PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic Health and Wellness in Calgary

dcoultis
11-02-2005, 09:26 PM
Hey guys...

My parents are in the process of purchasing this gym (expect to have possession on the 15th of the month) It's located in S.E Calgary right off of Glenmore trail.

I was just wondering if any of you guys have ever heard of it and what are your opinions of this gym are. You know, stuff that you could tell me that could help us out making the club better then what it already is. Any help is appreciated, even if you haven't been to this gym. Tell me what you'd like to see in a gym

Maybe I could even offer up discounts for beyond members ;)

Thanks a ton. :)

1-Cent
11-02-2005, 09:58 PM
I've never been there but my 0.02 would be to keep the rules to a minimum to allow for the widest range of skill levels. The only ones I'd expect would be to do with courtisy and hygene like putting the weights away, leaving your station clean and bringing your own towels, no cell phones, things like that.

Most gyms leave out the experianced lifters when they design their rule system and they're the ones who will be most loyal and bring the most referals if they like the place. Things like no dropping the weights, no groaning, etc. its understandable that dropping the weights can damage them over time but it can be avoided if the free weight area has rubber padding on the floor which costs next to nothing.

James
11-03-2005, 02:37 AM
Wow...i dont go to the gym for a week cause of a back injury and its being sold, crazy. I've been going to Dynamic for about a year and a half, overall i really like it, theres quite a few regulars that have been there for years. The membership rates are really good, especially if u do a long term (my membership dosnt run out till Jan. '07). Of course its not some fancy place with all kinds of bells and whistles, but it has everything you need (or so i think), wide variety of free wieghts, machines, cardio etc.......my only real complaint is the weekend hours 9-4, I just dont have time sometimes to get there as i work out in the evenings, maybe thats normal weekend hours for a gym, not sure.:dunno: ....oh and there are several leaks in the roof, lol....for real, its an older building.....congrats on the purchase though:thumbsup:

theken
11-03-2005, 02:42 AM
it needs a sauna or something, i used to be a member but i am too lazy now.

digi355
11-03-2005, 03:38 AM
Dynamic is being sold? News to me. I am there 3-4 times a week. I like that it is reasonably priced, I pay 25 a month up front and get 14 months out of it. I have been there since 98. Jessica the girl that worked there just quit and moved to Toronto. She was an X-stripper turn personal trainer always made it worth a trip.

The night guy is pretty useless. It seems that he is to good to clean. The bathrooms are disgusting I guess it’s not in his job description to change the hand towels. It is literally empty 70% percent of the time.

The rest of the staff are friendly and pretty good looking (all chicks).

It is your basic gym with basic equipment. Your parents should leave it like that. There is allot of competition in the area that caters to the higher end (50 + a month). There are 2 gyms in Douglas Glen and I believe another one is ready to open in M Towne.

Dynamic has done a good job catering to the working class and should remain focused on that demographic. The location is perfect as it borders on the industrial area, CP Rail yards, and Ogden. It is usually busy between 12-1, 4-6. the rest of the time it is dead. I have never waited for a piece of equipment after these times. Everyone that works out there has no problem sharing the equipment so even during peak hours the waits are usually non existent.

As I said above it is a basic gym and showing some ware. The equipment is dated and it would be nice to see some newer gear (hammers) but it works just fine. Last time I checked weights don’t break. Again it comes back to how much you want to pay. Cosmetically it needs allot of touch ups. The roof leaks pretty bad, the carpet is badly worn. The Hardwood floor is in good shape and is apx. 800 square feet.

They claim that it is an 800 member gym but I would say there is a steady 50-60 regulars. Like any gym I’m sure there are allot of people that are going to get back into it tomorrow or the next day. I would be surprised to find out this constitutes 700 people. I guess the only thing that would prove that is the balance statement.

I have often said if I ever won the lottery I would buy the place and fix it up a bit. I wouldn’t do it for the money but more for something to pass the time. Nailing the help would be a fringe benefit. I didn’t even know it was for sale. What are they asking if you don’t mind me asking (PM ME) ? Whatever it is knock 15g’s off to resurface the pads, fix the roof and replace the carpet.

Anyway if there is anything else you need shoot me a PM.

PS, we don’t need a sauna.

Kamdem
06-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Terrible management and customer service. Once your contract is over they will not stop taking funds out of your account. I have launched a complaint with the Calgary Better Business Bureau. Highly recommend staying away from this place!

kutt3r
06-06-2009, 09:18 AM
I had two friends looking at it a year or two back but the lease was messed up so they decided not to... it is a great gym for what it was a year ago or so.

KEEP IT A GYM and not a fitness spot.. one of the few places in Calgary where you can use chalk and lift heavy without someone staring at you.

The bathrooms were really gross for sure...

digi355
06-16-2009, 09:50 PM
I left Dynamic for my basement about 2 years ago, when I left, it had pretty much fallen apart. Sorry to hear the new owners ruined a good thing...