PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Securities Institute (CSI)

SI-vic
11-07-2005, 06:53 PM
csi.ca

ive heard of a lot of people taking this and saying its pretty good. the only problem is that most of these people are older and rich and doing this for the extra knowledge.

my question is:
can you go through this for a career change?
what are my chances of taking a couple of these courses and landing a job with the csi

R-Audi
11-07-2005, 06:56 PM
You are more likely to get a job with a brokerage or in a finance related job with the course(s) rather then CSI itself.
I am currently taking the CSC course, and a number of my friends have taken it while attending University.
Like anything, it does as much for you as you make it.

SI-vic
11-07-2005, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
You are more likely to get a job with a brokerage or in a finance related job with the course(s) rather then CSI itself.
I am currently taking the CSC course, and a number of my friends have taken it while attending University.
Like anything, it does as much for you as you make it.

ok thanks
yeah im looking for a career change in the finance world but i dont have any education at any post seconday schools in business
i have some classes in mtroyal for business but nothing spectacular
will this be a big problem that i dont really have a post secondary degree/diploma before taking the csi or csc?

if it becomes a huge problem then i would reconsider everything but if it isnt a threat then i would definitely look into doing this.

Godfuader
11-07-2005, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by SI-vic

ok thanks
yeah im looking for a career change in the finance world but i dont have any education at any post seconday schools in business
i have some classes in mtroyal for business but nothing spectacular
will this be a big problem that i dont really have a post secondary degree/diploma before taking the csi or csc?

if it becomes a huge problem then i would reconsider everything but if it isnt a threat then i would definitely look into doing this.

Your work is cut out if u already attend mtroyal. Im in the last academic year of the BA Finance program at MRC. I am doing the CSC courses right now. The MRC program is geared to getttin your finance degree + a "CSC" designation + "CFP" (Certified Financial Planner) designation. With the MRC degree you get all the designations as well as two 4-month paid work terms. Most of the junior business courses are applicable credit towards a degree. Go talk to the advisor, Mahesh Kumar. He is extremely friendly and very supportive. Let me know if you need to know anything else. :thumbsup:

SI-vic
11-07-2005, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Godfuader

Your work is cut out if u already attend mtroyal. Im in the last academic year of the BA Finance program at MRC. I am doing the CSC courses right now. The MRC program is geared to getttin your finance degree + a "CSC" designation + "CFP" (Certified Financial Planner) designation. With the MRC degree you get all the designations as well as two 4-month paid work terms. Most of the junior business courses are applicable credit towards a degree. Go talk to the advisor, Mahesh Kumar. He is extremely friendly and very supportive. Let me know if you need to know anything else. :thumbsup:

hey man thanks for the info
yeah i was thinking about going down to mtroyal to talk to an advisor but thought id try to see if anyone knew anything on here first

yeah i would go back to mtroyal but i dont know if i can handle another 4 years of school.
id like to do a course in 2 years or less to get into the business world but if must be then i will do the 4 at mtroyal.
i guess im just looking for a quick change and was hoping the csc or csi would be a solution.

im just unsure if "only" the csc or csi would be sufficient to make it "anywhere".

so my concern would be, is it VERY neccessary to go to post-secondary such as mt.royal or can i just do these courses and find a job through that way.

I understand that mt.royal has a fine program but if I could, i rather do it in 2 or less at csi.ca

i hope im making some sense here. haha sorry if i dont

SI-vic
11-07-2005, 07:38 PM
to be more specific on things
i was looking at the
stock trader or risk manager careers

https://www.csi.ca/student/en_ca/career/allcareers.xhtml

Godfuader
11-07-2005, 07:39 PM
Dont think of it like 4 yrs...cuz its not....its actually 3yrs of class time (30 courses) and 1 year paid work term. So if you are ready for 2 years...I think you can spare 1 year more and get a degree and work experience that the college finds for you.
You can do the CSI courses online by yourself. Its great, the material is clear, alot alot alot of reading, but they have great support for students. This independant route is mainly for people already in the industry (bankers, financial planners, etc.) With the degree you are more attractive to the industry because you have relevent knowledge in accounting, business, etc. your designations themselves are highly respected, and they look cool too. ex: "Jimmy Johnson B.App (F.S.) CSC. CFP. "

SI-vic
11-07-2005, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Godfuader
Dont think of it like 4 yrs...cuz its not....its actually 3yrs of class time (30 courses) and 1 year paid work term. So if you are ready for 2 years...I think you can spare 1 year more and get a degree and work experience that the college finds for you.
You can do the CSI courses online by yourself. Its great, the material is clear, alot alot alot of reading, but they have great support for students. This independant route is mainly for people already in the industry (bankers, financial planners, etc.) With the degree you are more attractive to the industry because you have relevent knowledge in accounting, business, etc. your designations themselves are highly respected, and they look cool too. ex: "Jimmy Johnson B.App (F.S.) CSC. CFP. "

the perfect answer
thanks for everything man
exactly everything i needed to know
guess i'll have to go to mtroyal tomorrow

Godfuader
11-07-2005, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by SI-vic

the perfect answer
thanks for everything man
exactly everything i needed to know
guess i'll have to go to mtroyal tomorrow

no prob man!:thumbsup: Make sure u call the school of business to make an appointment with Mahesh Kumar (financial services advisor) as he is quite busy. good luck

B17a
11-08-2005, 05:02 PM
BTW, CSC isn't a designation. It's just a course.

Godfuader
11-08-2005, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by B17a
BTW, CSC isn't a designation. It's just a course.

Can you not tag that onto your business card, cuz CSC is something alot of companies highly regard. Its more of an accreditation?

saiyajin
11-08-2005, 09:51 PM
CSC goes by Canadian Securities Certificate so it sort of is a designation :dunno:

Celica TVS3
11-08-2005, 10:04 PM
^ CSC stands for canadian securities course. You could tack it onto your business card if you liked but on it's own it isn't very impressive. But it is enough to show hiring compnanies that your serious about getting a job in that field.

The biggest challange you'll face trying to find a job in finance is breaking into the industry. Its not as tough you can get your CSC and walk into a brokerage firm and be hired as an investment advisor - well not at any company you would want to work at. I know some of the full service brokerage firms only hire IA over 30 that have five years of post secondary business experience. I'm not saying its impossible but you'll have to find another way into these companies.

How old are you? What kind of career do you want to be doing?

Godfuader
11-08-2005, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Celica TVS3
^ CSC stands for canadian securities course. You could tack it onto your business card if you liked but on it's own it isn't very impressive.

The biggest challange you'll face trying to find a job in finance is breaking into the industry. Its not as tough you can get your CSC and walk into a brokerage firm and be hired as an investment advisor - well not at any company you would want to work at. I know some of the full service brokerage firms only hire IA over 30 that have five years of post secondary business experience. I'm not saying its impossible but you'll have to find another way into these companies.

How old are you? What kind of career do you want to be doing?

:hijack: Sorry for hijacking SI-vic's thread, but...

Im doing the Bachelors of Applied Financial Services at MRC. They put you on the path to get your bachelors + CSC + CFP (CFP designation occurs after 2 yrs of industry experience) along with that they offer 2 x 4mths paid work experience in the finance field, like an FSR (not a teller). After all that, what should be my expectations?

Celica TVS3
11-09-2005, 12:31 AM
^ I PMd You!

B17a
11-09-2005, 03:47 PM
You'll get laughed at by any self respecting professional if you tack on CSC on your card or title. It's just a course so it doesn't qualify as a designation. Its good to have, I did mine, but it is by no means on the level of a real designation like a CFP or CA.

Godfuader
11-09-2005, 11:52 PM
CFP: Certified Financial Planner? or Chartered Financial Planner? Cuz im doing the Certified Fin..... right now as well, and according to their website, that is an actual designation. Its killer though.

B17a
11-10-2005, 09:38 AM
Any thing that is "Certified" or "Chartered" is usually a legit designation.

Weapon_R
11-10-2005, 11:50 AM
The securities course is not a designation. It is a good course to take if you are going to pursue a career in finance, but it is most definately not something you should put as a title.

CA, CFP, CMA, CGA, etc are all legitimate titles, but not CSC :rofl: