PDA

View Full Version : Taxes charged by dealer on second hand car

TipoBoy
11-08-2005, 04:48 AM
I went to a dealer the other day to buy a second hand 4x4 for the winter and they quoted $600 in additional extras for various government taxes ranging from A/C to tyre disposal. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to whether these are correct? Why should I be paying the tyre disposal price, surely the person who purchased the tyres pays that not who they sell them on to. Does anyone know where I can find out whether all of these taxes are valid as it seems a lot to pay on a second hand vehicle.

Just trying to make sure they're not trying to do one over on me as I'm new to these sorts of charges.

Cheers

John

GT4rally
11-08-2005, 05:50 AM
That sounds really shady to me. I've bought two used cars from different dealers, and they both tried to charged me $100 for administrative fees and GST. I told them both that my offer stands firm with no taxes or fees... they both took it. You might have trouble with the GST, but I wouldn't buy it if they are trying to add in a bunch of made-up fees/taxes.

What dealer is it, so I know to stay away?

benyl
11-08-2005, 07:54 AM
You must pay GST. Anything else should have been paid by the original owner of the vehicle.

eclipse00
11-08-2005, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by benyl
You must pay GST. Anything else should have been paid by the original owner of the vehicle.

You're right, they can only charge the GST on a used car. A/C tax is paid when the car is bought new, and tire tax is paid when ever tires go on the car.

sputnik
11-08-2005, 09:48 AM
The only other time that you may have to pay AC tax is if the car is currently outside of Canada and has to clear customs.

Was the car originally from the US? Perhaps the dealer is trying to recoup the costs of importing the vehicle.

Still seems really shady to me.

TipoBoy
11-08-2005, 10:52 AM
Thanks for your replies,

As far as I'm aware the Jeep is Canadian. I'll speak to them again in a week when I arrive back in Canada to find out what the deal is. It all seems very dodgy and an attempt to grab back some of the discount I got them to knock off the price of the vehicle.

They were claiming that the charges were all going to the government and not into their pockets.

I really need pointer to a government, or such like, web site that shows the charges to can go back to them and say, look these charges are not valid and should be removed from the quote. The only information I can find is sites complaining about "Tax us we're Canadian!" which reports a $100 tax on new cars with A/C when new but that's all (well aprt from tax on fuel etc).

Cheers

John

benyl
11-08-2005, 10:57 AM
go to a reputable dealer and ask.

bikrbabe
11-08-2005, 11:00 AM
lol, sounds kinda fishy but kinda not. I work at a dealership myself, and some of these fees are valid John... the documentation fees go towards things such as lien checks, etc. While the dealer also has to charge G.S.T. as the purchase is going through a valid business. None of the tire levy's or A/C charges should be valid as far as I know... Those charges need to only be laid once, and the original purchaser covers those.

-BB

TipoBoy
11-08-2005, 11:26 AM
Hi,

I just spoke to another car dealer in Calgary and they said none of the charges they were trying to charge me were valid on a second hand vehicle. Yes I have to pay GST but no taxes for tyre disposal or A/C. They are trying to pull the wool over my eyes and suggested that if they don't give me a refund then report them to AMVIC. They were surprised that they would jepodise a sale over a few hundred dollars. I won't be happy if they just reduce the price by the amount of taxes I said I'd pay, I'll very happily take my business elsewhere.

John

69cougar
11-08-2005, 11:28 AM
If new tires went on the vehicle they may be trying to recoup the price that way but if they are that cheap what else are they doing?

TipoBoy
11-08-2005, 11:39 AM
They are not new tyres they are about 50% warn.

They are charging 299 for tire/air/etch, the etch part of security etching of the glass which although it was on the vehicle when I saw it they want to charge me extra for it, the air conditioning and tyre disposal they are still claiming are taxes charged by the government which they can't avoid charging. The 299 for road haz / doc is some insurance policy they failed to tell me about where it insures the alloys against getting curbed (which they say can be removed). The doc part is various documentation charges for the deal, hell shouldn't that be included in the price!

I'm not very happy to say the least so will speak to them on Monday when I get back in Canada, and back out of the deal, yes it's only "$600" but I don't like being treated like this.

John

benyl
11-08-2005, 12:00 PM
two words:

WALK AWAY.

sputnik
11-08-2005, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by benyl
two words:

WALK AWAY.

:werd:

If the business practices are shady... its a pretty good possibility that the Jeep has a shady past as well.

5hift
11-08-2005, 12:08 PM
What Dealership is this car from?

MarX
11-08-2005, 02:17 PM
Hey are you Xride on JF?

Weapon_R
11-08-2005, 03:56 PM
Leave. Do not settle for anything less than perfect honesty. What advantage do you see in buying this vehicle from this dealership? Sounds like you would have a better transaction buying private.

GT4rally
11-08-2005, 08:52 PM
DO NOT BUY FROM THEM!!! If they have tried to be that doddgy, who knows what they have done to the Jeep in order to sell it.

Jeeps are not hard to come by elsewhere for cheap...

Go here for some good info: http://www.apa.ca/

Goblin
11-09-2005, 12:34 AM
Yeah buddy, 600 dollars later, you will be happy that you didnt not buy from them.

69cougar
11-09-2005, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by 5hift
What Dealership is this car from?

x2