PDA

View Full Version : HouseBoating in BC

gggunit
11-03-2005, 05:41 PM
Anyone ever go houseboating in the shuswap or Kelowna area? Whats a good place to get a boat.. I heard you have to book fairly early to get good deals

Grip172
11-03-2005, 06:08 PM
yeah i'm looking into this too

i heard you have to book in like january!

Barking_Spidre
11-03-2005, 06:10 PM
If you wanted in the prime time, not sure when, and one of the huge boats, you're outta luck for 2006. I'd say book now for 2007. But there's always somewhere open.

And the price is dependant of when you get it, theres the high season, then medium, then low.
http://www.twinanchors.com/
http://www.bcadventure.com/3buoys/
http://www.bcadventure.com/waterway/

There's a couple sites. Hope that helps.

rtsen
11-03-2005, 06:23 PM
would april be too soon to go? would the water be too cold?

Kirbs17
11-03-2005, 06:31 PM
Check into it, you wont know until you call. the cheap boats are: Sun N Fun vacations, located at www.houseboatholidays.com. Ive been with them, and with www.Waterwayhouseboats.com.

Water ways boats are significantly nicer. But a lot more expensive. I am planning my trip in January, and they usually have smaller boats available.

sharstar
11-04-2005, 03:18 PM
Hey,

Houseboating on the Shuswap is seriously the most fun you'll have in your entire life! It is such a gong show..anyway i've been many times and I'm from Salmon Arm so this is the low down. It is best to go out of Sicamous, Kelowna is not even half as good. Besides everyone goes to Sicamous. You have to go at the right time or else it would just suck and your expectations wouldnt be met! The biggest and best party is July long weekend, some people stay a little bit into August but the good parties are over by MOnday. Its best at this time because that is when it is hottest and you can swim.
There will be plenty of boats left, we always end up booking late and never have a problem with getting a boat. By late i mean March or April..i havent heard about being sold out for 2006, so dont worry. The beautiful boats are available at twin anchors mainly, three bouys and waterways are right behind it. There are a few companies with cheaper boats..fun n sun and something else i cant remember what its called right now. I wouldnt go with 3 bouys because they dont allow their boats at 3 beaches, and you know one of them is Neilson beach the one where all the best parties take place. And i've heard that if they see it, they will tow you back and your trip is over, plus your insurance is void. So dont go with them.
But for real it is sofa king fun. Imagine over 100 boats lined up on the shore all ready to party...

Hope this helps,
Shar

gonefishing
11-07-2005, 10:48 AM
i went last year for the first time , we used SUN-N-FUN and they were okay. their boats are not as nice as the other companies but it was clean and met all of our needs plus it was like $600 cheaper than the other same size boats. i'm definately gonna try and go again this year but will try to go in JULY or AUG becuase we went the first week of SEPT and there were only families out at that time. Were probably gonna try to use Twin Anchors this year becuase they have the pimpest boats.

Ekliptix
11-07-2005, 12:43 PM
Make sure you close the back door when the generator's going.

brettg
11-07-2005, 01:01 PM
I have been houseboating probably 50 times in my life time and it is the most fun you will ever have. My grandpa and my uncle are owners of Three Buoys house botas in sicamous. you have to book eary if you want to go in prime season, which is just a giant party.

The sea store is sweet, you can by almost anthing you want and ever rent sea doos if you want, which are so much fun.

They have boats now which can sleep like 25 people, so if you can get one of thoes boats it is amazing.

brettg
11-07-2005, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by sharstar
Hey,

. I wouldnt go with 3 bouys because they dont allow their boats at 3 beaches, and you know one of them is Neilson beach the one where all the best parties take place. And i've heard that if they see it, they will tow you back and your trip is over, plus your insurance is void. So dont go with them.

Hope this helps,
Shar

Ya this is true they try and keep most of their clients to older people, more familes and adults and stuff like that. just way to many boats trashed when people like my self se them.

nelson beach is cray, litterally over 100 boats lined up next to each other, like not even 3 feet apart, fires up and down the beach it is great.

I highly recomend it, i mean i am bias cause my parents own a boat but still it is great.

'93 SR-V
11-07-2005, 11:17 PM
My friends and I have made houseboating on shuswap an annual trip. I don't really thing you have to book early to get a good deal, in fact some of the best deals are last minute bookings because the companies are trying to book up the last remaining boats. That being said, I wouldn't wait until the last minute, because when you're trying to get a group of people to cough up $5 000+, you'll want all the time you can get.

We've gone with waterways and twin anchors in the past. They seem to have the nicest boats, but are also the most expensive. Three buoys has decent boats, but you can't take them anywhere fun, so I'd stay away from them. If you're on a budget sun n fun and sum r fun are the ghetto boats, they're cheap, but I've been on a few of them on the beaches, and they sucked nuts, but it's something to consider anyway.

I'm planning to start organizing my summer trip in the next few weeks, as it takes a while to get everybody together, and collect their money. If you have any questions about booking, companies, etc just ask.

yohan4ws
11-16-2005, 12:03 PM
somebody should plan a beyondhouseboating trip?

uh huh uh huh...

rip
11-16-2005, 12:26 PM
Awesome time, i would recommend it to anyone wanting to have an awesome time. For this year some of the bigger boats are already booked for July and Aug long weekends.

We went with 2 of the bigger boats from twin anchors and waterways.

rip
11-16-2005, 12:26 PM
another pic

rip
11-16-2005, 12:35 PM
About half of our ~$5000 booze order.

rip
11-16-2005, 12:37 PM
Wicked parties all day on the lake then at night on the beaches.

~Leah~
11-16-2005, 12:54 PM
I'm trying to get some people together for a trip in early July or late June. Anyone who wants to come just PM me. I'm looking for about 20 peeps.

~Leah~
11-16-2005, 01:20 PM
P.S. That is a lot of f'n booze!!

P.P.S. Would 3 days or a full week be better for people? I'd love the week, but I'm sure half the people that would be coming have full time jobs to tend to....

Ben
11-16-2005, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by ~Leah~

P.P.S. Would 3 days or a full week be better for people? I'd love the week, but I'm sure half the people that would be coming have full time jobs to tend to....

When you're going on a grand scale such as house boating, thats not something you just do for a weekend. You have to go for AT LEAST 5 days.

plus it gives more probability to hit nice weather, would suck to go for a weekend and have it rain the whole time.

finboy
11-16-2005, 08:55 PM
houseboating eh? :thumbsup:

sweetchariot
11-17-2005, 12:32 AM
:thumbsdow To Blue water....our fucking fridge broke down. They asked "did you put warm liquid in it?"....well of course dumb ass!!!....then they refused to come out. From what I saw (or remember:barf: )....Go with Water Ways, everyone gets there own bedroom, and there boats totally rock!!!!
:clap:

'93 SR-V
11-17-2005, 04:01 AM

I'd go for a week if you can do it. The reason being that the first day is half driving there, filling out forms, loading up the boat, going through how everything works, etc, and the last day you have to be back at like 3pm, so you don't really get a whole lot of time on the last day.

~Leah~
11-17-2005, 03:34 PM
I just got an email back from Waterways....

We can have the Mirage 66 (http://www.waterwayhouseboats.com/houseboats/mir66.htm) for June 16-22 at the Value rate for the 7 days. $6374+tax works out to approximately $300ish per person if we take the full 24 people.

We can also have the Mirage 65U (http://www.waterwayhouseboats.com/houseboats/mir65u.htm) for June 16-22 or June 19-26. Again, the value rate for 7 days comes out to approximately $250ish per person if we take the full 22 people.

Anyone seriously want in? I will be collecting $50 from everyone to reserve a spot on the boat for them.

~Leah~
11-17-2005, 06:25 PM
Okay I also just got an email back from Twin Anchors. We can do a week thing there from June 23 - June 30th for 7 nights for $6810.98 including taxes and insurance buydown. Which, if we have the full 22 people works out to about $310/person. And this one is for the CruiseCraft III (http://www.twinanchors.com/vacation/houseboat/cciii-floorplan.php).

What does everyone like better here?

~Leah~
11-17-2005, 06:43 PM
I just got an email back from Waterways....

We can have the Mirage 66 (http://www.waterwayhouseboats.com/houseboats/mir66.htm) for June 16-22 at the Value rate for the 7 days. $6374+tax works out to approximately $300ish per person if we take the full 24 people.

We can also have the Mirage 65U (http://www.waterwayhouseboats.com/houseboats/mir65u.htm) for June 16-22 or June 19-26. Again, the value rate for 7 days comes out to approximately $250ish per person if we take the full 22 people.

Anyone seriously want in? I will be collecting $50 from everyone to reserve a spot on the boat for them.

Okay I also just got an email back from Twin Anchors. We can do a week thing there from June 23 - June 30th for 7 nights for $6810.98 including taxes and insurance buydown. Which, if we have the full 22 people works out to about $310/person. And this one is for the CruiseCraft III (http://www.twinanchors.com/vacation/houseboat/cciii-floorplan.php).

What does everyone like better here?

Okay just for my own good... a comparison in one post for all 3 boats.

Company: Waterways
Boat: Mirage 66 (http://www.waterwayhouseboats.com/houseboats/mir66.htm)
# Ppl: 24
Dates: June 16-22
Total Cost: $6374 + tax = $7266.36
Cost/person: $302.77 (plus insurance which would be roughly $1.00/day/person

Company: Waterways
Boat: Mirage 65U (http://www.waterwayhouseboats.com/houseboats/mir65u.htm)
# Ppl: 22
Dates: June 16-22 or June 19-26
Total Cost: $4817 + tax = $5491.38
Cost/person: $249.61 (plus insurance which would be roughly $1.15/day/person

Company: Twin Anchors
Boat: CruiseCraft III (http://www.twinanchors.com/vacation/houseboat/cciii-floorplan.php)
# Ppl: 22
Dates: June 23 - June 30th
Total Cost: $6810.98 including taxes and insurance buydown
Cost/person: $309.59

'93 SR-V
11-17-2005, 07:31 PM
The mirage 66 and Cruise Craft III are both very nice boats. I've been on a few 3's in the past, and they are very roomy, and nicely set up. The mirage 66 is (or at least was) what we were planning to get this year, but waterways has been giving us a bit of grief over the discount we are entitled to due to their screw ups last year. Nonetheless, I'd go for the 66 over the 65 if you're looking to go with waterways. It works out to be like another $8/day/person... not a big deal in the big picture.

If you don't mind me asking, how many people do you have interested in going? You may want to consider filling the boat a little under capacity, as they kind of over rate the sleeping capacity (the CC3 sleeps 22, but that's with 4 people in the living room, and like 4 people in cuddies, which are very small!). Just something to consider, although it raises the price per person a bit.

Kirbs17
11-17-2005, 08:08 PM
The mirage 66 and the cruise craft are both the way to go. They are easily the nicest boats on the lake. Id be down for anything

PGTze
11-17-2005, 08:18 PM
I've been on the Mirage 66, it says it sleeps 24. It could maybey sleep 24 people, if 20 of those people were midgets.

Here's how that boat breaks down in if you look at the floorplan.

second deck: 2 beds that could sleep 2 each = 4 total

first deck: beds labeled 12's (bunk) could sleep 4 total each room if u cram like hell. Beds labeled 11's can fit 2 each if u cram like hell. Then theres the kitchen tabel which is supposed to turn into a bed, but after a few cocktails that table (#9)gets filthy and no one is gonna set that shit up. The couch (#10) could sleep 2 people as well, but that's usually where the most drunk person ends up passing out, so it's not really all that usable.

the 'cubby's': I crashed in one of these shit holes. Basicly it's a couple of storage bins that they threw a matress in and called it a 'room'. If your clausterphobic(sp?!?), don't get in one of these, the roof is about 6 inches from your face. 1 person max, or two midgets.

This means the boat actually sleeps more like 17 or 18 people. Now it's not like everyone always ends up in their own bed every night, but it's still nice to have ur own space to pass out. The boat is nice though, and remeber to puke overboard, not in the toilet:barf: :barf: :barf:

~Leah~
11-17-2005, 11:38 PM
Well I actually also have 2 twin and 1 double air matress with a pump... so that might work too? Just on helping keep the cost/person down. I had a feeling those #'s were only for the crammed.

Is anyone so in that they're ready to give a deposit? Cuz I need to book the boat like... this week to guarantee the dates. I thought the Mirage 66 was super nice too, as well as the CruiseCraft 3... just depends on the dates I suppose, cuz they are similar in price.

What dates work best? I would say the later the better probably, with the hopes of nicer weather and stuff.

modded46
11-18-2005, 01:08 AM
I would definitely recommend the twin anchors, I was out there last year on a waterways and it was ok, but the boat definitely had some issues not to mention the waterways boat beside ours hot tub blew up on them :)

It's actually better if possible to go in the low season.. If you're thinking about June 16 anyway, you might as well save quite a bit of money and go a couple weeks before. Also, you really don't need to be out there for 7 days.. Honestly, after about 3 your liver won't be able to handle much more then that.. You gotta think about the fact that you're going to need food, alcohol and everything else while sitting on a boat for 7 days.. Going back into town really isn't practical although it can be done. You'll spend a whole day just travelling back and forth.

Just my suggestions but go either earlier or for less time and get a bigger boat. The boat is everything, if you need better sleeping quarters, which you will want, get a bigger boat, etc..

When I was out there.. Mr. Getzlaf was on a boat, obviously celebrating his departure for Anahiem and of course he had the biggest boat out there but seriously really wasn't that much at all..

http://www.twinanchors.com/vacation/houseboat/ccv-floorplan.php

Gigidy Gigidy.

Kirbs17
11-18-2005, 01:15 AM
Go as late in the summer, as close to august as possible. I wouldnt be ready to give a deposit now, but come christmas I could outright pay my portion in full. I also know that if we are in need of people, ive got a few friends (nate24 and barking_spidre) who would be willing to come.

~Leah~
Thanks for all the feedback people, keep it coming!

And Mr. Getzlaf being out there on a boat... haha funny, I was supposed to be out there for that but got stuck working :thumbsdow It doesn't surprise me though cuz that kid is an absolute shitshow. (No I'm not trying to name drop or pretending to know him... we grew up together and he was my grad date, I have bragging rights about this hahah)

modded46
One last thing, it's totally true what the other guy said about the number of people.. aim for 20.. don't believe the 22 or 24 etc.. we had 16 on a fairly big boat and it was MORE than enough.. the cubby holes are good for storing shit and that's about it.

Kirbs17
Oh, and if you need any help with planning, let me know :D Ive planned 2 trips in the previous

modded46
11-18-2005, 01:16 AM
Yah well let's just say the wet t-shirt contest was on his boat.. Good times to say the least.

~Leah~
11-18-2005, 01:17 AM
Haha of course, the puckbunnies'll do that no problem :P

Kirbs17
11-18-2005, 01:18 AM
man, this has all the makings of being a wicked trip. and im going back in august!

~Leah~
11-18-2005, 01:19 AM
Heck yes it does!! I say we do the 2nd annual Beyond Camping trip to BC in August too :D

modded46
11-18-2005, 01:24 AM
I'd definitely like to do the camping this year... Not sure if I can do the houseboat, my liver is still recovering from June.. I'm old :)

Our problem was that the guy who organized it also bought all the alcohol, which was nice, but we had everything from whiskey to wine to beer, to you name it.. mixing on a boat, on a beach, with lord knows what else from BC floating around makes for a very very ugly boat trip. Of course breakfast of champions Coors Light i'm sure didn't help either..

Oh man, i need to get back out there hahaha

~Leah~
11-18-2005, 01:28 AM
The camping was a damn great time as well, but so many people backed out. Not cool people.

modded46
11-18-2005, 01:31 AM
sometimes it's not the amount of people it's the quality of the people that go.

~Leah~
11-18-2005, 01:35 AM
Oh totally... the 8 of us that actually went had one hell of a time....

Imagine have 20 quality people on this houseboating trip, just imagine!

modded46
11-18-2005, 01:37 AM
Sounds like a damn good time to me

:werd:

Kirbs17
11-18-2005, 11:10 AM
For sure. In the two instances that ive went, people have had to bring their own food, and their own alchohol. This has worked well for me, because no one gets offended if you dont bring something that they wanted.I think going for a week would be a complete shit show:thumbsup: That means you could hit up some of the other lakes further in the shwap. Theres an amazing island to go cliff diving off of.

Oh, Leah: Do you numbers from above include te ~$25 dollar environmental charge, and also the gas charge?

sputnik
11-18-2005, 11:25 AM
I have found that it works well if you plan out a couple of the bigger meals (especially meat). What I have done in the past is get a couple entire beef tenderloins and cut them up into steaks and BBQ them fresh. A couple boxes of frozen burgers and smokies is always easy too. Even breakfast is easy, few 4L milk, few giant size cereal, 3-4 lbs of bacon, few doz eggs and maybe a big bag of pancake mix

I find with "bring your own food" you end up with 20 bottles of ketchup, 20 bottles of mustard and 20 different bottles of salad dressing and space in the fridge gets limited.

Kirbs17
11-18-2005, 11:27 AM
:werd: Thats very true as well. I've always known the people ive gone with, so there has been a lot of conversation about who brings what condiments

Tahoe
11-22-2005, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by modded46
Yah well let's just say the wet t-shirt contest was on his boat.. Good times to say the least.

Pictures? :whipped:

Kirbs17
11-22-2005, 02:06 PM
:rofl: :rofl: ahh greenhorns.

Tahoe
11-22-2005, 02:36 PM
?

~Leah~
11-27-2005, 08:08 PM
OKAY!!!

Sorry I didn't get back to some of you in PM, I got really busy then booked it last second tonite.

So it's done

WATERWAYS
June 13-19, 2006
Mirage 66

Anyone interested, send me a PM and I'll tell you whats gonna happen with deposit, and total costs and what not!

I'm excited!

~Leah~
12-09-2005, 11:39 AM
So is anyone interested in coming on this??

~Leah~
12-13-2005, 01:49 AM
Okay due to lack of interest, trip is cancelled. If you did show interest, please contact me for details! (There's something smaller going on)

iluv2Bmom
03-28-2013, 01:28 PM
I prefer Lake Koocanusa with Sunshine Houseboat Vacations. The price you see on their website is all inclusive. The price I seen was the price I paid and it even included taxes, insurance, propane AND FUEL!! That was one of my deciding factors when I was searching. The other was that they don't have the crowding so we got a big beautiful warm sandy beach all to ourselves! It was great! There is this spot where you can go cliff diving! So exhilarating!

Check out their website: www.sunshinehouseboats.com
Or their Facebook page: www.facebook.com/SunshineHouseboatVacations

You can get a quote emailed to you or just talk to their friendly staff.
1-877-489-2610

Can you tell I'm a huge fan! lol

iluv2Bmom
03-28-2013, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by gggunit
Anyone ever go houseboating in the shuswap or Kelowna area? Whats a good place to get a boat.. I heard you have to book fairly early to get good deals

I prefer Lake Koocanusa with Sunshine Houseboat Vacations. The price you see on their website is all inclusive. The price I seen was the price I paid and it even included taxes, insurance, propane AND FUEL!! That was one of my deciding factors when I was searching. The other was that they don't have the crowding so we got a big beautiful warm sandy beach all to ourselves! It was great! There is this spot where you can go cliff diving! So exhilarating!

Check out their website: www.sunshinehouseboats.com
Or their Facebook page: www.facebook.com/SunshineHouseboatVacations

You can get a quote emailed to you or just talk to their friendly staff.
1-877-489-2610

Can you tell I'm a huge fan! lol

darthVWader
03-28-2013, 01:55 PM
Double post bump of an 8 year old thread :thumbsup:

ExtraSlow
03-28-2013, 01:58 PM
I prefer that we ban people who bump old threads to promote companies that they are affiliated with.

Tik-Tok
03-28-2013, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by iluv2Bmom

Can you tell I'm the owner! lol

Fixed.