to be introduced to the rest of the Volvo range next year.

A_3
10-29-2005, 05:50 PM
Interesting, I could sure use this on the roads in Calgary and from my experiences so could alot of other drivers.

infected
10-29-2005, 05:54 PM
Damn that looks pretty cool, but the camera's pretty big.. :eek:

Goblin
10-30-2005, 07:25 PM
Yeah thats a new idea, but still, if people did a simple check everytime.

ryder_23
10-30-2005, 08:03 PM
They should really impliment this system into suv's and trucks. they are by far the worst for this, since when if they shoulder check, they cant always see if someone is there. Especially on the right side.

Good find :thumbsup:

ronaldo
10-30-2005, 08:43 PM
thats really interesting and could possibly prevent alot of accidents

Tha VZA
10-31-2005, 02:11 AM
YEAH VOLVO WOOT WOOT!!!!!

:thumbsup:

thats a good idea'r

ciao

Tha VZA
10-31-2005, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by ryder_23
They should really impliment this system into suv's and trucks. they are by far the worst for this, since when if they shoulder check, they cant always see if someone is there. Especially on the right side.

Good find :thumbsup:

oh and the XC90..which they say it is optional on now...is an SUV...

ciao

snowboard
10-31-2005, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by ronaldo
thats really interesting and could possibly prevent alot of accidents

and create tons.

example:
some old lady is trolling along deerfoot at 90-95, some young kid comes rippin up behind her doin 120-130 (or 150 for the real racers) in his riced out civic (or taruas if you prefer haha). shes so used to using her bliss and not shoulder checking she slides into the next lane, next thing you know the driver of the civic Sans seatbelt is in her backseat.

its just like that thread on DRL's people rely on them, forget to turn there lights on, posing danger to them and other drivers.

:dunno:

ryder_23
10-31-2005, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by Tha VZA

oh and the XC90..which they say it is optional on now...is an SUV...

ciao

:rofl: good call, but i was thinking more along the lines of bigger trucks, if i'm in my buddies blind spot in his truck on his right side (yes i know u never drive in someones blind spot, but we were testing out his field of view) and he couldnt see me what so ever, so if your not paying attention to oncoming cars, someone could easily sneak in there, and you wouldnt notice that they were there at all.

seer_claw
10-31-2005, 10:28 AM
Perfect for people who drive Hummers and can't see my car when I'm right beside them on 17th. :banghead:

Tha VZA
10-31-2005, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by ryder_23

:rofl: good call, but i was thinking more along the lines of bigger trucks, if i'm in my buddies blind spot in his truck on his right side (yes i know u never drive in someones blind spot, but we were testing out his field of view) and he couldnt see me what so ever, so if your not paying attention to oncoming cars, someone could easily sneak in there, and you wouldnt notice that they were there at all.

yeah true...but i mean i drove various 3500's, 350's, bigger SUV's...duallies, the whole deal, in red deer all summer, and having never owned anything but a volvo before, which has an amazing field of view...especially the older ones...i didn't find it that hard to drive as long as you just LOOK before you do anything

but i guess so people are too busy to do that :nut:

ciao