PDA

View Full Version : How to remove Gold plating off of Chrome done a Dealership

redevil
11-02-2005, 02:09 PM
I need to know how to remove the cheap gold plating that the dealership puts on the chrome parts of cars. You know the plating they put on the badges and grill that make the car look cheezy!

I hate the gold so it has to go.
Any ideas let me know.

Thanks

Ben
11-02-2005, 03:31 PM
I'm not sure if you can, it would probably be a lot of work, plus you'd risk removing the chrome as well. Inquire on how much the stock non-gold plated replacements would be, check out some forums dedicated to your car and see if anyone is selling used, or go aftermarket/debadged.

Not much help, I know, perhapse call around to places that do plating in Calgary, as I've heard some can de-plate the parts which are covered by Chrome, Nickel, Copper, Brass, Gold, etc. without damaging the base metal. (anodic instead of cathodic plating methods)

Seanith
11-02-2005, 03:34 PM
Yeah I think Ben is right.. if i'm not mistaken the gold packages are just a different finish basically. I dont' think they just plate the chrome badges, so I don't think you can just take the gold plating off and have a beautiful chrome finish underneath :dunno:

luderollup
11-02-2005, 03:36 PM
its not plating on most of the newer cars... its just plastic.. im pretty sure i have a bunch of Acura emblems around my house somewhere.. ill check for ya when i get home

C4S
11-02-2005, 04:27 PM
where is those "gold plate" at?

if just on the logo, etc .. you can just buy a new one .. those are sticker!

Most the chrome parts ( plastic ) for a car, can be easy to replace! :D

Seanith
11-02-2005, 05:01 PM
Hes talking about the Gold Trim Packages.

lastprodigy
11-02-2005, 05:28 PM
Just find someone selling, the stock ones....or debadge would be the way to go :)

redevil
11-02-2005, 05:34 PM
The dealership cheats and gets someone to electroplate the plastic chrome parts. There are OEM parts that are gold that come from Acura, but I'm sure this is just the cheap method by plating.

Some of the parts have oxidation, which the OEM replacement parts should not happen to.

Debadging might be the way to go in the back end but there are parts on the front end that I would not debage cuz of the look.

lastprodigy
11-02-2005, 05:49 PM
debadge everythiing but the A