PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Placement?

dj_rice
11-01-2005, 06:49 PM
Just finished everything on my ride so now its time to bring it to exhaust shop to get a custom downpipe and exhaust done...

Question is, I want to be JDM and be cool and was wondering at what angle should the muffler be coming out of the rear?

Leaning up and to the left?Straight out the left?

Whats the new hotness on muffler angles these days...?

Heres some pics...which one is the correct "hotness"

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/djrice123/ssautochrome3.jpg

http://www.wtfm8.net/chengstA/240sx/ssautochrome2.jpg

http://www.tein.com/ti/img/8n201.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/djrice123/s13rear.jpg

n1zm0
11-01-2005, 08:00 PM
i've got a fujitsubo (mmm JDM):thumbsup: , its no angle, just straight
http://x11.putfile.com/11/30419535942.jpg

86max
11-01-2005, 09:15 PM
My advice is to buy a pre-fabbed exhaust, not custom.

downpipe: ~$150
cat (test pipe): ~$60
cat back exhaust: ~$600

This way you'll get a dyno-tested design which you will know what it looks like, and possibly save money, custom 3" exhaust piping isn't exactly cheap, and decent mufflers can go for more than $300.

I have a 3" stainless steel downpipe if you're interested lol

EK 2.0
11-01-2005, 09:16 PM
A side dump that exits right behind the drivers door is the best...:thumbsup:

86max
11-01-2005, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

Nothing impresses people like a nice black streak up the side of your car :D

rc2002
11-01-2005, 09:20 PM
And nothing like inhaling toxic vapours everytime you crack your window.

EK 2.0
11-01-2005, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by 86max
Nothing impresses people like a nice black streak up the side of your car :D

Originally posted by richardchan2002
And nothing like inhaling toxic vapours everytime you crack your window.

Meh, Cyclone never had those issues...it was conversation was killed with the window cracked...BUT it was cool seeing a fireball light up the side of your car...haha

dj_rice
11-01-2005, 09:30 PM
My advice is to buy a pre-fabbed exhaust, not custom.

downpipe: ~$150
cat (test pipe): ~$60
cat back exhaust: ~$600

This way you'll get a dyno-tested design which you will know what it looks like, and possibly save money, custom 3" exhaust piping isn't exactly cheap, and decent mufflers can go for more than $300.

I have a 3" stainless steel downpipe if you're interested lol

How much for the downpipe and I need a SR20 downpipe...and pfft to dyno-tested designs...I'm not too worried abuot that...and I'm only going 2.5" so I'm just gonna be re-using the catback piping I have now but welding on a new muffler thats all...3" will be too loud I think...as I have no cat, straight from the hairdryer back...and I dont need a test pipe...

JordanEG6
11-01-2005, 09:32 PM
dude, dont you know anything? :rolleyes: the best thing to do is to place the exhaust on the OTHER SIDE for MORE POWER. thats how jdmab.ca guys roll, get with the program! :rofl: :rofl:

dj_rice
11-01-2005, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by JordanEG6
dude, dont you know anything? :rolleyes: the best thing to do is to place the exhaust on the OTHER SIDE for MORE POWER. thats how jdmab.ca guys roll, get with the program! :rofl: :rofl:

LOL Shaddddddddddddddup...

Hell, why dont I just run no exhaust then I'll get triple the power?

But on a serious note, yeah just wondering how everyone is doin their exhaust angles these days thats all...seen on some Jap cars, they're shooting straight out the left at the rear...

snowboard
11-01-2005, 09:40 PM
Fuck guy do something cool, like side pipes with glass packs hahahahaha.

yo just kidding. but i like E.K.'s idea, then get some hoosier slicks and a blower, youll be set.

86max
11-01-2005, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

How much for the downpipe and I need a SR20 downpipe...and pfft to dyno-tested designs...I'm not too worried abuot that...and I'm only going 2.5" so I'm just gonna be re-using the catback piping I have now but welding on a new muffler thats all...3" will be too loud I think...as I have no cat, straight from the hairdryer back...and I dont need a test pipe...

Why not 3"? The turbo will like 3", doesn't have to be loud either. You can put a resonator in place of the cat ( i have one of these too if you want), or some systems come with a silencer.

Downpipe = $60 (bolts right up to sr20)
resonator (has a hole but can be repaired easily) = $20

benyl
11-01-2005, 11:19 PM
You will be happy with a full 3" system.

If you get a "dyno" test one, chance are, you can get one that is quiet. There are some systems out there that are quieter than stock. It is all about resonance waves.

andres_mt
11-01-2005, 11:39 PM
dj_rice,
you don't go to the U of C do you??
I swear I always see a car exactly like yours parked in Lot 11 everyday.

SneakyNeek
11-01-2005, 11:54 PM
ist picture i like the best

dj_rice
11-02-2005, 12:07 AM

Why not 3"? The turbo will like 3", doesn't have to be loud either. You can put a resonator in place of the cat ( i have one of these too if you want), or some systems come with a silencer.

Downpipe = $60 (bolts right up to sr20)
resonator (has a hole but can be repaired easily) = $20

Actually, I just remembered I have a stock SR20 rusted up downpipe but cant use it as the oil pan is in the way so thats why I gotta get all custom shit done....so $80 down the drain...oh wells..thats what happens with custom projects and I dont want to use 3" cuz I'm on a budget right now, I already have a 2.5" catback exhaust system...so I'm just gonna re-use the piping...and I dont think it'll make much diff goin from 2.5" to 3"...I've read about the bigger pipin debate, and also read you need back pressure debate...

dj_rice
11-02-2005, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by andres_mt
dj_rice,
you don't go to the U of C do you??
I swear I always see a car exactly like yours parked in Lot 11 everyday.

Nope...no U of C......and a car exactly like mine eh??Hmmmmm...I thought my car was the only one with that Bomex bodykit in Calgary....

andres_mt
11-02-2005, 12:30 AM
well not exactly but pretty close ... slanted exhaust and all
but i don't think so actually cuz don't think this guy has rims and not lowered.

dj_rice
11-02-2005, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by andres_mt
well not exactly but pretty close ... slanted exhaust and all
but i don't think so actually cuz don't think this guy has rims and not lowered.

Do u even know what my car looks like cuz lol if ur thinkin its the black s14 in this thread then no lol...

pressure_ratio
11-02-2005, 04:09 AM

I've read about the bigger pipin debate, and also read you need back pressure debate...

That back pressure debate is an old wives tale from the 60's.What you want is velocity not backpressure,2 very different things.

Try a 2 1/2" DP to keep velocity high coming out of the turbo then go to 3" all the way back.2 1/2 " is really to small for just about any turbo car.
With the KA you have 400cc more displacment to think about vs. an SR

Even if your on a budget go 3". There's hardly a difference in the pipe prices,it's the mandrel bends that get a bit more expensive.

Don't worry it won't be that loud if you put a resonator in place of your cat.

For your question...I like the exit on the S14,angled out a bit and up.

JordanEG6
11-02-2005, 09:25 AM

LOL Shaddddddddddddddup...

Hell, why dont I just run no exhaust then I'll get triple the power?

But on a serious note, yeah just wondering how everyone is doin their exhaust angles these days thats all...seen on some Jap cars, they're shooting straight out the left at the rear...

if its a BIG tip, i'd say the first pic. if its a small tip, i would have it straight out IMO it would look sweet......then get a spinner exhaust tip. :D

dj_rice
11-02-2005, 10:25 PM
Bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I've decided to just say hell with it and go 3"....

So its best to go 2.5" downpipe and then 3" exhaust??
Would it be best to put a resonator in this setup and final advice on muffler angles as I'm bringin it in the morning

Zephyr
11-03-2005, 02:01 AM
I have a 5zigen 3" down, megan racing test 3" and 3" megan racing cat.. its rather quiet..then again im turbo

dj_rice
11-04-2005, 12:07 AM
Wow

Just finished my downpipe and exhaust..decided to go with full 3" system and I threw in a resonator also in the setup..and this sounds way better than my old muffler setup and less loud I'm pleased cuz I got rid of the ricey fartcan muffler sound

I love the way the Megan Racing N1 muffler sounds...:thumbsup:

pressure_ratio
11-04-2005, 03:24 AM
Right on,glad you're happy with it :thumbsup:

240droptop
11-04-2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

pfff Custom manifold with pipeing comeing out your driver fender right by the front left tire :) that way you get a better view of your flame thrower :thumbsup:

hollywood_35
11-09-2005, 11:53 PM
Post up some pics of your setup, how much did it cost in total? I'm think og the SSAutoChrome 3" catback setup. I looked at it and lughed because I thought it was pure shit, but I've heard nothing but good news from the people on 240sxforums.com that have it installed. It's $325 Canadian delivered to your door. Just trying to do some shop and save. :thumbsup: