PDA

View Full Version : New Law - Oct 31

rtsen
10-31-2005, 04:57 PM
Got a news release in my email about a new law that in effect today. Basically you need to slow down to 60 km/hour or less if you're passing an emergency vehicle or tow truck. If you get caught, the fines are double.

October28, 2005
New law makes Alberta roads safer for emergency and construction workers

Edmonton... A new law requiring drivers to slow down when passing emergency vehicles and tow trucks comes into effect October 31.
The new law, which doubles the fines for speeders, will make roads safer for police officers, firefighters, ambulance workers, tow truck operators and construction workers, as well as motorists.
"Every year, emergency and construction workers are injured and sometimes killed on Alberta’s roads and highways – and for every one of those incidents, there are probably at least as many near-misses," said Dr. Lyle Oberg, Minister of Infrastructure and Transportation. "This new law will protect these people who put themselves in harm’s way for our benefit."
Under the new law, motorists must slow down to 60 kilometres per hour, or less if the posted speed limit is lower, when passing emergency vehicles or tow trucks stopped with their lights flashing. In construction zones, motorists must observe the posted speed limit. Fines for speeding past emergency vehicles and through construction sites where workers are present will be doubled.
“We expect that this new law and stiff fines will deter people from speeding in these areas,” said Richard Magnus, MLA for Calgary-North Hill, who sponsored the new law. “This is all about slowing down for the safety of all workers. These people are trying to save other people’s lives while looking out for their own safety. We should be looking out for their safety as well."
An advertising campaign is currently running across Alberta to raise awareness of the new law.

The new law is part of Bill 39, the Traffic Safety Amendment Act, 2005, which was passed during the Legislature's 2005 spring session. Other amendments include changes to laws concerning driving without insurance, seizure of vehicles involved in racing, use of evidence from a vehicle’s “black box” in legal proceedings, and reporting of unsafe drivers. Bill 39 may be viewed at www.assembly.ab.ca.

rtsen
10-31-2005, 04:58 PM
October 28 2005

Proclamation of the Traffic Safety Amendment Act

Emergency Vehicles and Construction Zones
• Motorists must slow to 60 kilometres per hour, or less if the posted speed is lower, when passing emergency vehicles or tow trucks stopped with their lights flashing. Fines for speeding in these areas will be double the regular amount.
• Emergency vehicles include fire, police, ambulance, tow trucks, and a vehicle used by a gas disconnection unit of a public utility or a designated emergency response unit.
• If there are two or more traffic lanes in the same direction as the emergency vehicle or tow truck, passing vehicles need only slow down in the lane immediately beside the stopped emergency vehicle. Vehicles traveling in other lanes, including oncoming lanes, may maintain their speed but should proceed with caution.
• In construction zones, motorists must observe the posted speed. When workers are present, fines for speeding in these areas will be doubled. This is where workers are on or near the road, operating heavy equipment, directing traffic, or using hand tools within the construction zone. Drivers need to look out for workers who could be less visible behind construction equipment.

TEAMFaint
10-31-2005, 05:04 PM
I must say these are good laws, gotta be careful around the construction zones, but I do have a question: How the hell are they going to inforce this? Are they gonna have a cop car sitting in each construction zone for the whole day with a radar gun to ensure nobody is speeding through the zones? Gonna be kinda hard if you ask me.

kenny
10-31-2005, 05:06 PM
Wow and its just in the lane beside the emergency vehicle. If you're speeding and you see a cop, quickly whip over to the next lane and say you were changing lanes ;)

arian_ma
10-31-2005, 07:07 PM
badly worded law...
like he said ^^^, it would be easy to fight it lol
But then agian, which law isn't badly worded.

Tomaz
10-31-2005, 07:40 PM
I still cant believe laws like this have to be made. It is always common sence to slow down and/or change lanes when you see any of those vehicles on the side of the road.

Lo)2enz0
10-31-2005, 10:38 PM
i heard about this a couple weeks ago, didn't think it was true. guess it is.

s dime
10-31-2005, 11:04 PM
knowing calgary drivers, most will slow down to rubberneck, slowing down the rest of traffic anyways. nothing to worry about!:D

finboy
10-31-2005, 11:16 PM
i still think they need to remove the "reduce your speed" signs in construction zones after all the workers have gone home :thumbsdow

schurchill39
10-31-2005, 11:27 PM
So is that the only change with fines for traffic violations? I had some one at work today tell me that almost all speed related violations will be doubled.
Something like 15km over - 256$
20kms over - 302$
30kms over - 412$
Definitly not those numbers but some where close to them is what i was told.

QuasarCav
10-31-2005, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by schurchill39
So is that the only change with fines for traffic violations? I had some one at work today tell me that almost all speed related violations will be doubled.
Something like 15km over - 256$
20kms over - 302$
30kms over - 412$
Definitly not those numbers but some where close to them is what i was told.

When workers are present.

You go 60 in a 100 in const. zone = 250
You go 60 in a 100 in const. zone with fat white chick waving sign = 500

Or the good people of the EMS, Police and Fire.

schurchill39
11-02-2005, 12:43 AM
So then i take it there is no change to other speeding ticket costs?