PDA

View Full Version : anyone in japan?

abc1
11-09-2005, 12:17 PM
Im staying in Japan right now or you can say livining here. just wondering who else is here so they can help a fellow beyonder out example, show me around, give me adice on where to look for a job, stuff like that.

gaijin
11-09-2005, 12:22 PM
When you say "Japan", that could mean a lot of things. Where exactly in Japan are you?

Job advice: depending on where you are, there should be free newspapers/billboards about jobs. If there's a foreigner-friendly hostel around, they usually have tips for finding work as well.

Kirbs17
11-09-2005, 02:17 PM
*sigh* i wish i was back in japan versus writing midterms

abc1
11-10-2005, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by gaijin
When you say "Japan", that could mean a lot of things. Where exactly in Japan are you?

Job advice: depending on where you are, there should be free newspapers/billboards about jobs. If there's a foreigner-friendly hostel around, they usually have tips for finding work as well.

sorry for not being specfic on where I am living. I wrote the e-mail on the day I arrived there. I had a 14 hour plane ride, and pratically stayed up all day. I wrote it 3 in the moring too :p But I`m currently located in tokyo. So far I am looking for a place to stay and then a job. I guess I just want someone to hang around with or help me meet people here. It`s hard to meet people here when you are asian and they think you are japanese.

gaijin
11-10-2005, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by abc1
sorry for not being specfic on where I am living. I wrote the e-mail on the day I arrived there. I had a 14 hour plane ride, and pratically stayed up all day. I wrote it 3 in the moring too :p But I`m currently located in tokyo. So far I am looking for a place to stay and then a job. I guess I just want someone to hang around with or help me meet people here. It`s hard to meet people here when you are asian and they think you are japanese.
Can't help you with hanging out, I'm already back from Japan. Place to stay, I know there's a decent hostel/backpacker's inn around Asakusa. I'll have to check for the name when I get home. At least, I assume it's decent, it's associated with the one I stayed at in Sapporo, which was very nice ( http://www.inos-place.com/ ). I stayed with family in Tokyo, so I don't actually know of any places to stay there...

Your best bet for quick work is probably English conversation/tutorials on a 1 on 1 basis. You can make a decent hourly wage doing that, I've heard. I've also heard you'll get a lot of lonely housewives... that could be good or bad, I suppose. Haha. I'm assuming you don't know Japanese well enough to get a job involving the use of it (either spoken or written), but if that's an option, I think it might be better. It would definitely be better for your Japanese language skills, at least.

As for finding that work, you should be able to find the right contacts/info at a good hostel... oh, or look for NOVA, they're all over the place in Tokyo. Find one of their offices and even if they don't have work (I have no idea what their policies are regarding people in off the street), try to meet some of the teachers and you might get some good info on side/under-the-table work...

abc1
11-10-2005, 11:20 PM
that place you posted seems to be for short stays. i am planning on being here for about 3 months. maybe 6 if i can push it, but most realistic is 3 months. i have heard of NOVA and might look into it. I just need a place to live first. After that I can look for a job. Also they dont like people guys with long hair do they? Can you tell me where any cool car tuner shop are located or where autobacs is?

Will@STRD
11-27-2005, 01:36 AM
go buy a Option Mag there they all list their address if you can read a lttle bit of chinese and japanese you should be able to find it if not PM me i will try to translate it for u

abc1
11-27-2005, 03:29 AM
I found autobacs over a week ago. Actually I didn't found it. I just seen some guy's car and thought it was pretty cool so I started taking a picture of it. He notices me and then we started talking and he told me and got his rims and other little things done at autobacs. I started asking him for directions on getting there, but in the end he decided to drive me there! He then drove me home and about an hour later he camed to the door with a car model of a WRC Subaru WRX.