PDA

View Full Version : Objections to car modifications

2000impreza
05-20-2002, 12:15 PM
kinda off topic but a question for you younger people. do your parents care if you mod your car? my parents always tell me i'm wasting my money and don't do it. i still have to explain to them why i have a engine in my sisters garage :banghead:

kenny
05-20-2002, 01:44 PM
Yep, when I lowered my car, my parents were like.... why are you changing the factory springs? They are designed for the car and are the best! ... while sorta true, they just don't realize that I was after the looks of a lowered car and not the handling.

They didn't like the idea of me changing the grill either, but they didn't really comment on that one except for the fact that I left the old grill lying on the living room floor :rofl:

max_boost
05-20-2002, 01:49 PM
Oh my, I've wasted like $25K worth of mods on my Prelude and I hear it everyday on how it is a waste of money LOL

Well the car is gone and that is one reason why I am being very picky about my next car so I don't go through the same thing again.

The hobby is getting too expensive for my tastes.

2000impreza
05-20-2002, 02:29 PM
kenny i think it was, thanks for starting a new topic :thumbsup:

i figured if i mod whats under the hood they won't know. haha. how i explain where i got the engine from is beyond me at this point :banghead:

GT Chick
05-20-2002, 03:19 PM
:rofl: hehe how are u gonna explain it? haha...anyways, i'll take pics of it for u. ;)

Fluidic
05-20-2002, 08:32 PM
My parents used to care: not anymore!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: :clap:

My parents both drive Mercedes... they have a fast and cool sounding car from the factory... I'm just making mine into a roadster! :) :)

Peter

Yellow_Fly_Red
05-20-2002, 09:57 PM
:)
yeah.....
I totally think its a WASTE of money to go crazy on MODS...
I personally rather sell the current car and use the money to buy a 'better' car than to MOD out a crappy car.
Like spending 10-15 grand of MODS on a CIVIC is crazy to me but I think spending a grand or two on nicer wheels is cool though.... or $500.00 on lowering springs... but thats about it...
just my opinion though....

rage2
05-21-2002, 12:18 AM
It really depends on what you're looking for. I mean, most people can't afford a car that's really quick out of the factory (the new Mustang Cobra fixes that problem though). Sometimes it's cheaper to take a cheap car *ahem 944 turbo* and mod it into a very good all around performer.

max_boost
05-21-2002, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Yellow_Fly_Red
:)
yeah.....
I totally think its a WASTE of money to go crazy on MODS...
I personally rather sell the current car and use the money to buy a 'better' car than to MOD out a crappy car.
Like spending 10-15 grand of MODS on a CIVIC is crazy to me but I think spending a grand or two on nicer wheels is cool though.... or $500.00 on lowering springs... but thats about it...
just my opinion though....

Sometimes it is best to work with what you have and for most people, they will never have all the money towards a nice car at the same time.

sexualbanana
05-21-2002, 12:26 AM
i've thought of getting abother car, but quite frankly, i like my car. it's got everything i want, except a faster engine, which is what i'm working on right now

kenny
05-21-2002, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by rage2
Sometimes it's cheaper to take a cheap car *ahem 944 turbo* and mod it into a very good all around performer.

So when are you going to do this? :woot:

rage2
05-21-2002, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by kenny
So when are you going to do this? :woot:

I don't need that much power. I observe the speed limits on the highways! =)

kenny
05-21-2002, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by rage2

I don't need that much power. I observe the speed limits on the highways! =)

Except in the 80 zones :devil:

Pete92SL
05-21-2002, 01:02 AM
My parents used to care too....They gave up..

::angel:

Pete

2000impreza
05-21-2002, 01:10 AM
last summer i wanted to trade my car in for something else. i seen a blue prelude at a honda dealership in edmonton that really got my attention. after test driving a friends prelude i wanted one so bad. thinking about it some more and going down to race city with a few friends to watch HOK run his turbo impreza i decided to keep my car and build it up. hehe. in the end i decided it wasn't worth it to get a different car.

Soren
05-21-2002, 02:30 AM
my mom encourages my modding... as long as its tasteful or for performance

she loves my car, and wants to come down to the track to watch me race hahaha. birthday presents will no consist of things for the car. nothing huge but its nice to have parents who support my hobby.

i think its cause they know i dont do anything overally stupid on the streets, and take it to the track.

shadowz
05-21-2002, 04:44 AM
Lets just say my parents didnt expect my car for driving to school and on weekends to turn into what it did,

max_boost
05-21-2002, 01:20 PM
Just remember, when you start modding a car, it is like joining the dark side of the force, there is no going back! haha

Superesc
05-21-2002, 03:04 PM
My parents think its good that I have a hobby, as long as I can pay for it and its not excessive. I guess its a matter of balance, being able to manage my priorities .. then its all good.

HRD2PLZ
05-21-2002, 11:04 PM
my parents used to think it was stupid. Now they think its cool. My dad got chrome 20's for his Escalade and a brushed aluminum dash kit for my moms A4. My hobby also seems to have converted my dad :D :clap:

James
05-24-2002, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by HRD2PLZ
my parents used to think it was stupid. Now they think its cool. My dad got chrome 20's for his Escalade and a brushed aluminum dash kit for my moms A4. My hobby also seems to have converted my dad :D :clap:

Thats cool, when you can get your parents driving nice cars, and doing mods to them!:thumbsup:

My Dad pisses me off, he could easily afford a really nice car, but insists on keeping his '94 Plymouth Acclaim:dunno: :thumbsdow, hopefully he goes through his mid-life crisis soon and buys a Porsche 911!:love:

2K255HP
05-24-2002, 03:24 PM
haha Mid-life crisis :D

My dad discourages modding my car
he says engineers are payed to make the car perform to its best w/o aftermarket support

I agree with the springs though, they are calibrated to work with the car for the best possible handling so i don't see myself doing ne thing to the springs ne time soon

but say I want to add a FSTB to the car and he goes its pointless
turns are suppose to be taken with ease
if you have no need for it you don't need it
blah blah blah

I dunno he hates the whole idea :rolleyes: :thumbsdow

rage2
05-24-2002, 03:30 PM
Stock springs are calibrated for a mix of comfort and handling (unless you're driving a Viper ACR or something).

GTS Jeff
05-24-2002, 03:36 PM
Yea, stock springs are made with the target consumer in mind, and for most cars, that isn't the typical road racer.

For example, they made the Maxima to be a powerful, yet comfortable ride for the family...not a car obsessed autoX fiend.