PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes Power

Yellow_Fly_Red
02-20-2003, 02:30 AM
CL 65 AMG
600 hp and 723 lb-ft of torque

Rumour has it that they might put this Engine into the SL's and call it the SL 65 AMG.

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=08359898

:bigpimp:

kenny
02-20-2003, 02:42 AM
time to line up for SL65 heheh =)

mrmattyk
02-20-2003, 02:52 AM
I respect what Benz does for performance. I just dont like the look of their cars. The only one I sort of liked was Kenny's. Not my kind of car :nut:

buh_buh
02-20-2003, 03:24 AM
I dont think they look too bad. Except for the CL.

RiceCake
02-20-2003, 04:19 AM
Damn MB is getting some very impressive numbers! :thumbsup:

Hakkola
02-20-2003, 12:37 PM
HOLY! 725 ft/lbs torque?

CL65 this year???

___2PaC___
02-20-2003, 02:23 PM
Benz are nice.....

ACS-e36
02-20-2003, 03:04 PM
benz or bimmer?! always rivals but i think benz is more luxury than bmw but bmw gotta sportier look

___2PaC___
02-21-2003, 02:14 PM
:werd:
some benz have sportier looks, some...

Yellow_Fly_Red
02-25-2003, 01:45 AM
CL 65 AMG: 1000 Newton metres of torque already available at 2000 rpm
Mercedes-AMG is the creator of yet another automotive masterpiece which celebrates its world premiere in Geneva. The new CL 65 AMG continues the success-ful twelve-cylinder tradition of Mercedes-AMG with an up-to-date V12 power unit which exhibits stunning performance characteristics. Thanks to twin turbocharging this engine develops 450 kW/612 hp and makes a remarkable 1000 Newton metres of torque available from 2000 rpm. This makes the CL 65 AMG the most powerful AMG model to date.

Thanks to this muscular AMG 12-cylinder powerpack the Coupé matches the performance of thoroughbred sports cars: from standstill the CL 65 AMG accelerates to 100 km/h in only 4.5 seconds (provisional figure). Its maximum speed is electronically limited to 250 km/h.

The new AMG engine is based on the 12-cylinder unit of the Mercedes-Benz S-Class. In addition to an increase in displacement from 5513 to 5980 cubic centimetres, numerous other modifications are responsible for the output and torque increase in the new CL 65 AMG. For example the AMG engineers have increased ther cylinder bore from 82 to 82.6 millimetres, lengthened the stroke of the crankshaft by six millimetres to 93 millimetres and increased the charge pressure of the turbochargers to a maximum of 1.5 bar. In addition they have used forged pistons, main and big-end bearings made from extremely high temperature and pressure-resistant materials and enlarged the apertures in the injection nozzles to achieve a higher fuel flow. Power is transferred by a five-speed automatic transmission with the SPEEDSHIFT function and steering-wheel gearshift. The exceptional torque of the V12 is always safely under control, thanks to modifications to various transmission components, the rear axle differential, the drive shafts and the wheel carriers.

Like all models in the CL-Class the new CL 65 AMG is fitted as standard with the Active Body Control (ABC) suspension system, whose spring struts have been configured for greater stiffness in the high-performance Coupé.

http://www.mbnz.org/news/news.asp?id=203

:bigpimp: :bigpimp:

Joe Malms
02-25-2003, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
I dont think they look too bad. Except for the CL.

serious?
i think the CL is probanly the nicest mercedes, period!
damn..a cl65 would be the ultimate.

Glowrider
02-25-2003, 09:05 AM
BMW's are getting uglier and uglier. I find a lot of M5 owners are waiting for the new E-class AMG car to come out.

Yellow_Fly_Red
02-25-2003, 01:21 PM
I used to HATE Benzes because I think they are all Senior citizen cars... made for OLD people only and their style (80's and early 90's) is so boxy and bland.

Finally, IMHO their cars are getting more stylist and better looking.. with some nicely added power as well. Still super expensive, but you get a lot more for what you pay for.

I HATED the new looks of the BMW 750 and the Z4 at first....
but now that I've seen them a few times in real life....
I like the looks of the new BMW designs... Its all a matter of taste I guess.. so I probably have weird tastes...

Glowrider
02-25-2003, 04:16 PM
I remember when the Z3 first came out, everyone found it's styling "questionable", and that stuck with it as long as it was in production and still does today. I feel the same way about the Z4. I think it just looks so "gay", especially with the top up.

The new 7-series is a horrible mistake. Sales dropped like a rock, people were leaving them at the dealership, giving up their deposits. There are VERY few people who actually like the car. There was actually a petition started to get Bangle out of his position at BMW, last time I checked it had about 5,000 signatures, including mine.

And now, with BMW letting Alpina mangle the Z8, and offering it with only an automatic tranmission, I find many BMW owners are fed up and turning towards the Dark Side (MB).

bol
02-25-2003, 04:35 PM
i dunno man, i like the new7 series, a lot of people like it and sales haven't dropped like a rock on it.

and mentioning alpina is completely wrong. people don't buy an alpina because they want a sports car. people pay the extra for an alpina because they want a luxury car.

a lot of people are quick to judge just because they don't agree with something or like the way it looks.

even you said that the E46's M3's engine was a peice of shit because it had 'too much rotating mass.'

Don't talk about things that you have no idea what you're talking about.

rage2
02-25-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by bol
and sales haven't dropped like a rock on it.

hehe... that's cuz BMW did some tricks with it's sales numbers, counting cars delivered to dealers (but not sold to customers) as sold, for example... it was uncovered in an issue of Roundel (BMW club mag) a while back.

I heard the new 7 is really popular in HK though, here in Calgary, I've only seen one on the road, the black one where the owner works downtown. See him once a month.

Glowrider
02-25-2003, 04:51 PM
and mentioning alpina is completely wrong

BMW discontinued the normal Z8, and now only offers the Alpina Roadster (Z8), which is only available with an automatic transmission. So now, anyone who wants a Z8, is forced to stick with the Alpina.

http://www.bmwusa.com/site_layout/models/0280/z8main.html

See for yourself.

Glowrider
02-25-2003, 04:52 PM
that's cuz BMW did some tricks

Not to mention offering thousands upon thousands of dollars in rebates to get people to stay in a 7-series.

bol
02-25-2003, 04:53 PM
a sale is still a sale, regardless where it's made

sales overseas are very good on the E65. it's not as accepted here because it is a radical change, and north american customers are generally wary of changes.

most new bodystyles from BMW get the same response.

i've seen a few in calgary, a silver and a couple of black ones. there are a lot going around in vancouver though, and one of the dealerships had trouble keeping up with demand for awhile.

bol
02-25-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Glowrider

BMW discontinued the normal Z8, and now only offers the Alpina Roadster (Z8), which is only available with an automatic transmission. So now, anyone who wants a Z8, is forced to stick with the Alpina.

http://www.bmwusa.com/site_layout/models/0280/z8main.html

See for yourself.

Alpina is an independant manufacterer. Much like RUF to Porsche, Spoon to Honda.

The fact that the two are working so closely together in the public eye is interesting and rare in the automotive world, but not unheard of.

The fact that the Z8 has been changed doesn't mean much, and to me it only indicates that theres something bigger and better coming.

Yes, it's odd, no, it's not bad news. It's called marketting. People that can afford the Z8, probably want an automatic.

Glowrider
02-25-2003, 05:30 PM
Not true...there a lot of M5 and Z8 owners who frequently attend track events. When you buy an M5 or a Z8, you get treated to whats called the Drivers Experience. It's designed to teach the owner of the car how to drive it in an aggressive manner without losing control. Pretty much everyone takes advantage of this, and from then on they fall in love and get into BMW CCA, PBOC, and other clubs and attend track events quite frequently. It's not uncommon to find M5 and Z8 track days.

There was an uproar within the BMW community when the Z8 was discontinued to make way for the Alpina Roadster, many people were mad that it was only offered with an automatic and a softened up suspension and re-done interior, turning it into a luxo roadster, rather than an exhilirating sports car with luxury appointments. Same with the release of the new 7-series.

Many M5 owners (who usually own atleast 1 other BMW) are switching to MB with the recent changes being revealed with the E60 5-series, in favor of the new E55 (65?) AMG.