PDA

View Full Version : Wheels one-piece vs. multi-piece?

the-law
11-04-2005, 02:38 PM
Besides style are there any pro's or con's between choosing a one piece rim and a two piece rim? The two piece rims seem to be gaining in popularity, but are there any beneifts besdies looking different?
Thanks in advance.

AllGoNoShow
11-04-2005, 05:50 PM
I will see if I can digup the article for yah but the one thing that was different between some companies, not all is that the one piece is much stronger. Some of the companies were cheaping out on strength of the two piece to sell for the same price and make money, and on some high performance cars the rims were not staying their original shape because of torsion.

Weapon_R
11-04-2005, 05:53 PM
Price. Multi-piece is more expensive.

three.eighteen.
11-04-2005, 06:11 PM
whats the diff between 2 and 3 piece rims? and also isnt a bonus of the multipiece rim, the fact that if you bend the rim, you can have the rim replaced without having the center replaced?

the-law
11-04-2005, 06:37 PM
Thanks. Yah I was wondering if you damaged the rim on a two piece whether you can replace just the rim and reuse the center? I can understand why multi's are more expensive, but besides that are there any performance differences?

Teggy2nr
11-04-2005, 07:37 PM
I think multi peice rims are a lot stronger cuz they can be made out of billet aluminum so there isnt any airpockets inside them as opposed to casting. However there are different ways of casting like pressure casting where the molten material is put under pressure to help get the bubbles out but there is still no way to be shure they are all gone. But multi peice rims are eithe machined or forged out of a solid block of metal so theres no gaps

93hustler
11-10-2005, 08:38 PM
With multi piece wheels you can also change the center to a different bolt pattern if you get a different car.

98brg2d
11-10-2005, 09:17 PM
The rim on many multi-piece wheels is spun not cast so it is stronger (strain hardened) and more consistent (no casting flaws).

djayz
11-10-2005, 09:17 PM
also the ease of painting the rims while keeping the lip(outside) of the rim paintless

2 piece if you have the money for them...easy to change styles and colors and repair damaged parts without replacing the whole rim

FatboyTheHungry
11-10-2005, 09:47 PM
The whole point of a multi piece wheel is the ability to manufacture each piece individually. This affords re-assembly if any single piece gets damaged, and also allows for lighter forged pieces. There are 1 piece forged wheels, but they are not usually as light as 2 or 3 piece forged wheels.

DR.Gonzo
11-11-2005, 11:14 AM
heys guys sorry in advance for the dumb sounding post, but who is making a multipiece wheel for passenger cars? Are they just a bolt in center section or is it a lock-ring type setup? Again, sorry about my ignorance on the subject. But I didnt think that they would start to make a dangerous wheel again......

nismodrifter
11-11-2005, 12:31 PM
advantage of multipiece: you can take them apart and get some freaking big lips for them :bigpimp:

Mr_ET
11-11-2005, 02:29 PM
multi piece rims are heavier

tsi_neal
11-11-2005, 03:09 PM
Ive been wondering (mostly in the last week) with a 2 piece rim is it a reasonable idea to get some spacers made up and change the offset? Yes id use machined spacers that fit perfectly.

Ie change a 44mm offset to a 48-50mm offest and then run a 285 instead of a 265 :D

three.eighteen.
11-11-2005, 03:12 PM
how are spacers gonna move your wheels IN? 44->48 means wheel will move inside the fender

tsi_neal
11-11-2005, 03:32 PM
the center piece bolts to the outside of the bracket on the rim. Get an insert inbetween the two and the rim moves in.

I guess rereading what i posed makes it sound like i ment spacers at the hub, i meant spacers at the point where the wheels center bolts to the actual rim.

Redlyne_mr2
11-11-2005, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by FatboyTheHungry
The whole point of a multi piece wheel is the ability to manufacture each piece individually. This affords re-assembly if any single piece gets damaged, and also allows for lighter forged pieces. There are 1 piece forged wheels, but they are not usually as light as 2 or 3 piece forged wheels.
Not true....I am a big fan of one piece forged rims and they usually tend to be lighter. Magnesium Te37 or fail!

jaskirat
06-20-2006, 03:16 PM
correct me if i'm wrong. so if you compared an aluminum forged, spun 2 or 3 piece wheel with an aluminum forged 1-piece wheel, the former (multi-piece) will be:
1. heavier
2. weaker (from the inherent weakness of welding and bolting)
3. more expensive
4. more flexible (diff. fitments, looks, easy to repair, etc)
??