PDA

View Full Version : ADHD

iceburns288
11-02-2005, 08:30 PM
I think I have ADD/ADHD... I know it sounds stupid and someone's gonna call me paranoid... but I'm really, really smart, and my grades really really suck. I have a 3.06 GPA (3.03 last year), which is ok I guess. The thing is, since 4th grade, as long as I've been doing math competitions and contests at my school, I've only not won twice. I had the highest PSAT and SAT scores in my class too. I also can't sit still, literally, as sometimes I get a burning feeling that if I don't move or stand up I'll just start freakin out:dunno: .

What should I do?

Kobe
11-02-2005, 08:37 PM
Get dex, calms you down like crazy, just talk to your doctor about it...

I remember we would always take it before tests to be able to concentrate alot better.. works like a charm..

Davetronz
11-02-2005, 08:41 PM
Sounds more like anxiety.
"I also can't sit still, literally, as sometimes I get a burning feeling that if I don't move or stand up I'll just start freakin out"
The "freaking out" almost gives this away.

iceburns288
11-02-2005, 09:11 PM
Anxiety? You mean like stressin out?

It's not actually freakin out, not the feeling you get if you're like claustrophobic in a small space or somethin, but it's just that I get itchy all over... somethin like that. It's hard to describe because it hasn't really happened recently.:dunno:

tictactoe2004
11-02-2005, 09:25 PM
lol, like I usually say in posts like this... I would probably try talking to your doctor about it instead of people who are into doing up cars.

1-Cent
11-02-2005, 09:42 PM
I have ADD, its not something you just get one day lol If you were so brilliant before then the potential is still there but some other variable has obviously changed. Like said above anxiety could be the cause for sure, or maybe some underlying depression thats making you uneasy.

hash
11-02-2005, 09:58 PM
Hey iceburns,

Here's some of the clinical signs that are looked at:

Summary of DSM-IV Criteria for Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder

• Six (or more) identified symptoms of either inattention, hyperactivity/impulsivity, or both that have been present for 6 months and are maladaptive and inconsistent with developmental level
• Inattention includes symptoms such as poor attention to detail, frequent forgetfulness, distractibility, difficulty organizing tasks and responsibilities, and difficulty in maintaining attention or sustained mental effort in play, school, or work situations
• Hyperactivity/impulsivity includes symptoms such as frequent motor restlessness, excessive talking, difficulty remaining seated when necessary, interrupting others, and difficulty taking turns
• Some symptoms must be present before the age of 7 years
• Impairment from symptoms must be present in two or more settings (e.g., school and home)
• Must be evidence of clinically significant impairment in social, academic, or occupational functioning

I guess my advice would stem from that last point on there. How significantly is it affecting your life right now? Overdiagnosis of ADHD is a real problem, and getting on the meds might not always be the best solution. Like most neurological syndromes, its not completely understood either. Eliminating other behavioural stress factors are part of the solution as well.

Lastly, if you feel its getting worse, see your family doc!

1-Cent
11-02-2005, 10:13 PM
Some symptoms must be present before the age of 7 years

Davetronz
11-03-2005, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by iceburns288
It's not actually freakin out, not the feeling you get if you're like claustrophobic in a small space or somethin, but it's just that I get itchy all over... somethin like that.
From experiencing it first hand every single day... This sounds quite a bit like anxiety, or the starting of it...
And its not really "stressing-out" persay... Its hard to explain... Basically it could be something you are thinking about, something from your past, something in the future or just a case of restless mind/inability to slow down...

nismodrifter
11-03-2005, 12:32 AM
Ie: feels like you are going to blow up if you don't get up right that instant and do something?? I'd say anxiety over something. This is coming from someone who KNOWS anxiety hahahaha.
If you are seriously concerned about it then do make a trip to your doctor...

AllGoNoShow
11-03-2005, 12:32 AM
• Inattention includes symptoms such as poor attention to detail, frequent forgetfulness, distractibility, difficulty organizing tasks and responsibilities, and difficulty in maintaining attention or sustained mental effort in play, school, or work situations

Everyone of those things sounds exactly like me :D

Fivewayradio
11-03-2005, 11:19 AM
I have ADD and I can't sit still for long. I have to force myself to remain on task and it takes a lot of concentration to do so. I understand what you mean about being restless. I often feel that way.

If you think you have ADD you should go to your doctor or a psychologist and get a professional diagnosis. Dexedrine or Ritalin may help, though may not be necessary. If you're young and still in school I'd suggest start looking at career choices that allow you to be active and to multi-task, but are still challenging and rewarding. Stay away from jobs that require repetition or that aren't stimulating or challenging. And if you can find something that allows you to move around a bit, even better.

For example, working in film requires that you're constantly moving to new locations and you're always moving around and doing something different. Even if you're doing the same job, say grip, or electrician or whatever, it's different every time you do it. I'm sure there are lots of examples of similar jobs.

Also there are several good books on ways to manage ADD. They are worth a read as there are lots of good tips for staying focused and for getting things done if you're forgetful.

~Leah~
11-03-2005, 11:22 AM
It does sound like you're experiencing more problems with anxiety than with ADD. It is possible, however, to be diagnosed with ADD later in life, even if some symptoms weren't present before the age of 7. But I still think Dave's onto something with suggesting anxiety with you.

Toma
11-03-2005, 05:03 PM
Your intake of EFA's is most likely way to low....

Been conclusively linked to ADHD and learning disorders in a lot of case... ie, its not the only cause, but it is in many instances....

Davetronz
11-03-2005, 07:30 PM
What is an EFA?

illeagle
11-03-2005, 07:39 PM
i think i have ADD... what are we talking about again? :confused:

anyways, my mom's a heavy drinker.

mdeleon
11-03-2005, 08:41 PM
haha asshole....i was waiting for someone to pull off that joke

hockeybronx
11-03-2005, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by tictactoe2004
lol, like I usually say in posts like this... I would probably try talking to your doctor about it instead of people who are into doing up cars.

:werd: x10000

iceburns288
11-04-2005, 04:56 PM
BTW, I don't think I got it overnight:nut: . It's just something I never really thought about, I just thought it was normal:confused:

BTW, if I had it, I wouldn't have it really severely, because I can always finish my tests on time. I dunno if that has to do with the fact that I'm smart enough to do the work really quickly, which makes up for it...? I took a history test Monday, and I ended up not even starting it till 10 minutes after the period began.:banghead:

BTW, WebMD has a list of ADD symptoms like that, and you can check off yes/no etc to different kinds of questions and it 'rates' you... it said 16 was about normal/mild ADD (everyone has it, just not enough to effect them) and 25+ was severe. I got 39. I was like 'wtf?':confused:

Raz2
11-04-2005, 05:06 PM
I've had ADHD my entire life, never been treated for it before I moved to Canada and started University. I'm known to be fairly intelligent, and to talk too much - but I never got good grades, never was interested in schooling, nor could I be bothered to even be in school :)

ADHD is a good thing, if you need to focous on a task, take some Dexadrine (I do it for Tests, helps me keep a focus, and I usually finish the test in 1/4 of the time allowed and get a 90%+ :)). Other than that, enjoy the amount of energy you have, the fact that you can think about 10 things at once and do another.

Learn to focus your ADD for good, not evil, young padawan.

- Rasmus.

JAYMEZ
11-04-2005, 05:08 PM
^^ Dude you dont sound like you have it , and taking DEX is not the best solution at all. I know what you mean , how you are really smart but you dont get the best grades , I am the exact same , I think I just have really crappy studying habits , and some times I get really frustrated with staying in one spot..

Have you tried taking up any sports or things like that? Maybe you just have alot of energy , that could explain how you want to move around. As for the grades , you might just need to study more , even though you know it all , studying still helps.

Hakkola
11-04-2005, 07:29 PM
Dude that sucks, I get the same feelings some times, and my marks have slipped drastically, I'm sucking at math right now, and it's funny because I was once the student of the term.

The feeling when sitting still is the worst. I'm at work right now and I'm sitting down, I feel like I need to run around the building.

I don't think the problem is ADD though, it's possible that you aren't challenged by your work, you find it boring so you don't study, that's what I've found anyway.

And not being able to sit still, I personally have a high metabolism, I eat a lot but am always twiddling and can't sit still and I'm skinny.

You have a high metabolism? If so those are probably the 2 problems, you always want to be active and school is too easy so you don't bother trying.

iceburns288
11-05-2005, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
Have you tried taking up any sports or things like that? Maybe you just have alot of energy , that could explain how you want to move around. As for the grades , you might just need to study more , even though you know it all , studying still helps.

I run cross country... that saps a lot of energy:D

iceburns288
08-31-2006, 08:26 PM
I found out what was up... I've been diagnosed with Tourette's. Rock on:D

Pacman
09-01-2006, 08:50 AM
"Ask you doctor if Strattera is right for you"

Impreza
09-01-2006, 09:07 AM
Is there medication to help you out?

I am going to hell for laughing at this but....

http://www.tourettesguy.com/

iceburns288
09-01-2006, 04:35 PM
Heh, I think the Tourette's guy is funny too:D . I don't have it that bad, or I'd know about it by now... only 15% of people with Tourette's have that side effect of shouting obscenities... There's a medical name for it that I'm unaware of.

Oz-
09-01-2006, 05:15 PM
One of the best bball players ever out of LSU had this, Chris Jackson. Not sure if you remember him, but he was a bit of an outcast once he didn't stand for the anthems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahmoud_Abdul-Rauf

Either way, he struggled with the issues you describe. That is how he got so good, wouldn't leave unless he got 100 free throws just right or 10 three pointers just right. Turned into an obessive sort of thing for him.