PDA

View Full Version : What do you do to your car tire for Winter driving

sansp
11-02-2005, 06:43 PM
Hi :D ,

I have a 2004 sentra which skids terribly on Ice in Winter with all season stock tires. Thus am looking for opinion....Pls select yr choice in the poll. Hopefully, will make my decision much easier. I got some chains from eBay for $5, so was hoping to use them before the season get wild.....freezy!!!
So answer me :whipped:

VetteRacin
11-02-2005, 06:55 PM
well your best bet would be to invest in a good set on non studded winter tires, around the city you really dont need the studs as of the new technology in tire compounds theese days, chains are good if you get stuck somewhere, but other then that they would be rough driving down the road

DJ Lazy
11-02-2005, 07:00 PM
New winters tires.

sansp
11-02-2005, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by VetteRacin
well your best bet would be to invest in a good set on non studded winter tires, around the city you really dont need the studs as of the new technology in tire compounds theese days, chains are good if you get stuck somewhere, but other then that they would be rough driving down the road

Well, so after winter what do you do with those winter tires. Do you have them removed and store in garage. I have read these winter tires loose their threading pretty fast on dry hot days ..like Calgary summer....If I let them remain during summer, then its as good as buying new Winter tires every year....

Weapon_R
11-02-2005, 07:11 PM
I believe that chains are illegal within city limits.

t-im
11-02-2005, 07:12 PM
Take them off ~ April, and put your summers/all-seasons on again.

Pee_Sack
11-02-2005, 07:12 PM
buy a set of winter tires and some steelies, come summer put your stock rims and new rubber if needed back on and just store the winter tires till next winter. rotate every season.

sansp
11-02-2005, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
I believe that chains are illegal within city limits.

Except for the city of Chicago in Winter, it is legal everywhere. Some states in USA have restrictions from Nov to March oe April I believe. So far I have not read it to be illegal anywhere. If you look at the new type of chains, they look pretty harmless for winter driving.

tictactoe2004
11-02-2005, 07:31 PM
wheres the "Drive like a rally car racer with all seasons" option?

lol

sansp
11-02-2005, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by tictactoe2004
wheres the "Drive like a rally car racer with all seasons" option?

lol

That was the most sensible one, thus didnt want to add it...

Hakkola
11-02-2005, 07:43 PM
I use studded tires and I love them, they sound awesome. I disagree with the comment on regular winters being as good as studded, this is true for snow but when it comes to ice the studs actually dig in and help give grip, there's no way a rubber tire will provide as much grip on ice as a studded tire will.

Foz
11-02-2005, 08:51 PM
Old winters just got put on yesterday.

Just in time for today!

hampstor
11-02-2005, 10:30 PM
which trim of sentra do you have? if you have a spec v, it'll be more cost effective to use steelies + winter tires ..

sansp
11-03-2005, 07:57 PM
I have a 1.8S

C4S
11-03-2005, 11:12 PM
He he .. Actually .. for the whole summer .. I was driving with winter tires .... no summer this yr .. and winter is back.. :(

sansp
11-05-2005, 05:23 PM
I just visited a Firestone shop..(not in Calgary), one of the tire mechanics advised me never to drive in summer with winter tires. He says, he has experienced it many times in summer when he gets his customer complaining that they loose the full threading of winter tires in 3 weeks of driving in summer.

As those compounds of winter tries are meant for cold temp, driving them is summer not recommended.

So, C4S....do u still have threading left on those Winter tires.