PDA

View Full Version : Hockey in the 80's?

Neil4Speed
10-30-2005, 11:12 AM
This is going to sound completely ridiculous, however, whenever I watch games from the 80's, the game seems so much more exciting as it seems like the players have so much space out there. Right when say 1992 rolled around, this all changed, and I can't even understand it. Is it the camera angles? Bigger ice? Nets? More Padding?

Thats the reason why watching a game from the 80's is still interesting to me even if I know the score. Its truly entertaining for me.

Good example:
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/LegendsMember.jsp?type=Player&list=&page=video&mem=p199204&bw=hi

I miss the days of 7-8 games (even though I wasn't around lol)

DelSoln
10-30-2005, 12:01 PM
There are a variety of reasons ranging from different strategies to the increasing size of players during the 90s. Either way you should enjoy the game now for what it is. Of course it has flaws but at least we aren't subjected to the clutch and grab hockey that let goalies have GAA in the 1s and high scorers with under 100 points.

civicrider
10-30-2005, 12:08 PM
its because skill level has improved extremly, now players can stop guys from going end to end and scoring.

Kirbs17
10-30-2005, 12:25 PM
The Carolina-Philly game was 8-6, that was an awesome game. Loved how the Sens shut out the leafs 8-0 last night:rofl:

88CRX
10-30-2005, 12:53 PM
I'm sorry but i cant stand watching 80's hockey... everyone always claims it was better hockey with no cluthing and grabbing but really its just lazy hockey. Players wernt in as good of shape and were not as strong.... its not physical hockey. Players were slower, goalie never went down... its just bad hockey :D

Khyron
10-30-2005, 04:38 PM
It's easier than that - before expansion, a given team could have 5+ great players, but after expansion the really skilled players were spread out 1 or 2 per team. Dillution of the player pool was a big con to getting more franchises. Just look at Team Canada compared to a normal game for a taste of what happens when you got your best tallent all on a few teams.

Khyron

hockeybronx
11-01-2005, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Kirbs17
Loved how the Sens shut out the leafs 8-0 last night:rofl:

Boo-urns.

Man did that ever hurt:cry:

BerserkerCatSplat
11-01-2005, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by Khyron
It's easier than that - before expansion, a given team could have 5+ great players, but after expansion the really skilled players were spread out 1 or 2 per team. Dillution of the player pool was a big con to getting more franchises. Just look at Team Canada compared to a normal game for a taste of what happens when you got your best tallent all on a few teams.

Khyron

:werd: Imagine what it would be like if Team Canada played together as a team year round. It would be incredible.