PDA

View Full Version : JDM vehicles

Ryan1386
11-06-2005, 09:44 PM
I was reading a forum about JDM car importation rules (the one about raising the limit to 25 years) about a week ago and most of those who responded seemed to have some issues regarding JDM vehicles. These issues ranged from some thinking that they are just a scam and others complaining about how cars like skylines and supras would no longer be unique. As a university student I do not have the disposable income to spend large amounts of cash on a car and as a car enthusiast I would like a car that doesnt suck ass. I think importing a car is a good way to solve my problem, for example a nissan pulsar GTi-R AWD, with an sr20det with 80k or less only runs about 6 to 8g. I do understand modifying the car would be difficult but as JDM gets more accepted I can see this problem being alleviated. I would just like to know why so many people have a problem with JDM vehicles or the other side why importaing a JDM vehicle is a good idea.

Thank you

Skyline_Addict
11-06-2005, 09:55 PM
getting a JDM vehicle is always something that depends on personal taste, as well as a understanding of the consequences of getting one. i haven't heard much about the possible 25 year change, but personally would not even get a JDM car at the current cut off year. many of these cars do come with "low" km on them. many of these cars have been salvaged in some way, and all of the jdm cars i've seen personally are in rough shape body wise. the engines and mechanics seem pretty peppy though. getting a JDM car will always be unique to here as a reason people get JDM cars is because we don't have them here. an sr20det should be very easy to modify. the rest of the car itself, such as suspension, body, etc will be a little more difficult.
just remember that a 15 year old car is still a 15 year old car, no matter how low the km. keep in mind also the condition and history of the car that you are looking at. if everything suits your needs, then I say go for it.

A790
11-06-2005, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Ryan1386
I was reading a forum about JDM car importation rules (the one about raising the limit to 25 years) about a week ago and most of those who responded seemed to have some issues regarding JDM vehicles. These issues ranged from some thinking that they are just a scam and others complaining about how cars like skylines and supras would no longer be unique. As a university student I do not have the disposable income to spend large amounts of cash on a car and as a car enthusiast I would like a car that doesnt suck ass. I think importing a car is a good way to solve my problem, for example a nissan pulsar GTi-R AWD, with an sr20det with 80k or less only runs about 6 to 8g. I do understand modifying the car would be difficult but as JDM gets more accepted I can see this problem being alleviated. I would just like to know why so many people have a problem with JDM vehicles or the other side why importaing a JDM vehicle is a good idea.

Thank you

JDM vehicles are still used cars. They arn't perfect, and never really will be. They fit the "money pit" analogy pretty easily.

That said, I WILL buy another JDM car. The Silvia has been off the most fun, entertaining, and unique cars I've had. I am soon to be seeking a Supra and a MR2.

Most bodies are in average shape, and those that are better/worse have the price to go with it. The engines generally are good, and that's the whole allure as far as I see it.

Good luck!

Mosquito_R
11-07-2005, 11:22 AM
What about the more "utilitarian" JDM cars like Land Cruisers or Corolla 4wd wagons? I'm particularly interested in the Corolla, and have seen some online around the $5K-6K range. You think they're worth it?

JCX
11-07-2005, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Ryan1386
I would just like to know why so many people have a problem with JDM vehicles.

Thank you

The main reason I'm not terribly fond of them is that IMO they go from junkyard scrap to overpriced used cars by simply putting them on a boat. The vast majority of JDM cars I've seen around Calgary are like any other 15 year old jalopy. Dinged up, beat up and in crappy shape. Not to mention the disproportionately high percentage of JDM cars I've seen driving like irresponsible maniacs thinking they are special.

Basically I'm of the opinion that sending JDM cars to Canada does little more than save Japan junkyard space.

The utilitarian vehicles are quasi tolerable, I know a guy with a Hilux that is in fantastic shape.

AllGoNoShow
11-07-2005, 12:26 PM
I'm with JCX on some part. Alot of the JDM cars we see are dinged up. but I have seen quite a few VERY nice JDM 300's and others running around.

It all depends who you go through in my opinion. Importconcern just tends to bring cars in, they don't look over them alot from what I have seen and try to bring in the best only, they just bring in whatever the customer wants at whatever price range they have.

I was going to go through J-Spec imports for my 735iL I originally wanted. Yes the thing had been in an accident. But tell me this, how many small fender-benders have had the whole trunk paneling replaced, new quarter panel, new light frames andp aneling, new lights, new bumpers. None of it was patch welded or bent back it was all fuly replaced with new parts. The car was a wholesale thing, a dealer only thing therefor no inpsection could be performed, so what does my importer do? Sends 2 guys out to go check out the car sittong on the lot, check everything over they possibly can. Thats what I call service. I knew exactly what the car was if it didn't sell. I could get pictures and info on anything I needed. Now image a private sale car goign through that dealer, talk about full service to go along with the cars.

It all depends on who you go through for quality of cars it seems.

Matt @ Skye Service, inspects the car, details the car, everything before they are shipped over here, sure they take a little longer to get here but man, you could drive those htings across the country without a problem.

duffspec
11-07-2005, 12:51 PM
^^^ if that's your car in your "sig" that thing is pimp...........Sell it to me! :D

AllGoNoShow
11-07-2005, 12:53 PM
lol its not lowered with rims or tint yet, the tint should be done within the month and lowering springs for christmas hopefully with new suspension, then rims later in the winter so I can polish them up and get all excited for spring :D

The car is always for sale for the right price, and if the price is right and you want the mods done I will do them for you aswell ;)

Nissanaddict
11-07-2005, 12:57 PM
It's a nice car. I wanna see that thing in daylight.

AllGoNoShow
11-07-2005, 12:59 PM
You guys get me to excited for spring, I'm goign to order lowering springs and tint this week now :D

duffspec
11-07-2005, 01:14 PM
AHAHAHH i love hijacking threads. I just can't find a good luxo ride like that around anymore. You got wicked taste my friend I hope it turns out how you like because the days of pork fried rice at every corner is getting to me :D

YOUZ = BOLLA :thumbsup:

Phuqu
11-07-2005, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by JCX

The utilitarian vehicles are quasi tolerable, I know a guy with a Hilux that is in fantastic shape.

Too bad he's still a tool.

typhoonslippery
11-07-2005, 06:09 PM
You get what you pay for from JDM vehicles, its too bad you saw some of the peoples cars who were cheap and bought rough condition cars or unseen cars from auctions to save a couple bucks as not everyone is made of money and can afford the car of their dreams in pristine condition, but rather a decent condition car with a couple goodies to stay in a younger kids price range.

I have seen a ton of mint condition cars come from japan as well as alot of crappy examples that should have been left over there, that doesnt mean that they should all be painted with the same brush as I bet most of the people driving either of those think they are just great and in the end its up to the person who owns it and haters will always have something to say about it from the safety of the internet

James
11-07-2005, 11:12 PM
Where are all these crappy conditon JDM cars?....most of the ones i've seen are in pretty good shape, heres 2 examples ;).....http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96600&highlight=fairlady