PDA

View Full Version : JAYMEZ' Importing from the States thread.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

JAYMEZ
10-30-2005, 07:08 PM
Alright , I am currently in the process of importing (my second American car) a Toyota Supra from the states and I have been doing tons of research on the idea and I really think an Offical thread to Importing should be made for Beyond.ca. by JAYMEZ_STi (If you are posting this across forums , please dont take credit for it, thanks =) (10/30/2005)

So far this is what I have .
www.riv.ca is a major site , but some things may be confusing for the average joe.

Step 1. Make sure you can import the car.
Here is a Direct link for adobe on what cars are ADMISSABLE a.k.a cars you can import.
http://www.riv.ca/english/US_vehicle_admissibility.pdf

Documents to fill out.
http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/export/export_docs/vehicle_exports/veh_equip_export_wks.ctt/veh_equip_export_wks.doc

Many cars that are in the US market do not meet Canadian safety standards (Yes even new cars) and are not importable at all.
So in order to get your car here from the states you need to understand a few things (Yes its a bit long to do , but I really think it is worth it!).

First off Canada has hired a private firm to allow cars to be imported and it is the company we know as RIV or Registar of Imported Vehicles , you can also reach them at 1-88-848-8240 you SHOULD call them just to double check if you can import the car you want.

US Gov't Border crossing numbers..
http://www.answers.com/topic/list-of-canada-united-states-border-crossings

Whitlash Montana Contact:
http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/ports/mt/3321.xml

Step 2. Things you need to do prior to importing.

You will need

- I think the new law is in , you need a Canadian Passport. If you have say a British passport , you will have more hassle and possible could need a Visa LOL.

-US Title to the vehicle

- Bill of sale/transfer of ownership (Basically like any normal car sale)

- You will also need a written notice from the manufacturer of the vehicle stating that any recalls that may be in effect have been done to the car .. This letter does not include dealerships , so it could be a little pain in the ass. ( The only place I showed this was at Canadian Tire for the Federal Inspection , just contact the US car branch ) ( You can also get the seller to do this for you , the form can be faxed to the seller or the buyer.)

- Orignal stickers stating that it meets the Federal safety standards in effect of the date of manufactoring. (The stickers in the door jams , no one checked these except for OOP inspection and Federal .)

- You need to contact the US customs at least 3 days in advance telling them that you are going to exporting a vehicle from there country. http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/impoexpo/impoexpo.htm
You also might need to provide the original title or a certified copy , and 2 additional complete copies of the title at least 3 days , you should also Contact them to double check this ( I will be this week) this might change. (EDIT: You can just fax them this. For Alberta , you need to fax it to "WHITELAST MONTANA")
-Also when you call Whitelash station , they will fax you a peice of paper to fax back to them . It bascially just has your name , sellers name , car vin , ect... It is very easy to do.

-Get insurance and Canadian temp registration before.

Side note: Be very careful that the car does not have a lean on it , you will NOT be able to bring the car to Canada.

WHILE IN THE US - Go to a DMV (Road registry) Tell them you need an exporting pass , it costs $15 US and is simple to fill out. The only hassle is waiting in line at the DMV.

Step 3: Crossing the damn boarder.

---GET GAS IN THE US ITS CHEAPER , then cross.

You must cross the right boarder , do not make the mistake like alot of people do by trying to cross the wrong boarder (charged more) so like I said before call the Canadian customs a head of time , its simple and saves alot of hassle. (I crossed at Coutts AB)

Next when arriving at the CORRECT booth , explain to the Customs officer what you are doing . And you will have to go into a Customs office. They will scan your passports , ask your price , ask for bill of sale. ( Dont be scared about finding the right booth , you drive up to a toll booth , then they let you in and tell you to park and walk in a door)

At the CANADIAN BOARDER
You will need to fill out a bunch of papers . Like I said before you will need the title , bill of sale (duh) , mileage , and on the door jam , manufactor date. Once that is done , it is time to open up the wallet. Now when I went there , they got really snoopy and asked where I found the car , what internet site i found it on. So be prepared for these questions.

Step 4: Empty your wallet, 6 Percent (Tax change) and 6.1 percent on bill of sale price. (DONT LIE ON BILL OF SALE)

Everything is in CANADIAN $ .

- Paper work - $206 (Changed) - This can be mailed and payed for later.

- Duty Tax - Duty tax is 6.1 % but does not include Canadian or US built cars.. Its best to call a head of time to double check what your car falls under. - Here is a phone Ive pulled off another guide 1-800-461-9999.

- Excise Tax - AC tax aka a bunch of BS. $100

- Tax - Yup you have to pay 7%(6% now) on what the car is worth DO NOT LIE ABOUT THIS , THEY WILL INVESTIGATE IF THEY THINK YOU ARE LIEING.
You will be charged 25%+ on the portion you have lied about

Simple and easy. I will be doing this month , And I will be takeing pictures of areas to go to (Alberta) and pictures of all the forms and how to fill them out properly. I hope this helps people who plan to import , it can be intimidating but its defiantly worth it!

Also , I will be researching on towing companys.

ONCE IN CANADA THINGS TO DO

I totally forgot to post this. Yes you have a Canadian Car , BUT YOUR NOT DONE YET!.

Things you need to do with in a months time of haveing the car in Canada

- Installing Day time running lights ( This can be done at alot of places and is fairly easy to do - Canadian tire can do this.

- You will need to get a car inspection (I believe the paper can be bought at a registry for $18) - They will check basic things like , lights , how it drives ect ect , this is pretty damn painless , and sometimes they might *cough* forget to do it and pass you.

- Get your damn insurance RIGHT AWAY

- Getting your plate - After all the necessary paper work is done ,you will need to go back to the registry and show them the paper work and importation papers - they will then hand you a plate.

- Provincal Inspection to completed , you have 10 - 15 days to complete this once you have applied for the inspection (This is how you can register the car.

-Federal Inspection sheet , 10 days after you import your car , you will get form 2 in the mail , this inspection you have to do at Canadian tire. You have 45 days to complete this.

-Getting insured before hand-My insurance company was very easy on this , they didnt look at my car ..nothing , they just asked the make and model and it was done .

TIPS
If you are buying a new car. - You do not have to pay sales tax in California .. Bring alot of proof that you are Canadian.

If you are flying to the US , you should get a round trip , you COULD be told to turn around and not enter the US.

BY JAYMEZ

*** NEW AND UPDATED LINKS 2010 ***
The new link for Admissible Cars is http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/safe...list2/VAFUS.pdf Couldn't find links to the other 2

To track ones' progress throughout the importing process, use the step by step list: http://www.riv.ca/ImporterChecklist.aspx

403Gemini
10-30-2005, 07:14 PM
good thread, enjoy the new car dude! :thumbsup:

Weapon_R
10-30-2005, 07:17 PM
THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD!

When your thread is complete (if it isn't already) I will sticky it and you can make constant changes as you research more about it.

nismodrifter
10-30-2005, 07:20 PM
^yes werd to that. The topic comes up every once in a while and the details usually end up being more confusing than helpful.

AllGoNoShow
10-30-2005, 07:34 PM
Don't know where you got the source of daytime running lights from, mind sharing it?

Reason I'm asking is my 735 is a California car and I have no day time running lights, I didn't bring it in someone else did but I still wonder if i have missed something that might complicate some problems later with insurance if something were to happen.

JAYMEZ
10-30-2005, 07:37 PM
^^ Its a Canadian law , that any car after 1990 MUST have Daytime running lights. You have 45 days to do it once the car comes into Canada.

AllGoNoShow
10-30-2005, 07:48 PM
hah sweet, gotta love 89 :)

Thanks for the info.

BerserkerCatSplat
10-30-2005, 08:13 PM
Excellent thread, I've been looking for a nice comprehensive guide like this for a while!

lastprodigy
10-30-2005, 08:17 PM
Awesome info, thanks!

Altezza
10-30-2005, 10:01 PM
Just a couple extra points:

- When arriving at the border, you must stop at the US Customs first. You'll need to pick up your processed title after they've done their research on your vehicle. The title will be stamped "Exported". The title must be in their possession 3 days in advance (not a maybe as you implied). If you are very lucky and arrive to find someone nice, you might get around this rule. However, I wouldn't bet on it. The check they do on your title takes a matter of 30s to do. I made the error of faxing a copy of the title to the customs office instead of delivering the actual title to them. The officer I talked to was nice enough to perform the check himself, process the title, and allowing me pass without holding it for 72 hours as they are supposed to do. But of course, not after him explaining to me that I didn't follow the proper procedure of delivering the original title instead of a non-certified facsimile. They have a specific person who's responsibility is to check vehicle exports. That person was not there when I arrived at the border.

- You may want to clerify the fact that there are actually 2 inspections that need to be done. However, you can actually get them done at the same place. The federal inspection at Canadian Tire is covered by the RIV fee that you paid at the border. The provincial inspection can also be done at Canadian Tire for a small fee but requires the provincial inspection form from a registry (as you stated for about $18). If you have your own mechanic you want to use for the provincial inspection, you are free to go somewhere else.

- You are not in the clear until you hear back from RIV. After the RIV has processed your import, they will send you a letter approving your import or advising that they are still waiting on information. If approved, they'll send you stickers to apply to your door jam. If denied, RIV will tell you to get the car out of Canada.

kenny
10-30-2005, 10:06 PM
Just to be a bit more clear, the first inspection you have to do is the Federal one to satisfy the RIV requirement. On most cars you only need to add Daytime Running Lights (or use the trick i mentioned in another thread ;))

Once this inspection is passed you have to wait for RIV to mail you a sticker. This sticker must be stuck on the door jam, or on the door where it meets the car. Once this sticker is on your car, you finally have a Canadian Car. Before you get this sticker, your car is still considered an American car.

Next step once you get this sticker is to get a Request for OOP (out of province) at your local registry. It is $9 for this. Take this to any mechanic that can do OOP inspections. If you pass, you will be given a form to take back to the registry. You have 14 days to take this form back, or else you will need to get another OOP inspection done.

Another side note, if it is a private sale be sure to include proof of payment. For example, if you bought the car with a bank draft, provide a photocopy of the bank draft to Canada Customs. If you are going to lie to Canada Customs, stand your ground and make sure the seller sticks to the story too. They will scare you by saying that if they catch you lying they will seize your vehicle. Don't worry, you can buy it back if that happens. The cost to buy it back is 25% of the difference between actual purchase price and the alleged purchase price :)

They will assume on EVERY private sale that you are lying about the purchase price and grill you about it.

Happy importing! :)

Edit: damn altezza beat me to it ;)

schurchill39
10-30-2005, 10:50 PM
Thank you for this. I have a friend who is looking to bring in a supra, i will make sure to pass it on.

JAYMEZ
10-30-2005, 10:58 PM
Awesome , lets get more info for this thread :D

I was also told by someone who PMed who I will keep unnamed , that if you cheat the tax , the customs can take your car or charge you 55% Tax on the car! They investigate by calling the seller and checking with your bank ect.

kenny
10-31-2005, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
Awesome , lets get more info for this thread :D

I was also told by someone who PMed who I will keep unnamed , that if you cheat the tax , the customs can take your car or charge you 55% Tax on the car! They investigate by calling the seller and checking with your bank ect.

Trust me, I have first hand info ;) Its 25% on the portion you lie about. So if the car was purchased for $14000, but you claim it was purchased for $10000, what happens is that you pay 6.1% duty on $10000 + 7% GST on $10000. Then, you get charged 25% on $4000.

If you don't want to pay the 25% tax on the portion you lied about, they keep your car and sell it at an auction haha. Quite fun. After you pay for all this crap they give u a pamphlet if you want to contest the seizure. I'm sure most ppl pay and move on ;)

JAYMEZ
10-31-2005, 12:57 AM
^^ Lol TISK TISK

Ok so we are going to say 25% on cheating taxes?

Altezza
10-31-2005, 01:33 AM
They never verified any of the documents I presented at customs since everything was notarized. It was very quick after the paperwork was done. The only question I was asked was if the vehicle was a "stretched-limo version" of the actual thing.

rage2
10-31-2005, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by kenny
If you are going to lie to Canada Customs, stand your ground and make sure the seller sticks to the story too. They will scare you by saying that if they catch you lying they will seize your vehicle. Don't worry, you can buy it back if that happens. The cost to buy it back is 25% of the difference between actual purchase price and the alleged purchase price :)
:rofl:

Experienced? haha

C4S
10-31-2005, 10:39 AM
How about .. if just want to ship the car from US to Canada?

Can I do that? ship the car first, then go to custom to pay the duty, taxes, etc ? :dunno:

so cheap to buy a car .. or anything from the US now! :thumbsup:
Especially like those supra! :thumbsup:

T-Dubbs
10-31-2005, 11:39 AM
since im a lazy bastard, how much could i pay someone to get me an evo to my house?

AllGoNoShow
10-31-2005, 11:51 AM
I'll do it for you, I also have ties with JSpec Imports but he has all the shipping resources and car resources for Canada and possibly US aswell.

You might one one of those non trusting dudes tho so I won't bother explaining myself anymore.

T-Dubbs
10-31-2005, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
I'll do it for you, I also have ties with JSpec Imports but he has all the shipping resources and car resources for Canada and possibly US aswell.

You might one one of those non trusting dudes tho so I won't bother explaining myself anymore.
u have pm

kenny
10-31-2005, 04:57 PM
An interesting tidbit, if you really want to you can just import the vehicle without exporting it out of the USA first and skip all the paperwork hassle.

Canada Customs will do it for you if you tell them you didn't export the vehicle out of the USA. They offered to do this for me. However, US Customs will fine you $5000 USD. I guess if you don't plan on travelling to the US you could do this option ;)

E36M3
10-31-2005, 05:40 PM
I'd recommend using a customs broker.. that way you can buy a car, have it shipped and delivered to your home and not even have to see any paperwork.. takes a ton of the hassle out of the process. I think I paid about $150 for a customs broker.

JAYMEZ
11-01-2005, 04:40 PM
^^ Do you have the number for the one you used? Ill edit it and put it on.

chris
11-01-2005, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by T-Dubbs
since im a lazy bastard, how much could i pay someone to get me an evo to my house?
evos' are not one of the admissable vehicles on the riv list

E36M3
11-01-2005, 04:53 PM
For transportation, I used a broker named, Dion, [email protected] is his email address. Their website is www.aa-auto.com. While the transportation did go well, his communication along the way was awful.

I used Preferred Service (http://www.preferredservice.ca) to broker the car through customs, which was also a bit of a mess as they forgot to put the documents I needed to register the car in the glove compartment which delayed things by about a week. They were otherwise great.

el-nino
11-02-2005, 12:14 AM
I have a question.
My dad brought up his 03 tdi from florida. He was planning to drive it back down but because of high gas prices i told him i would buy it off him. So, now i have a jetta from florida and my dad didn't get any papers from the border, does this mean i have to drive to the border to get the process title?

JAYMEZ
11-02-2005, 12:44 AM
Is the car insured? Do you have a plate on it? You might have all the documents done , because i dont see how it would be registered with out them.

nismodrifter
11-02-2005, 12:46 AM
I think he means his dad came from Florida to Alberta, so the car has Florida registration/plates/etc on it at the moment. Now he bought it from his dad while the car is in Alberta (still with Florida plates etc on it) and he would now like to register it in Alberta. Am I correct el-niino?

CalgarySupra
11-02-2005, 12:25 PM
i have imported 5 toyota supras from the us, from 91-94 its all a straight forward process

adding day time running lights to any car is very easy.

and the first RWD car i seen here was a 94+ newer toyota supra from japan registered. so that 15 year old law doesnt apply to certain things some how. i knew that even before i seen it. even if he got it through the us. whoo big deal.

canada customs are very simple and straight forward. for one 1992 i paid 1000usd dollars in 2001. (right after 9/11) just pay 120 ac fee, 7%Gst and 160 to RIV (you can send them a check)

that dumb thing about is Canadian tire can only preform the inspections. but sometimes they dont even look at it. this is for federal inspects not out of province. there might be other places doing it but i dont know.

el-nino
11-02-2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
I think he means his dad came from Florida to Alberta, so the car has Florida registration/plates/etc on it at the moment. Now he bought it from his dad while the car is in Alberta (still with Florida plates etc on it) and he would now like to register it in Alberta. Am I correct el-niino?

correct. I haven't bought the car from him yet. It still has florida plates and it is still insured in florida.

chris
11-02-2005, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by CalgarySupra
i have imported 5 toyota supras from the us, from 91-94 its all a straight forward process

adding day time running lights to any car is very easy.

and the first RWD car i seen here was a 94+ newer toyota supra from japan registered. so that 15 year old law doesnt apply to certain things some how. i knew that even before i seen it. even if he got it through the us. whoo big deal.

canada customs are very simple and straight forward. for one 1992 i paid 1000usd dollars in 2001. (right after 9/11) just pay 120 ac fee, 7%Gst and 160 to RIV (you can send them a check)

that dumb thing about is Canadian tire can only preform the inspections. but sometimes they dont even look at it. this is for federal inspects not out of province. there might be other places doing it but i dont know.
yes, that 15 year rule does apply, there are some loop holes though. Which is why there's a newer fairlady z rolling around town.

kenny
11-02-2005, 04:22 PM
Stampede Lexus can do Federal Inspections as well.

mr.loco
11-03-2005, 12:23 AM
never say you have a/c they will not check inside your car. thats 100 dollars you save.
on the bill of sale reduce the price to half of what u paid or more, they will check the red book(kinda like the kellys blue book)but say the car is as is not working properly and needs a new engine.
the seller has to put as is no refund on bill of sale to make it more realistic it saved me lots.
usborder=dickheads
cadboerder=nice
oh if you are gonna drive it across the us then just slap on a canadian plate the police in the us cant run a check on the plate or they wont waste their time tryingi drove from florida three times and works everytime.

congrats on your supra :thumbsup:
im still payin for mine:banghead:
if you dont agree wih my policies then your free to do whatever you please. i just look for loopholes haha

Altezza
11-03-2005, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by kenny
Stampede Lexus can do Federal Inspections as well.

Yeah, I was wondering about that...someone told me they did a Federal Inspection at Stampede Lexus Toyota. I never though much about it. I guess it's true! :thumbsup:

JAYMEZ
11-03-2005, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by mr.loco
never say you have a/c they will not check inside your car. thats 100 dollars you save.
on the bill of sale reduce the price to half of what u paid or more, they will check the red book(kinda like the kellys blue book)but say the car is as is not working properly and needs a new engine.
the seller has to put as is no refund on bill of sale to make it more realistic it saved me lots.
usborder=dickheads
cadboerder=nice
oh if you are gonna drive it across the us then just slap on a canadian plate the police in the us cant run a check on the plate or they wont waste their time tryingi drove from florida three times and works everytime.

if you dont agree wih my policies then your free to do whatever you please. i just look for loopholes haha

Actually , This wont work at all , the US can check Canadian plates , and when you go through the boarder , the US takes pictures of the plates , I dont suggest anyone doing this , it could get you into some serious shit.

ryder_23
11-03-2005, 06:36 PM
^

:werd:

they can easily check your plates when you cross the border. And its not very hard to do, when i had my scanner, i heard rcmp calling in US plates all the time, just took a little longer for dispatch to run it through the other computer. But when crossing the border, they have direct acess to those plates.

CryoCarnage
11-03-2005, 09:44 PM
how is it that you can get a mk4 imported from Japan with a loophole? anyoen kno?

JAYMEZ
11-04-2005, 02:50 AM
^^ You have to wait until you can import the 1993s , and as for loop holes , nope none , unless you want to bring the car in as a parts car , display car (or whatever its called , a racing shop can do this) , or your an international student who is going to school here , and thats a 1 year rule.

CalgarySupra
11-07-2005, 10:59 AM
never say that dont have an ac, they are not dumb, you think your the only one who is importing? they wont check insisde your car? canada customs will check your car even if you said you have ac, why would you lie about 100 when you saving thousands?

supra is good to import because the kelly book value is always like 10-15 thousand less. i dont know of any other known common car that has that issue.

and because of all this 9/11 "laws", canada shares everything with us, registry stuff, plates, everything. the US can look up our ids, everything, they stationed fbi agents in big cities like calgary, toronto . etc. all in the name of terror. but canada customs is very nice so when arab guy like be brings in a supra or any other car for that matter , i have no problems with them what so ever, they are only happy to help. dont lie to us/or canada customs or to any officer for that matter.

Originally posted by mr.loco
usborder=dickheads
cadboerder=nice

JAYMEZ
11-14-2005, 11:26 PM
UPDATED . PICS TO COME SOON. This is every damn step you need to take!

95EagleAWD
11-19-2005, 01:59 AM
Wicked good thread. Will come in handy for the NSX.

lilboykorea
11-20-2005, 12:05 AM
very good thread,
got a few questions for those who have done it,

1.How much did transport cost? from where to where?
2.duty/customs/import fees in total are 7%gst + 6.5% of the purchase price? anything else????

thanks

lilboykorea
11-20-2005, 12:15 AM
forgot to add, jaymez, how do you drive it in? do you purchase insurance and registration here to get an alberta plate, go over the boarder, mount it, and drive in sorta deal? im kinda confused about that part

95EagleAWD
11-20-2005, 01:17 AM
^^

Ditto.

JAYMEZ
11-20-2005, 03:19 AM
^^^ I said in the main part that you need to visit a DMV and get exporting papers , its $15 US.

And no you cant throw a plate on it from Alberta.

95EagleAWD
11-20-2005, 08:56 PM
So how would you drive it from say, Arizona to the border? No plates?

JAYMEZ
11-20-2005, 11:52 PM
^^ Yup , its normal there in the US , when they buy new cars they dont get plates for a few weeks . You just get a DMV pass.

Altezza
11-21-2005, 12:41 AM
Wow, prices have gone up. I paid US$1 for my temporary usage pass in AZ a couple years ago.

lilboykorea
11-21-2005, 05:08 PM
and you don't need insurance i suppose???

finboy
12-13-2005, 01:00 AM
question:
what if the car is being brought in via train or something like that?

what if it has no motor?

legendboy
12-13-2005, 09:08 AM
^ its all on the riv site

And no you cant throw a plate on it from Alberta.

Hah that’s what I did, the guy at the border gave me supreme shit

Originally posted by lilboykorea

of course you need insurance

JAYMEZ
12-13-2005, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by finboy
question:
what if the car is being brought in via train or something like that?

what if it has no motor?

Via train would be pretty much the same process , call ahead, that the car is going to be crossing the boarder , I guess you would pay a broker. Hrmm no Engine... I know there is a different rule for that - Possibly a parts car? .. Ill look into it.

JAYMEZ
12-13-2005, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by lilboykorea

Just go to the local DMV like I said before , it should cover you via Govt coverage. Im not sure how much coverage it gives but it should be enough. When I got to AB I went and got Insurance right away.

legendboy
12-13-2005, 12:11 PM
wow you didn't get insurance before you went down!! :eek:

JAYMEZ
12-13-2005, 01:07 PM
Didnt own the car , cant get insurance unless I had bill of sale.

Altezza
12-13-2005, 01:49 PM
Didnt own the car , cant get insurance unless I had bill of sale.

I didn't have a problem with getting insured on the vehicle. All I did was provide make, model, MY, and VIN to the insurance company. I was insured on the vehicle before I even went to pick it up. They didn't even ask for the bill of sale. Worst come to worst, one could just fax a Bill of Sale to the insurance company the second you take possession of the car.

What you purchase at the DMV isn't insurance. It's a temporay usage pass; a "temporary license plate" for transit.

legendboy
12-13-2005, 03:59 PM
^ me either. i told TD what i was doing, they had special coverage for me until i got back to canada with the car. faxed me a copy of my new pink card and that was it.

AllGoNoShow
12-13-2005, 04:16 PM
legendboy we still have to see your Supra ;)

legendboy
12-13-2005, 04:32 PM
nothing special yet, just a stock supra. james's car is alot nicer at this point :D

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/legend88/Supra/images/IMG_1232.jpg

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/legend88/Supra/images/IMG_1235.jpg

AllGoNoShow
12-13-2005, 04:47 PM
Sweet sweet, looking forward to both your projects :D

JAYMEZ
12-13-2005, 07:47 PM
Those lazy buggers at my insurance place LOL

^^ At this point huh :devil:
sounds like a challenge LOL

HiTempguy1
12-14-2005, 09:22 AM
Is anybody able to suggest who to talk to on finding out if a vehicle is eligible for import from the US? In my interpretation, the car I am looking at is, but other people have said it can't be done. Of course, they haven't gone to the border and tried to get it across so... Thanks for any info!

legendboy
12-14-2005, 09:24 AM
maybe re read the very first post in this thread, or call riv if your still unsure

HiTempguy1
12-14-2005, 01:13 PM
Sorry legendboy, I don't think I explained myself well enough :lol:. I was unsure whether the importers listed here strictly did sales of import cars they had purchased, or if they would import a specific car you had found. I now realize that it seems many of them do both, and some also will just do the "broker"ing part of the deal.

riceeater
12-28-2005, 04:39 PM
ok i'm a littel confused by this part of the explanation they have on the US export website

"Documentation required

1. For U.S. Titled Vehicles

1. Vehicles issued an original certificate of title. For used, self-propelled vehicles issued, by any jurisdiction in the United States, a Certificate of Title or a Salvage Title that remains in force, the owner must provide to Customs the original Certificate of Title or a Certified Copy of the Certificate of Title and two complete copies of the original Certificate of Title or the Certified Copy of the original."

since i will purchase the car once i'm in teh states, does that mean that the dude has to send the current papers to the boarder point and when i come i bring them the new papers or what's the deal? i need this ASAP so please any info will help

legendboy
12-28-2005, 04:47 PM
when i went down, i made the deal on the car, then the guy paid out the lien on the car, and i had to wait 2 days to get the original title from the bank.

I faxed the border my worksheet and a the copy of the title the owner had as soon as i got it from him. you need the original or a certified/notarized copy(s) if you don't have the original when you get to the border.

JAYMEZ
12-28-2005, 05:34 PM
^^ Yup i got the owner to fax everything over to WHITELASH montana , thats where its supose to go. They need to have it 3 days before you try and cross the boarder.

Team_Mclaren
12-28-2005, 06:36 PM
Lots of good information in here, thanks james.

I've looked for laws for importing a clear title roller into Canada but cant find anything yet, if i do i'll post it up.

finboy
12-29-2005, 02:57 AM

Ill look into it.

any luck? :dunno:

killer deal in ohio that might drag me back into the car world, but not if it's gonna be a huge hassle

riceeater
12-29-2005, 03:00 AM
^^ Yup i got the owner to fax everything over to WHITELASH montana , thats where its supose to go. They need to have it 3 days before you try and cross the boarder.

since this will be stickyed i'm sure, do you also have the fax number for us lazy biotches :angel: otherwise, where exactly are you sending these papers in whitelash? and do you mean that the owner faxed the papers over BEFORE the deal was made or after you guys signed it and you had the bill of sale or what not? just to be 100% sure, when you call, you call the border point that you intend to cross through right? thanks in advance meng

Team_Mclaren
12-29-2005, 03:43 AM

killer deal in ohio that might drag me back into the car world, but not if it's gonna be a huge hassle

adam dont be lazy man, try to do something by yourself for once!!! Now go reseach and import that car in, then tell me how you did it!:D

back on topic: i cant find anything about non-running cars on the riv site, i might call them on next week to see if they have aay links for me.

JAYMEZ
12-29-2005, 12:23 PM

Damnit I saw all the information about it 3 days ago , let me look again. It was defiantly cheaper paying the RIV program.

Originally posted by riceeater

since this will be stickyed i'm sure, do you also have the fax number for us lazy biotches :angel: otherwise, where exactly are you sending these papers in whitelash? and do you mean that the owner faxed the papers over BEFORE the deal was made or after you guys signed it and you had the bill of sale or what not? just to be 100% sure, when you call, you call the border point that you intend to cross through right? thanks in advance meng

Call the boarder 3 days , tell them your coming , they will fax you a sheet to fill out , you fax it back to them right away , then you fax a copy of the title.

Code: 3321
Location Address: Port of Entry Road (Highway 409)
Whitlash, MT 59545-0071
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 71
Whitlash, MT 59545-0071
General Phone: (406) 432-5522
Operational Hours: 9:00 AM-5:00 PM(Mountain)
Seven Days A Week (7)

Description: A Port of Entry is any designated place at which a CBP officer is authorized to accept entries of merchandise to collect duties, and to enforce the various provisions of the customs and navigation laws (19 CFR 101.1).

JAYMEZ
12-29-2005, 12:44 PM
Rolling Body Information.

20. Importers with damaged motor vehicles may claim that tariff item No. 9897.00.00 does not apply to their vehicle and that it should be classified as parts; however, a motor vehicle may be classified as parts only if damage to the vehicle has rendered it completely useless and it cannot be repaired for use as a motor vehicle. Damage must be substantial and evidence must be produced to establish that the vehicle cannot be rebuilt for road use.

21. All damaged used and second-hand motor vehicles, which are imported for parts, are to be classified under tariff item No. 8708.99.99 (classification No. 8708.99.99.90) as parts and accessories of a motor vehicle. In the event that such an importation includes an air conditioner specifically designed for use in a motor vehicle, the $100 excise tax is applicable.

22. The onus rests with importers to substantiate that motor vehicles are damaged to the extent that it would not be practical to repair them for highway use. Should customs officers not be satisfied that the vehicles are substantially damaged as to render them no longer repairable from a practical point of view for highway use, they may request additional documentation from importers. Such additional documentation can take the form of a signed declaration by a licenced automotive mechanic or a provincial vehicle inspector attesting to the fact that it is not practical to have the motor vehicle repaired for highway use. If an importer fails to comply with such a request, the vehicle in question is to be classified as a motor vehicle and be subject to tariff item No. 9897.00.00. In such cases, the importer should be advised of the re-determination and appeal provisions of sections 59 to 68 inclusive of the Customs Act.

23. Importers should be requested to sign the following declaration in those cases where the customs officer is satisfied that the vehicles may be imported for use as parts.

I do solemnly declare that these vehicles are damaged substantially to the extent that they cannot, from a practical point of view, be rebuilt for road use. I further certify that they are imported for the salvaging of parts only, and that the vehicles will never be made roadworthy for highway use.

(Signature)

24. With respect to motor vehicles imported for scrap, they are to be classified under tariff item No. 7204.49.00 as waste and scrap iron or steel. Prior to importation, they must be rendered unusable as either a vehicle or parts by one of five processes outlined in the Explanatory Notes to the Harmonized Commodity Description and Coding System [see Volume 3 waste and scrap, point A(2)].

JAYMEZ
12-29-2005, 12:45 PM
And this.

Wrecked Vehicles Imported as Parts or Scrap - Clarification
1. This notice is to clarify and reinforce Transport Canada's requirements for the importation of wrecked vehicles as parts or scrap.

2. For Transport Canada purposes, a salvage/scrap certificate of title (or a copy) must be presented at the time of importation to demonstrate that a wreck is deemed not a vehicle. Furthermore, such certificates must clearly indicate that such vehicles are non-rebuildable, non-repairable, junk, scrap, etc.

Acceptable Certificates of Title

3. Only certificates of titles issued by a foreign government licensing authority (e.g., a State of the United States) are acceptable. These documents may bear a heading of "Salvage Certificate of Title" or "Scrap Certificate of Title."

4. A wreck is deemed not a vehicle and can be imported as parts or scrap provided the importer submits a copy of the official certificate of title with the following terminology printed on it: junk, scrap, parts only, not to be rebuilt, non-repairable, non-rebuildable, salvage non-repairable, salvage non-rebuildable, or any other similar wording indicating that the vehicle is not salvageable (not rebuildable).

Unacceptable Certificates for Parts or Scrap

5. According to Transport Canada, documents issued by sources other than a foreign licensing authority to determine the status of a vehicle cannot be used. Therefore, the following documents are deemed unacceptable:

(a) certificates of titles omitting to print terminology stated in paragraph 4;

(b) official or temporary salvage certificates or certificates of title with "PARTS ONLY" stamped on it or hand-written;

(c) documents issued by insurance companies;

(d) official certificates of title that have been tampered with (i.e., altered or erased); or

(e) certificates of title with an application for change status.

Note: If any of the above documents are used to gain entry into Canada, the importer should be advised to return to the exporting country (e.g., to the U.S.) and obtain the proper certificate of title for parts or scrap to support the claim.

6. For example of an unacceptable certificate, the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles issues "Salvage Certificates" without the appropriate terminology. With this type of certificates wrecked vehicles cannot be imported as parts or scrap, even if the "Insurance Company Use Only" box indicates "total loss." If the words "FOR PARTS ONLY" are stamped on them, the wrecked vehicles still cannot be imported as parts or scrap. Such vehicles can only be imported provided they are admissible and entered into the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) program.

7. Vehicles entered into Canada by visitors and involved in accidents in which they are damaged beyond economical repair cannot be imported as parts or scrap because importers cannot obtain under these circumstances the appropriate parts or scrap certificate/title from a foreign government licensing authority while the vehicles remain in Canada.

No Certificate Required

8. The only instance where a wrecked vehicle may be imported as parts or scrap without the submission of a certificate is when the wreck is either substantially demolished (i.e., flattened), stripped-down to the point where only a small portion of the vehicle is present, or crushed or cubed by a vehicle compactor.

At the Time of Importation

9. Never document a wrecked vehicle imported for parts on a Vehicle Import Form - Form 1, and never enter it into the RIV program.

After Importation

10. Never document a wrecked vehicle imported as parts on a Vehicle Import Form - Form 1, even if the wreck vehicle was repaired and later reported as a complete vehicle. Parts remain parts, the status never changes.

Roles and Responsibilities

11. The customs officer is responsible for verifying the source of the certificate and interpreting its validity for parts or scrap. Should there be any discrepancy and the importer insist that Transport Canada authorized his claim, the authorization should be in writing. If the authorization is not in writing, it is not valid. Provided that Transport Canada's requirements are met, the customs officer has the final word on the release of the wrecked vehicle as parts or scrap.

Heres the price for parts
Vehicles entering the RIV program with a form 3 (parts)
$81.00 for vehicles entering through a port in Quebec
$75.00 for vehicles entering through a port in any other province

finboy
12-29-2005, 02:58 PM
hmmm, this vehicle isn't a write off, clean title, the guy just pulled the drivetrain from it so its a rolling chasis :dunno:

no CLUE how i would get that through now :banghead:

riceeater
12-29-2005, 03:16 PM

Call the boarder 3 days , tell them your coming , they will fax you a sheet to fill out , you fax it back to them right away , then you fax a copy of the title.

Code: 3321
Location Address: Port of Entry Road (Highway 409)
Whitlash, MT 59545-0071
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 71
Whitlash, MT 59545-0071
General Phone: (406) 432-5522
Operational Hours: 9:00 AM-5:00 PM(Mountain)
Seven Days A Week (7)

Description: A Port of Entry is any designated place at which a CBP officer is authorized to accept entries of merchandise to collect duties, and to enforce the various provisions of the customs and navigation laws (19 CFR 101.1).

i still dont understand why we're faxing crap to whitlash whe i want to cross through coutts/sweetgrass?? is that coz that's where their central office is? AGAIN, do I fax them the title AFTER we do the sale, or does he at that point fax the title in???????? he told me it'll be TEN days before the DMV sends him the new title so what the hell am i supposed to do in the mean time?? i'm not sending money for a car i've never driven, and i definately dont want to waste all that time down there... here's what the dude wrote to me... maybe this means something else to you

I just spoke to my bank.

I would have to submit the payment VIA Check. It takes them 10 buisness days to go through the DMV and release the title. They then mail the title to me. I then would have to send it to you. I don't know if you need the title to get across the border or not? I will write you out a bill of sale.

Joshua

so again, does he send in the current title to the boarder or do i have to wait till he has the new one?? also, i need to have the new one before i can get into canada right??? thanks

finboy
12-29-2005, 03:48 PM
made some calls for a rolling chasis...

okay, it can be imported like a regular car, must pass an OOP w/i 45 days but doesn't need to be running, has to be road legal (headlights, DRL's, tail lights, seatbelts, suspension, etc.), has to have a steering wheel with airbag if it was equiped that way from the factory, seatbelt must be long enough to accomidate a child seat, spedometer must be in mph/km, must have all recal notices and recipts, but it can be accepted as a regular car if there is no salvage title

EDIT: interesting note, if the car has no motor, and the car required a recall on the motor, they could not give me a straight answer as to wether or not you would have to put the stock motor in and complete that recall

JAYMEZ
12-29-2005, 03:57 PM

i still dont understand why we're faxing crap to whitlash whe i want to cross through coutts/sweetgrass?? is that coz that's where their central office is? AGAIN, do I fax them the title AFTER we do the sale, or does he at that point fax the title in???????? he told me it'll be TEN days before the DMV sends him the new title so what the hell am i supposed to do in the mean time?? i'm not sending money for a car i've never driven, and i definately dont want to waste all that time down there... here's what the dude wrote to me... maybe this means something else to you

I just spoke to my bank.

I would have to submit the payment VIA Check. It takes them 10 buisness days to go through the DMV and release the title. They then mail the title to me. I then would have to send it to you. I don't know if you need the title to get across the border or not? I will write you out a bill of sale.

Joshua

so again, does he send in the current title to the boarder or do i have to wait till he has the new one?? also, i need to have the new one before i can get into canada right??? thanks

1. Call whitlash to tell them your importing a vehicle
2. They fax you a sheet that you need to fill out , you fax it back
3. Send the current OR new title , doesnt matter , I got my seller to send his out before i got to Cali.
4. Go through whatever boarder you want , Whitlash just processes all imported cars.

riceeater
12-29-2005, 04:19 PM

1. Call whitlash to tell them your importing a vehicle
2. They fax you a sheet that you need to fill out , you fax it back
3. Send the current OR new title , doesnt matter , I got my seller to send his out before i got to Cali.
4. Go through whatever boarder you want , Whitlash just processes all imported cars. [/B][/QUOTE]

thanks for dumbing that down for me :)

riceeater
12-30-2005, 12:50 AM
one last question...

the guy will fax the copy of the car title to the border and i'll take care of the rest of the paperwork. do i need to have the NEW title when i cross the border or will the old one, plus bill of sale, plus the previous paperwork i sent them in be enough? the guy's bank wont MAIL me the title in my name for 10 days after they recieved the money. will this cause me issues? i'll be sure to ask this tomorrow when i call the border but maybe someone can help me sleep better tonight :nut:

lilboykorea
01-10-2006, 12:11 AM
^ figure that out yet?

JAYMEZ
01-10-2006, 12:45 AM
one last question...

the guy will fax the copy of the car title to the border and i'll take care of the rest of the paperwork. do i need to have the NEW title when i cross the border or will the old one, plus bill of sale, plus the previous paperwork i sent them in be enough? the guy's bank wont MAIL me the title in my name for 10 days after they recieved the money. will this cause me issues? i'll be sure to ask this tomorrow when i call the border but maybe someone can help me sleep better tonight :nut:

You can have the old title , as long as its signed over to you (Then its your car) , and the bill of sale.

Its possible it could cause you issues , I dont see where a bank would say it wont mail it out for 10 days , im pretty sure thats the client saying that.

Best bet is to call the boarder.

Frosty66
02-10-2006, 07:37 PM
Importing a car this Saturday thanks to this thread, hello Mr2 :)

Thx for all the info Jay

2002civic
03-17-2006, 08:34 PM
so if i buy a car that is available here from the U.S. and bring it here i dont need to pay duty at the border?

Weapon_R
03-17-2006, 08:39 PM
As long as the car is built in the U.S.

xrayvsn
03-17-2006, 08:47 PM
Cars built outside of North America are subject to a 6.1% duty. Cars built in Canada, USA or Mexico are not hit with duty.

dino_martini
03-19-2006, 09:32 PM
When you say

"Tax - Yup you have to pay 7% on what the car is worth DO NOT LIE ABOUT THIS , THEY WILL INVESTIGATE IF THEY THINK YOU ARE LIEING.
You will be charged 25%+ on the portion you have lied about"

Does that mean, that you will be charged on the original price of the car? like, if you are buying a 50,000 dollar car..but you buy it for 20,000. Does that mean you are charged 7% on 50,000 or 7% on 20,000?

Thanks for the thread dude :)

mutsuraboshi
03-22-2006, 05:46 PM
can someone experienced guide me through this this week? :drool:

mr.13secprobe
03-23-2006, 02:13 AM
Is there a different law applying if I were to import a salvage title car but that has been repaired.(basically it is just like a regular car but has a salavage title)

Nova316
03-23-2006, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by dino_martini
When you say

"Tax - Yup you have to pay 7% on what the car is worth DO NOT LIE ABOUT THIS , THEY WILL INVESTIGATE IF THEY THINK YOU ARE LIEING.
You will be charged 25%+ on the portion you have lied about"

Does that mean, that you will be charged on the original price of the car? like, if you are buying a 50,000 dollar car..but you buy it for 20,000. Does that mean you are charged 7% on 50,000 or 7% on 20,000?

Thanks for the thread dude :)

I think that it means if you say you bought it for 20 000 but you paided 50 000 for it they charge u 7% on the 20 000 and 25% on the 30 000...
I think thats right if im reading it correctly

pinoyhero
03-23-2006, 07:12 AM
Great information, can you put up a "buying wheels and tires from US vendors" thread?

Si-R
03-26-2006, 03:14 PM
i'd like to add one thing to this thread.
i recently bought a car from the states and when i tryed to get HONDA USA to give me a recall clearance letter they refused..

apparently if you dont live in the states you can't get letters of recall from HONDA USA, or they were just rude to me.

i talked to RIV and they said for honda cars you can sign up on honda.com under OWNER LINK, enter the vin etc and then once your a member of honda.com you can just print off the two web ppages, :one with VIN: and another of the recall section, saying the specific vehicle has no recalls.
RIV will accept these instead of a letter from the manufacturer.

95EagleAWD
03-26-2006, 07:22 PM
Si-R...

Very useful. I'll call RIV tomorrow to confirm what he's said as well. Damn Honda/Acura being a bitch.

Weapon_R
03-26-2006, 07:34 PM
The SELLER should be the one getting you the manufacturer's letter, not the buyer. Most places won't even talk to you if you do not own the vehicle.

harley11
03-27-2006, 12:08 PM
Just wondering wasn't there some kinda law saying that when you import a newer car they have to have 30kms an hour saftey bumpers????

95EagleAWD
03-27-2006, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by harley11
Just wondering wasn't there some kinda law saying that when you import a newer car they have to have 30kms an hour saftey bumpers????

30 kmh?

Nope.

We need 5 mph bumpers here in Canada.

Just to confirm, I talked to RIV today, and you don't need the recall clearance letter for a Honda/Acura. The info off the webpage is sufficient.

JAYMEZ
03-27-2006, 05:17 PM
Lol , why would canadian gov't have 5mp/h(around 8km/hr) bumper test , im pretty sure its 10km/hr being that we are in Canada and use KMs.

MPowered
03-29-2006, 04:56 PM
Is there a list a vehicles made in or outside North America so I know what to look for to avoid Customs tax (ie BMW Z3 - made in America, BMW M3 - made in Germany)

Thnx in advance.

gorilla*goggles
04-04-2006, 04:54 PM
thx for this thread
im lookin at importing a 93+ supra in about a year or 2
and this helped ALOT
:thumbsup: