PDA

View Full Version : Old Internet Games

szw
11-05-2005, 05:02 AM
Well not THAT old...I never was into the BBS stuff that much.

But I remember spending a lot of time playing acrophobia and subspace. Anyone else remember those?

I also remember playing a lot of big2 on some kind of 'virtual city' thing where you had an avatar and you walk around to enter different games. This one was mostly chinese software I think. "golden" something.....anyone remember what this was?

I miss subspace...

/////AMG
11-05-2005, 06:06 AM
How about free gta 1 & 2??

http://www.rockstargames.com/classics/

Sorry for :hijack:

rockym20
11-06-2005, 10:46 AM
When the web was in its infancy (like around 1995), I used to beta test for an online gaming site (can't remember the name) & I played Descent all the time. Man, that a good game. Too bad most of the other players sucked, as lots of times they would just give up.

soupey
11-06-2005, 10:56 AM
hmm terminal reality, fury3, doom, jazz jackrabbit, leisure suit larry series, heretic, willy beamish, one must fall 2097(?)...

all i can remember with "Golden" in it is "Golden Axe"...is that what ur talkn about?

thats all i can think of right now.

Bill Cosby
11-06-2005, 11:08 AM
golden axe was killer in the arcade!!!!.. anyone remember that side scrolling sega game it was kinda like golden axe but you could pickup powerups that transform you into different animals and weild almighty powers :p.. just wondering if anyone remembers what its called, emulation time

Khyron
11-06-2005, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Bill Cosby
golden axe was killer in the arcade!!!!.. anyone remember that side scrolling sega game it was kinda like golden axe but you could pickup powerups that transform you into different animals and weild almighty powers :p.. just wondering if anyone remembers what its called, emulation time

Altered Beast most likely.

Khyron

Bill Cosby
11-06-2005, 11:31 AM
OMG yes thats it.. and its coming out or is out on ps2?.. wtffff..

hampstor
11-06-2005, 11:48 AM
i spent lots of money at the arcade on captain america :D

i used to play descent multiplayer, C&C (the original!) over KALI... oh and there's always VGAP

403Gemini
11-06-2005, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by hampstor
i spent lots of money at the arcade on captain america :D

i used to play descent multiplayer, C&C (the original!) over KALI... oh and there's always VGAP

haha yea dude the avengers side scroller, the spiderman one, x-men, i loved those side scrollers!!!!

jaysas_63
11-06-2005, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by /////AMG

plz don't applogize....I LOVE GTA2, thanks a lot bro!!...

unfortunatley my gpa is now going to see a HUGE drop:rofl:

tictactoe2004
11-06-2005, 12:16 PM
lol, I played descent... i was good at that game too. but if you want to know the king of old online games... it was Tribes. that was hands down the best online game i've ever played.. even to this date.

Davetronz
11-06-2005, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by /////AMG

Muhahaha I now have a reason to go to work again!

Ripper
11-06-2005, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by szw
Well not THAT old...I never was into the BBS stuff that much.

But I remember spending a lot of time playing acrophobia and subspace. Anyone else remember those?

I also remember playing a lot of big2 on some kind of 'virtual city' thing where you had an avatar and you walk around to enter different games. This one was mostly chinese software I think. "golden" something.....anyone remember what this was?

I miss subspace...

I love subspace. Its still going. Its actually called continuum now. However if you google subspace you can find it. I was playing last month again. Extreme Games woo woo.

hampstor
11-06-2005, 02:35 PM
I was a Q2 CTF whore... was in a ranked clan, played tournaments and all :D

urbannomad
11-06-2005, 02:38 PM
I dunno... the best oldskool game out there would have to be frogger, best bloody oldskool game 4 life! Its so insanely addictive.:eek:

Khyron
11-06-2005, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by hampstor
I was a Q2 CTF whore... was in a ranked clan, played tournaments and all :D

I had an old athlon running a live Q2 server up until about 6 months ago that some old work buddies and I played on. :P Still kicks ass, especially with all the wicked skins. I had a veritech obviously.

Khyron

szw
11-06-2005, 03:09 PM
haha I had kali too. It was awesome for warcraft 2 and Netmech also!

Blue-Wolf
11-06-2005, 03:21 PM
Call me old, but I still like the pac man games, galaga, space invaders, etc games. :) Used to like astroblast for intellivision, and the baseball too. :)

BerserkerCatSplat
11-06-2005, 03:24 PM
Altered Beast was the best oldschool game EVER! So good that I bought a copy about 6 months ago, dusted off the Genesis, and had at 'er!

"POWER UP!!!"

"WELCOME TO YOUR DOOM!!!"

redec
11-06-2005, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by szw

I miss subspace...

:werd: :werd:
fuck I was hardcore addicted to subspace for like 2 years :P....it was a wicked game

szw
11-06-2005, 03:33 PM
She's gone from suck to blow!
Subspace began as a massively multiplayer (before that term existed) combat game dubbed 'Sniper' in 1995 (later reincarnated as Infantry) but was quickly renamed and re-themed; it was made by Virgin Interactive Entertainment (VIE) and was one of the earliest action multiplayer online games, and possibly the first semi-successful one. The game was evolutionary for two reasons— the ingenious server code allowed 28.8 modem connections (most common at the time of release) to seem like instantaneous reactions and it had deceptively simple gameplay combined with a depth and subtlety rivaling profesional sports and chess.

For two years the game was in open beta and several zones were hosted by the VIE servers. The problems started when the game went retail. The servers were still free, but you had to buy the game CD to play on them. The game wasn't advertised well (very small marketing budget) and in spite of a severely addicted, albeit small, player community VIE pulled out in 1997 and a year later turned their servers off with little more than a shrug.

Never take away a junkies crackpipe.

How many Assholes do we have on this ship anyhow?
Shortly thereafter the Subspace CD was cracked and the server software (included with the CD due to the foresight of one of the main programmers) so user-made and hosted zones were springing up all the time, but without VIE there was no central control or client code updates and cheating was rampant. In 1998, a West European company based in Finland had purchased distribution rights just before VIE pulled the plug and their servers were initially used as a crutch while the American community regrouped. Slowly the community came together as strong servers were set up on the east and west coast of the US. The cheating was still choking the game to death, but a loyal legion of volunteers kept the torches lit while a handful of programmers began a new project in secret.

You have the ring. And I see your schwartz is as big as mine.
In 2001 these programmers unveiled a brand new client for Subspace that had been reverse-engineered from the ground up to replace Subspace. This new client was programmed (without any access to the original Subspace code) by Mr Ekted and PriitK (aka Priit Kasesalu, one of the creators of Kazaa). It was called Continuum and allowed the community to eliminate cheating and continue the development of the game.

Although now roughly nine years old, Subspace is as popular and addicting as it's ever been. The old VIE zones are still there, now known as SSS zones (Standard Subspace Settings), but there's now all kinds of different zones and settings to play. The recent updates to Continuum as well as extensive cyberbot scripting throughout individual zones has allowed the entire community to constantly develop and evolve the gameplay and graphics.

For a little taste of nostalgia for fans and a glimpse into history for new players feel free to browse an archive of the Official VIE website from 1997.

http://beginners.subspace.net/history.php

Oh shit....I never knew it was back! I remember it going on retail and then the servers dying and then I stopped playing. Then I remember some 3d subspace being advertised but it looked dumb.....

http://beginners.subspace.net/images/subhelp2.gif

Impreza
11-06-2005, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by szw

I remember this game! I wouldn't mind playing it again

treg50
11-06-2005, 06:32 PM
I used to visit some BBS's, but on a 2400 baud modem and dial-up it was a almost miraculous if I managed to download anything. I never was able to bringdown a full game, lol... so i just dl'd pron pics, ohhhhh yyeahhhh.

On topic, the best internet game was QUAKE. Sure there was Duke Nukem and Doom but neither was 'truly' 3D like Quake was. Combined with Quake's dark/gothic mood and sound effects from the weapons and atmosphere, it was the original best online game for me. Also, I found Quake to be extremely easy to get online with, esp. with GameSpy (the original client app., that started the GameSpy empire).

QUAKE was nuts, I could spend 3-4 hours in deathmatches before I realized the time :rofl:, after a year or two I discovered the Runes Mod, and holy#$%@ it was like a whole new game (Gravity Well + Death Spots + Ice Traps!!! lol) Quake forever!

DM4, a classic Quake DM map.
http://home1.gte.net/res0hd6f/quake00.jpg

An oldie but goldie. Choas=good times.
http://www.tomshardware.fr/images/jeux/20050826/Quake_1.jpg

mekeni
12-09-2006, 04:39 PM
Lemmings FTW !!!!

gerrycurl21
12-09-2006, 04:48 PM
oregon trail

MikeHL
12-09-2006, 05:26 PM
Infantry before it went P2P

van
12-09-2006, 07:20 PM
I don't know if you guys remember a game called Bolo. You have a little tank and you go around shooting each other haha. You can go onto a boat and drive on the water haha. It was an awesome game. You refuel at fueling bases and such or whatever, it was on the Macs. Anyway, they make that game available for the pc as well. Just sucks to play unless you have a bunch of people you know playing.

msommers
12-09-2006, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by gerrycurl21
oregon trail

OH MY GOD! This game was the shit!

I LOVED playing Infantry, I don't know if they still have it. It used to be free and kept your stats but now you have to be a guest everytime you log in or else pay = gay