PDA

View Full Version : Offshore Oil Rig Job?

wrxer1
11-03-2005, 03:29 PM
I am currently looking to break in to the petroleum industry and have been looking into working at an offshore oil rig near Texas.

Does anyone have any experience with this? How difficult is it (legal wise) to work down there?

Thx

Sophal
11-03-2005, 06:11 PM
i know a power lineman that went down to phoenix to work out there and he had to get a work visa and from what i can understand is that it was pretty expensive.

insane240
11-03-2005, 06:17 PM
to get a job in the US you must either be from the US, have a green card, or apply for a work visa whcih usually has to be renewed every 6 months... Most companies will provide the work visa for you .. thats about all i know.. cant tell you about any off shore jobs..

retro-steve
11-03-2005, 06:22 PM
if the rig is in international waters you may be able to get around a work visa...

redx2nv
11-04-2005, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by retro-steve
if the rig is in international waters you may be able to get around a work visa...

Its is dependent on which the country is paying you./.

You may get around it if you are employed with a canadian subcontractor working for for an american company.

Tha VZA
11-05-2005, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by insane240
to get a job in the US you must either be from the US, have a green card, or apply for a work visa whcih usually has to be renewed every 6 months... Most companies will provide the work visa for you .. thats about all i know.. cant tell you about any off shore jobs..

actually i am pretty sure you can re-new it on a yearly basis...my dad does this once a year...so yeah

and yes companies will help arrange it so you can work down there for them...just have to talk to them about it and say "yes i can re-locate, but will need aid with the legal side of it"

off shore would be sweet.....but watch out for the monthly hurricane they are getting down there now :thumbsdow

ciao

colinderksen
11-07-2005, 05:42 PM
Good money, hard to get on a crew, boring as fuck out on the water.

Dave P
11-07-2005, 06:28 PM
With recent weather patters (a fuck load of hurricanes) i would never work one of those rigs

fuck the money

CSMRX7
11-08-2005, 09:57 AM
To be honest, if you don't have any special skills you will be hard pressed to geta company to sponsor you for a work permit.

I am not sure what type of rig you want to work on (production or drilling) but they usually like to hire people with some onshore experience as well.

I have worked both onshore and offshore on both drilling and production platforms, and I would work offshore over onshore any day.

kaput
11-08-2005, 03:58 PM

wrxer1
11-11-2005, 02:02 PM
"Why go offshore?"
Hmm, northern alberta in the middle of winter or gulf of mexico?

Also, does anyone know the pay difference between on/offshore?

kaput
11-12-2005, 11:30 AM

kolumbo69
11-12-2005, 11:43 AM
I thought i would add this little bit under your working visa for the united states be perepared to go to war if they start mandatory conscription.

ca2p3r
11-13-2005, 07:34 PM
^ haha are you sure? having a visa for six months down there doesnt make you an american citizen ...

Vagabond142
11-13-2005, 08:14 PM
From what I understand, it's actually better to work in Alberta in "all weather" conditions before applying to offshore work, as it will show well on your resume that you can work well in hot, cold, etc. Who knows, you may go to work for a company in Texas that operates a North Atlantic rig. :dunno:

broken_legs
11-13-2005, 08:34 PM
Offshore work pays more...

But i really dont understand why you wouldnt work in Alberta.

Id take the bitter cold of a few winter months in alberta over suffocating heat and humidity in the Gulf anyday

Might be nice if you were sitting on a beach but its not nice when you are working in 70%+ humidity in 40c+ weather swinging around tongs in your invert soaked covies

just my two cents