PDA

View Full Version : Where to get timing belt done?

'93 SR-V
10-31-2005, 12:22 AM
Well my car is coming up on the 200K mark, and it's going to be time to change my timing belt. Does anybody have any suggestions as to where to go? The car is a 93 prelude w/ the H22. The dealer wants like $550 or something, plus water pump at the same time all said and done I think it was around $800. I don't like Calgary Honda because they f'd my body kit last time I was in, and they had the balls to tell be it was like that when I dropped it off. My friend suggested certiguard in Douglasdale and they said about $700 w oem parts including the water pump, but I just wanted to know who other people use, and what they paid.

Thanks

Weapon_R
10-31-2005, 12:27 AM
I paid $120. Bought the parts and a helm's manual and did it myself. It's not hard if you are mechanically inclined, and www.honda-tech.com has tons of tutorials for you.

4bier
10-31-2005, 12:29 AM
A1 autobody they specialize in hondas and they have tons of courtesy cars

'93 SR-V
10-31-2005, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the replies. As far as doing it myself, I don't think I'm up for it, I'm afraid of messing it up. And as for A1, they can lick my a$$hole. I'll never, ever give any more business to them after how I was treated by them on a $6000 job. (But thanks for your input none the less!).

lastprodigy
10-31-2005, 12:39 AM
^^ dude thats for autobody not mechanical repair...i jsut take it to dealership but most dont!

'93 SR-V
10-31-2005, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by lastprodigy
^^ dude thats for autobody not mechanical repair...i jsut take it to dealership but most dont!

I know they do all kinds of mechanical stuff too, but the last time I went to A1 I had some redneck assclown swearing to my face, telling me he doesn't know "where the fuck your center caps are", (for my rims), informing me "I don't have time to deal with this, and if they show up, I’ll call you" and once some other guy went out of his way to find them for me (and I opened the box to check them), I was given more attitude in the form of "what you don't believe me"... So anyway, Fuck A1.

And then the dealer... They tried to charge me $100 to change the oil on my lowered car, but since that didn't pan out for them they ripped half my bumper off... So I'm done with that!

I’m coming to the conclusion that I must have really pissed somebody off in my past life! :dunno:

freakin
10-31-2005, 08:28 AM
I think any competent mechanic should be able to handle this job. Just buy an OEM water pump and belt for the job. If you just drop the car off, they'll use some cheap knock-off parts. I wouldn't take the chance with a cheap timing belt, and if the pump goes, you're going to be ripping the car apart again.

$550 isn't out of line for that kind or work. It's fairly labor intensive. It's not hard workm but there's a lot to pull apart in order to get at the belt.

78si
10-31-2005, 08:34 AM
To to a H22 properly you would replace:
- Timing belt
- water pump
- timing belt tensioner
- balance shaft belt
- balance shaft belt tensioner
- cam and crankshaft seals.

Its alot of work in comparison to a civic/integra.

danno
10-31-2005, 09:59 AM
i went to high river honda this weekend and got them to do it. they have a sale on right now. mine was regular 450 and they did it for 245. check it out

rc2002
10-31-2005, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by 78si
To to a H22 properly you would replace:
- Timing belt
- water pump
- timing belt tensioner
- balance shaft belt
- balance shaft belt tensioner
- cam and crankshaft seals.

Its alot of work in comparison to a civic/integra.

Yeah I had all that done on my Prelude. I ended up taking it into the dealer for the warranty. It's warrantied if anything goes wrong - and if you screw up the timing belt, a LOT can go wrong...

kaput
10-31-2005, 11:03 AM

rc2002
10-31-2005, 11:09 AM
Honda West is a really good dealership. Excellent service, and their work is top notch. Alex, the shop foreman knows his Hondas inside out.

'93 SR-V
10-31-2005, 03:00 PM
I'll look into high river honda to see what they want. It's a bit of a trip, but for that price it would be well worth it. As for Honda west, I've only used them once, but have no complaints. They were good to deal with, and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. I'm just looking to see what other places charge. I'll probably buy the oem parts and supply them, as I don't want aftermarket parts used just because if they fail it's big money in terms of replacing them again, and possible damage to the engine.

Das_Amaretto
10-31-2005, 04:06 PM
I know 2 excellent mechanics you can try.

Alvin Automotive Inc
1312 Hastings Crescent Southeast, Calgary, AB T2G4C9
(403) 243-3941

This shop is simply amazing, the guys are all pros, and they deal with moified cars all the time. Once you actually see their shop, you'll understand.

I also know another licensed mechanic who can do it for you, and he will likely be the cheapest. He just replaced my shocks last week, and always does a great job.

Jerry's Automotive Service.
243-2586