DowntownCowboy
11-03-2005, 10:36 AM
Tribune Restaurant & Bar
118 8 Avenue Southwest 100, Calgary, AB T2P1B3
(403) 269-3160

Food: 2/5
Ambience: 5/5
Service: 4/5

Had lunch with 2 co-workers last week, it was their 2nd week open. Walking in its hard not to be wowed, it has to be the nicest restaurant I've been to in Calgary. The Belvedere, Murrieta's, The Ranch, Ric's Grill, River Cafe, Divino's, La Tavola have nothing on it. I don't know how much they spent, but the tin ceiling, great furniture, stunning main level bar, exposed brick downstairs, comfy leather chairs and vessel sinks didn't look cheap.

The waiter, whose intro was mostly apologies for not having 1/2 the wine and a few of the menu items available (the menu from chef Andrew Keen was "a work in progress"), started off by bringing us a Boundary Bay shiraz, which was the best part of the meal. The menu was incredibly random with no real theme. A chicken dish here, veal, crab, sandwich & fries, it seemed like too many people had a say in it.

I started with the Duck Cofin Nicoise Salad (duck came right off the bone as promised, it was more meat than salad, too salty though), and had the Veal as a main (nothing special, sauce was very weak, potato cake was good). My co-workers both had the most expensive thing on the lunch menu, a $22 seafood mix in a tomato broth. Neither were impressed, I tried it and the seafood didn't taste fresh (we are in Calgary, but the Catch does much better), and the broth had no bite. We weren't offered fresh pepper either.

By the end of the meal we weren't satisfied, but still not in a mood to have dessert because we just wanted to leave without donating more to the cause. Total bill was $130 before t/t. I'd return one day for a drink upstairs, but I'll wait til the menu settles out before I sit down for a meal.

3g4me
11-03-2005, 12:04 PM
Its super nice in there. I was on the design team for the renovations, and you should have seen what the downstairs looked like before. It was like an old cement walls no light, i found a case of coke from 1900's! down there. lol Ya it was amazing to see the transformation. Havent eat there yet, but my companys x-mas party is there so i will check it out.:D

DC328is
11-26-2005, 09:43 PM
I ate at the Tribune just yesterday.

Ambience 4/5
food 4/5
service 3.5/5

We ordered the Pot eu feu and the 8 ounce steak
overall i think it was delicious. the portion wasnt too bad. the steak was very tastey (sweet) and very tender. and my pot eau fau had a delicious onion soup with it ( its like stew)
the atmosphere is wonderful i have to admit. price range 22-28$ entree

they didnt offer fresh pepper either. however, they played tacky music which wasnt my taste but other than that good place to dine!

bigboom
11-27-2005, 04:43 PM
had lunch about two weeks ago and the menu was like stated above a little random. but the ambience was awesome, those big chairs are pretty comfy to sit on :)

however the food was not so good. i dont think i would go back for the food, maybe for a date or something just for the atmosphere.

DC328is
11-27-2005, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by bigboom
had lunch about two weeks ago and the menu was like stated above a little random. but the ambience was awesome, those big chairs are pretty comfy to sit on :)

however the food was not so good. i dont think i would go back for the food, maybe for a date or something just for the atmosphere.

what did u eat there??
but yes for a date this place is awesome.

3g4me
12-01-2005, 02:56 PM
Im having my company x-mas party there on saturday. Ill write up a review on my experience.