PDA

View Full Version : Help me please - Working out

tictactoe2004
11-09-2005, 12:49 AM
Ok, so i know that there's been lots of posts about helping people with getting into a good routine and tips for working out and stuff, but... aside from asking a couple of questions I figured since this is the only forum im on, that i'd post here and report my progress... and also im hoping that some of you can harrass me and help me along the way.... so here's some background info..

I'm 27 years old, 6 feet tall, 190 pounds and in pretty shitty shape. Im recently single and havent really been cooking at home lately... so i've been eating pretty shitty too. I tried joining gyms before but I work a lot and just didnt like having to "go to" the gym...

So anyways, I recently bought a pretty nice home gym and just bought my treadmill today and am planning on 100 days of going hard starting around the 20th of this month, im not looking at bulking up huge or anything... just weight loss and some toning and gaining a little more mass, which i dont think should be too hard since im not too fat lol, just a little over weight.

For the eating end of things I know I should try to eat small portions every couple of hours, and chicken and rice are good for me :) but I really don't like seafood and need to know some other good snacks and foods I should be eating. I just bought a smoothy maker as well, is a good fruit smoothy good enough for a "breakfast"?

With weight loss as my main goal should I be taking any sort of supplaments?

Right now i'm planning on working up to 60-75 minutes of cardio keeping my heart beat around 150-160 every day, plus using the gym 2-4 times a week. I'd like to see if I can lose ~25 pounds in that 100 day period, if i don't lose that much because of muscle gain that would be fine, but i just want to be somewhat toned, lol. If I follow a strick diet and stick to making that goal a reality, is 100 days a reasonable time frame to lose that much weight? Once the 100 days is over I still plan on working out and eating healthy, just not having to worry as much about eating 2 or 3 shitty meals a week since my weight loss should be done and my goal then will be to just maintain.

So what do you guys think?

ecstasy_civic
11-09-2005, 01:56 AM
its totally possible.

my dad is 49 5'9 was a soft 195, jan. 1st 05' he decided he was going to lose weight.

by june 1st he was 170lbs
now hes toned 161.

he works out 3 times a week and has cut down on shit food, very few carbs and just basically pays attention now.

if a 49 yr old man can do it, you can too man:thumbsup: goodluck

Tyler883
11-09-2005, 09:45 AM
losing 25 pounds from 190lbs, 6' tall....

doubt that is neccessary, and I question if it is healthy.

I'm sure that 190 doesn't put you into any health risk group,

why don't you focus on increasing your energy, and health? and if you become an energetic and healthy person, it won't really matter what weight you are, right?

congratulations for taking action, I wish you success

tictactoe2004
11-09-2005, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Tyler883
losing 25 pounds from 190lbs, 6' tall....

doubt that is neccessary, and I question if it is healthy.

I'm sure that 190 doesn't put you into any health risk group,

why don't you focus on increasing your energy, and health? and if you become an energetic and healthy person, it won't really matter what weight you are, right?

congratulations for taking action, I wish you success

Lol, if you saw the size of my ab (yes, ab as in uni-ab) you'd probably see why I wanted to lose that much weight. I don't really care what weight I am, as long as I have my abs back lol. I'm not a "bulky" build, so i'm sure i'll end up gaining some weight along the way, and as long as its muscle like I said, i'm ok with that. My BMI index shows me as over weight, I need to lose at least 10 lbs to get back to normal. so I think 25 is ok

eur0
11-09-2005, 12:22 PM
I am 6'3 and 208lbs, although I have no idea what is the ideal weight for my size I like to beleive I am in good shape.

Dropping down to 165lbs and being 6' does not seem healthy. When I was in my growth spirt I was 175 lbs at 6' and was considered skinny by a lot of my friends. I did not have much muscle except for my abdominals so 175 might be the more ideal weight for you. You would be suprised how much even 5lbs can make you look and feel.

I would personally recommend 175 in 100 days and then if you are not satisfied set a new goal.

w3apon
11-09-2005, 12:29 PM
IMO don't go crazy hard your first couple of weeks back into training as you will very likely hurt yourself or just give up.

For the treadmill start off walking for 9 minutes, then run for 1 minute. do that for 45 minutes Mon, Wed, Thurs,
Then 8 minute jog, 2 minute run.
Then 7 minute jog, 3 minute run.
Continue until you are down to being able to run for 45 minutes straight.
If you do this you will not injure yourself and you will have a very good cardio base to continue.

Also, keeping your heart rate at 150-160 is not good for cardio.
You should be running at 60-70% of your max hear rate whcih is likely around 190.
Your heart rate should be no more than 120-130 for cardio training. It may seem like you are not working very hard at this rate, but it does work and you will not get injured.
Just my 2 cents.

Tyler883
11-09-2005, 09:25 PM
How much did you weigh when you were 19? Chances are the weight that you were when you were 19 is not a realistic weight for you....over the last 10 years your bones have gotten denser, and your muscles have matured.

I weighed 165 at 5'10 when I was 18, and at the time I felt like I had a spare tire. Oh boy was I wrong. Today I am 36 and would love to weigh 200-230 ( I'm alot heavier if you hadn't guessed - LOL)