PDA

View Full Version : Driver goes 3 miles with lodged body in windshield

wildrice
11-09-2005, 07:59 PM
http://sptimes.com/2005/10/20/Tampabay/Driver_goes_3_miles_w.shtml

ST. PETERSBURG - A 93-year-old motorist struck and killed a pedestrian Wednesday evening, then drove about 3 miles with the body lodged in the windshield until he was stopped at a Sunshine Skyway tollbooth.

The driver told officers he thought the body had fallen from the sky, said St. Petersburg police Officer Mike Jockers.

"He had no idea he had been involved in an accident," Jockers said. "He doesn't totally understand what happened."

The crash occurred about 8:30 p.m. when the 52-year-old pedestrian attempted to cross 34th Street S from east to west near 46th Avenue S, witnesses told police.

The pedestrian made it across two of the southbound lanes before he was hit by a 2002 Chevy Malibu, which was traveling about 45 mph, police said.

The impact severed the pedestrian's lower right leg, which remained in the street. His head and arms went through the windshield, while the rest of his body flipped up onto the roof of the car, Jockers said.

"The driver continued southbound, as the eyewitness said, like nothing happened," Jockers said.

As the car approached the toll plaza, the toll taker thought it was a prank, until he saw the blood.

When the driver stopped, the body fell into the car, Jockers said.

A veteran traffic investigator, Jockers said it was one of the most gruesome scenes he has worked.

Neither the name of the driver nor the name of the victim was released Wednesday.

The victim had been living in a motel on 34th Street S. Friends said he had been trying to get to McDonald's for a bite to eat, Jockers said.

The driver, who lives in Pinellas Park, told police that he was headed home. Pinellas Park, however, is miles in the opposite direction.

"Obviously, he was confused," Jockers said. "Incredibly confused."

The driver was taken to Bayfront Medical Center for evaluation.

He will probably not face criminal charges, as he appeared unaware that he had been involved in an accident, Jockers said.

-- Times staff writer Graham Brink contributed to this report.

Shaolin
11-09-2005, 08:02 PM
what the hell is a 93 year old doing with a weapon on wheels? :dunno:

11-09-2005, 08:13 PM
What a idiot, how can you not know there is a body through your windshield, im suprised he even got 3 miles would be hard to see where your going:confused:

DJ Lazy
11-09-2005, 08:18 PM
Double You Tee Eff!!!!!!!! :confused: :eek:

I'm pretty confused about this one... Holy shit.. unbelieveable..

nismodrifter
11-09-2005, 08:18 PM
I've had it with old people on the road. THEY ARE NOT SAFE. Plain and simple. I have seen WAY too many idiotic maneuvers from old people who have NO IDEA of what they are doing/the trouble they are causing.

I am all for retesting every X number of years after a certain age, incidents like this just show how bad shit can get.

:guns: :guns:

szw
11-09-2005, 08:19 PM
I like the fact that right below your post, the google ad that appears says "1-800 Hows My Driving?"

streetarab
11-09-2005, 08:20 PM
yet another unbelievably strong argument for license retesting

edit-shit, three posts in the time it took me to type, yes, again, need more old people retesting, and soccer-mom-in-suv retesting, and asshole on cell phone retesting......

Carfanman
11-09-2005, 10:38 PM
This is crazy. My condolences to the family off the pedestrian. The very sad part is, he might have lived, had the driver stopped upon impact, even if he became disabled. Or he might have been fine, if the driver actually watched the fricken road, knew what was going on, and hit the brakes.

I think you should get retested every five years from the time you get your permit. Like Streetarab said, you have younger people on cell phones and b1tchy soccermoms driving like crap also, its not just the elderly.
Although I dont think in this case a retest would have helped, assuming he was otherwise driving fine.
Maybe they should routinely put dummys in the way of the car during driving test, to see how the student is with pedestrians coming out of nowhere? Obviously then they'd need to test on a specified course, not just on the regular roads.

This really sucks though, I feel so bad for the family.

l8braker
11-09-2005, 10:53 PM
so many people bitch about young drivers... well someone who has been driving for X amount of years and thinks that they know their shit and nothing can happen to them... that's scary.

soccer moms/dads/construction workers in their trucks/seniors :eek:

RickDaTuner
11-09-2005, 10:57 PM
if you remeber there was a case like this in the USA not to long ago, but it was a woman who hit some one at night, and the Victum spent three days Lodged in the windsheild while the car was in the garage, anyone know how that turned out?

last i heard she was getting charged with Thrid degree Murder

l8braker
11-09-2005, 11:01 PM
^ yea dude. she hit the homeless guy and then parked her car in the garage, and went and had sex with her boyfriend! :eek:

can't remember the sentance though..

treg50
11-09-2005, 11:03 PM
SHIT! That is pretty gruesome! LOL, DAMN! Just picturing the description of how it looked in the windshield and on the roof, then how it must've slid forward when he came to a stop and then fell into the front seat area... : o Man oh man.

crazydriver
11-09-2005, 11:25 PM
Ouch!, that senior needs some help if he didn't notice the body there after hitting the pedestrian and driving for 3 miles

rc2002
11-09-2005, 11:28 PM
OMG. Even if they threw the guy in jail, he probably wouldn't be there long. 93 years old?!?

Seanith
11-09-2005, 11:44 PM
thats brutal. that old guy probably shouldn't have been driving for the past 10 years at least. i hope he at least gets his licence taken away so he can't drive anymore

codo
11-09-2005, 11:46 PM
i say i hit the 93 year old with a car claim i didnt know what was going on then drive 3 miles

HoisinSauce
11-10-2005, 12:05 AM
god damn tampabay

Carfanman
11-10-2005, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by codo
i say i hit the 93 year old with a car claim i didnt know what was going on then drive 3 miles

You're a loser.
The guy shouldnt be driving, sure, but he obviously has a mental disorder, and didnt intend to do anything wrong. Why the fuck should he die for that?