PDA

View Full Version : Switching Insurance Companies

dj_honda
11-09-2005, 08:44 PM
Alright, so my Dad wants to change insurance companies and last month he recieved several quotes that were much much cheaper than what his current insurance company is asking for. His policy is up for renewal on November 17 or 18 I believe.

In order to switch to one of the companies that quoted him a lower price, one of the requirements is an insurance claims report letter from the current insurance company. My Dad asked for this letter approximated a week and a half ago, and we have yet to recieve it. He called the insurance broker, who says that it takes time to get this report bla bla bla, and then started asking questions about what company he is switching to etc. and says she can get him a lower price than she initially quoted (backtracking....:rolleyes: ) etc etc. One of the reasons why he is switching is due to poor customer service, and therefore he doesn't want to have to deal with this lady at all.

My question is, is she full of shit, saying that it takes over 2 weeks to get this claims report? Because it seems like she is trying to hold out (the long weekend is this week) and try to force my dad to have no choice but to sign with her again or risk having a small period of time with no insurance.

I know there are insurance agents on this site (DaveP maybe?) and I would greatly appreciate your input!

Thanks in advance.

lastprodigy
11-10-2005, 03:21 AM
haha sounds alot like my bitch broker...who are you with?

dj_honda
11-10-2005, 09:07 AM
Trilagy is the brokers. the insurance company was ING. My dad got a wicked quote from TD I think it was. I am stuck with this broker bitch until february when my renewal comes up.:thumbsdow

DelSoln
11-10-2005, 12:41 PM
TD is the best. :thumbsup:

A790
11-10-2005, 02:23 PM
I'm with Blue Circle. They kick ass.

2000_SI
11-10-2005, 03:22 PM
I use the Cooperators....and they are Awsome...

I pay less for full coverage than some people my age pay for basic...
They are also realy good to deal with... friendly, and I remember when my car got hail damage, they decided to go with a painless dent repair, and since it was cheaper for them to go that way, they waived my deductable!

Bill Cosby
11-10-2005, 03:42 PM
thats a sweet deal, im with Rigby Insurance (ING).. and im paying an arm and a leg, i should be expecting some deductions due to age and driving history, but i dont think they will come into affect because my personal agent is a shifty shifty guy, i can leave msg and msg for him and he will never call me back.. super cool guy :thumbsdow

kaput
11-10-2005, 03:53 PM

FatboyTheHungry
11-10-2005, 04:01 PM
Broker sounds pretty crooked. A reference letter should take only as long as the time it takes to bring up the info on your policy, and the time to draft the letter. Should have it in an afternoon. I use StateFarm, and they have always given me whatever I need within an hour... My agent's name is Leon North, he is in the NE, just off 32nd Ave and 12th St. Great rates, outstanding service.

Mr. Burns
11-10-2005, 04:10 PM
The Cooperators (Brentwood branch) have been no less than fantastic to my wife and I.

dj_honda
11-10-2005, 05:25 PM
so i called ING Insurance directly, and they got me the form in 10 mins. what a bunch of bs. don't buy insurance through Trilagy!!!:closed:

mo_money2supe
11-10-2005, 05:33 PM
Yeah, there's no way getting that insurance claim form should take that long! I'm switching my Alberta insurance over to Saskatchewan insurance to save myself some money, and it only took my old insurance company to call the head office, get them to fax the form to them, and me to go pick it up from the broker in less than a day!

Btw, I LOVE this SGI insurance over here. I've been quoted ~$750 / yr. for FULL COVERAGE on my car instead of the insane $1600+ / yr. in Alberta for their stupid PLPD (basic coverage)! And I've been insured through them for 6 years without any claims too!

rith
11-10-2005, 05:42 PM
I got my experience claims report from RBC insurance in 2 days.

I'm going to Toronto Dominion now.. got sick of being on hold with RBC ALL The time...

dj_honda
11-14-2005, 09:16 AM
Hah, so the saga continues....

The letter that I got was only from 2004-2005. When I called them about it they said that they couldnt access the files or whatever for before 2004 for some reason and to contact the broker. :(

Back to square one.