PDA

View Full Version : Accident/Insurance Questions

max_boost
02-19-2003, 07:31 PM
Ok RSeXy has a 01 cavalier registered/insured under her name with her brother (Jeff) as a part time driver

Jeff recently crashed, and wrote it off. Because the vehicle is under RSeXy's name, she will be making a claim. Her insurance is going to be increasing sharply as a result. And Jeff is not affected apparently.

My question is, did RSeXy just get screwed over by her own brother? I'm just confused as how Jeff seem to get let off the hook.....:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

G
02-19-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Ok RSeXy has a 01 cavalier registered/insured under her name with her brother (Jeff) as a part time driver

Jeff recently crashed, and wrote it off. Because the vehicle is under RSeXy's name, she will be making a claim. Her insurance is going to be increasing sharply as a result. And Jeff is not affected apparently.

My question is, did RSeXy just get screwed over by her own brother? I'm just confused as how Jeff seem to get let off the hook.....:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Don't take my word for it but I think that insurance companies don't cover someone under 25 that you lend your car to. It is to much risk for the insurance company. My agent tells me never to lend my car to anyone under 25 because they won't cover them family or not.

RSeXy
02-19-2003, 07:54 PM
My dad also said that him, my mom and i are all under his insurance? something about umbrella insurance?? so all of our premiums will increase.

HRD2PLZ
02-19-2003, 10:31 PM
The 3 vehicles are probably all under the same policy. I believe all the premiums will go up, but the accident should go on Jeff's record, since the accident was essentially his fault. Assuming he insured to be a part-time driver though.

It would be hard to guess what type of increase to expect because I think they are all on the same policy. With mine, I am with the same company as my parents, but both my sister and I are on our own insurance policies with "blanket coverage." Which basically means if I get into an accident with my moms car, its covered under my policy instead of hers.

You are going to be making the claim for the Cavalier regardless, so it might just be best to get some sort of rough idea from the insurance company what kind of increases might be expected.

Light_Speed
02-20-2003, 01:21 AM
This happend to me but it was with my moms car
her insurance went from 800 to 3200 a year and nothing happend to me

RSeXy
02-20-2003, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by Light_Speed
This happend to me but it was with my moms car
her insurance went from 800 to 3200 a year and nothing happend to me

oooh shiet...:(

G
02-20-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by RSeXy
My dad also said that him, my mom and i are all under his insurance? something about umbrella insurance?? so all of our premiums will increase.

I thought that you can only insure a car if it is under your name? If the car under RSexy's name then it should not affect anyone but her???

ecstasyracer
02-20-2003, 02:25 PM
I was in an accident in my moms suv 2 years ago and my insurance doubled, hers wasn't affected. Which really sucks becuse I only would have owed her $400 to pay for her increase. The insurance company will try and get the most money out of you that they can.

Weapon_R
02-20-2003, 02:29 PM
If Rsexy's brother is on the policy, why isn't the claim under his name? He is still insured, no reason why her's should go up. I don't get it.

max_boost
02-20-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
If Rsexy's brother is on the policy, why isn't the claim under his name? He is still insured, no reason why her's should go up. I don't get it.

Yah I am confused as hell, unless her parents aren't telling us everything lol

They said because the vehicle is registered under her name, she will take the hit

But the entire family is under the same policy because they live in the same house

So the entire family's insurance should go up, but it should only affect her brother, and they would cut him from the policy, that would in theory prevent insurance from going up....I am confused

2000impreza
02-20-2003, 02:52 PM
maybe give the insurance company a call and ask since no one really knows for sure.... i'm just taking a guess but i would think both Rsexy and her brother is going to take a pretty big hit with insurance.

boi-alien
02-20-2003, 06:08 PM
from my understanding

RSeXy's brother is insured on the vehicle. HE should be making the claim, it will go on his record. BUT, since it's a family plan everyone that's covered under that policy will take a hit on their rates. and no cutting him from the policy wont lower their rates because the claim was made on their policy, and he was under their policy when the accident occured.