PDA

View Full Version : Petropoints and safeway card and gas prices

barbarian
11-06-2005, 03:18 AM
Have you noticed that gas stations with loyalty programs (i.e. Petro Canada) seem to just raise their prices by whatever the discount offered is in comparison to their neighbors? For example, Petro Canada, Northland, Calgary is running around 86.5 C/L, whereas Shell about 1/2 km away is running at 83 C/L. Petro Canada gives a 3.5 cent discount with the Petro Points card. So basically the price is the same either way, but one station is pretending to do you a favor.

I don't think there is really any advantage to "loyalty card" programs at all, except for the company who runs them and gets free marketing and demographics information from them.

ryder_23
11-06-2005, 03:22 AM
Its other things you get. petro, u also get petro points, shell has there air miles, safeway has there double discount. Its all about what you think is more important...

I have seen shell at the same price, as say petro, and you saved more with petro...

Rav4Guy
11-06-2005, 03:22 AM
actually.... if you shop around and know your gas stations... places like right now have gas prices at 85.4 + 5cents off. Lots of places are pretty tricky like you have said.. not every gas station gives you 3.5+cents off.

Skyline_Addict
11-06-2005, 04:01 AM
yeah, you're basically paying the same amount in the end with the petro points card, but you are awarded petro points to go towards something. it's not exactly cheaper gas, but it can save you some money on free stuff down the road.

Thaco
11-06-2005, 10:24 AM
i like esso, its 3.5 off for the average joe but its 5 cents off if you use your speedpass, which i use and i get like 2 aeroplan miles per dollar spent because i also have an aero visa.

lastprodigy
11-06-2005, 09:01 PM
Aeroplan points at Esso for me, works since we do alot of flying!

t-im
11-06-2005, 09:07 PM
I use to go to Esso.

When I fill up with 91, I used my Esso Extra card because it would give me "bonus double points" or something...and i'd use all that for car washes in the winter..

When i fill up with 89, i'd use Aeroplan..cause I don't get "bonus points" or whatever if I used my Esso Extra.

Can't beat the Speedpass thing either - so convienient!

But now I just go to Superstore - 7 Cents off at the one by me....rocks when you have like $40 worth of Superbucks!

Delta
11-06-2005, 09:16 PM
I used to go to Petro Can because I have a card, but I'
ve been getting 7c/L at Domo, which is twice of what Petro Can is, I just don't get points.

Goblin
11-06-2005, 09:24 PM
Being a petro canada guy, I must defend this, on two reasons.

1) Shell, Petro, and Esso have quality gasses. All other,
Joe Bobs Gas Bar" gas is of lower qaulity. Say 91 octane, but really, not so.

2) The petro points card give you points to free stuff, for example, 5900 points, is not hard to get. That is a car wash worth 12 dollars.

For 2100 points, you get a super grab lays and 1L of pop for free. Woohoo!

3) Yes, we might have our gas a bit higher, but the card doesnt give you anything bad, only good. Common people! No crap in the mail, etc.

Other than that.. :D

ryder_23
11-06-2005, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Goblin
Being a petro canada guy, I must defend this, on two reasons.

1) Shell, Petro, and Esso have quality gasses. All other,
Joe Bobs Gas Bar" gas is of lower qaulity. Say 91 octane, but really, not so.

well might be true with the weird stations u speak of, but i know for a fact, safeway has esso gas, and i believe in west calgary, so does superstore.

The south safeway gets Shell gas.

Goblin
11-06-2005, 09:37 PM
You might be correct about the safeway gasoline.

Oh, I guess it was three points to my arguement. hah

HRD2PLZ
11-07-2005, 09:25 AM
Its easy... next time watch for the gasonline transport company.

Shell uses Trimac and Esso uses Economy Carriers :)

And BTW... the gas is .789/L in the far south (and thats the sign price). I filled up with premium for 0.854/L on Sunday :D

Xtrema
11-07-2005, 10:59 AM
Superstore/Safeway has Esso/Shell/Petro gas without the gimmicky additives.

Superstore also only charge 7 cents more for 91 premium instead of the usual 10 cents.

So if you're a premium user you get actually 10 cents/L (7 + 3) going to Superstore. Another 1% off bonus if you use the PC Mastercard in the form of PC points.

But once a month/6 weeks I would go to Shell for their premium. Centre/Mckinight seems to be the chepest Shell station in the north.

sputnik
11-07-2005, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by HRD2PLZ
Shell uses Trimac

Spotted Trimac at Safeway on 130th Ave SE last week.

:thumbsup:

I prefer the Safeway 7c off gas (with $35 grocery purchase) as I usually have grocery purchases for around $40-50 and the coupons accumulate (to a max of 8) on my Safeway card, so I dont have to worry about remembering or finding a coupon. Also, premium at Safeway is only 7c more per litre instead of 10c more like most stations around town.

ricefarmer
11-07-2005, 11:28 AM
i'm pretty happy with petro, the station in my neighbourhood is usually 3-5 cents cheaper than the shell up the street and i get 3.5 off. filled up last night at 80.5 by my house, compared to 86.4 at a petro farther north by work, all depends on what area of the city :dunno:

TurboMedic
11-07-2005, 12:36 PM
I wish huskey did certain things or air miles......I have to fill up with 94 and I get nothing extra for it!

sputnik
11-07-2005, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by TurboMedic
I wish huskey did certain things or air miles......I have to fill up with 94 and I get nothing extra for it!

If you have AMA/CAA you can use your card their and they will pay a portion of your yearly dues.

Mightaswell
11-07-2005, 01:28 PM
how far south? I live in mckenzie towne and havn't seen it that low yet.

sputnik
11-07-2005, 01:33 PM
This morning the Safeway on 130th had regular on the sign at 84.4 which is 80.9 with the standard 3.5 off (77.4 with a 7c discount).

DC2
11-07-2005, 06:26 PM
well petro mastercard saves you 5.5 cents.
i've noticed that its the cheapest in airdrie and erinwoods usually 2 cents cheaper than the usual petro's in calgary..

bonus thing: if you save enough petro points you get free stuff. including gas!:D

ryder_23
11-07-2005, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Superstore also only charge 7 cents more for 91 premium instead of the usual 10 cents.

So if you're a premium user you get actually 10 cents/L (7 + 3) going to Superstore. Another 1% off bonus if you use the PC Mastercard in the form of PC point

same with safeway...

t-im
11-07-2005, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Are those 'gimmicky additives' proven to do anything..or are they just marketing gimmicks?