PDA

View Full Version : Firefighter!

ex1z7
11-10-2005, 05:16 PM
I was thinking for a while about things I could get into, I've always wanted to be a mechanic but it isn't really the thing I want to do all day long.. I also was thinking about being a primary school teacher - year 1 or 2.. but the money isn't really there. Then I started thinking about what I always wanted to be, since I was a little kid. A fireman ! :)

I've been talking to friends and family who have worked/currently work in Search and Rescue / Police etc. and nobody seems to know how to become a fireman. Anyone have any idea's ?

I know it'll be very tough, and I'll have to get in extremely good shape. I know the hours can be crap and the money can suck compared to other things - but I want to learn a bit more about it so I can see if I would really like to become a fireman or not.

Thanks =)

2000_SI
11-10-2005, 05:18 PM
Do a search dude....

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101791

ex1z7
11-10-2005, 05:27 PM
Well, considering the only post that seemed to help from that thread was HockeyBronx - I guess I don't need this one. Sorry - I should have searched first.. I always get crap back when I search so .. heh .. :cry:

...:closed: I guess =)

hockeybronx
11-10-2005, 06:20 PM
If you have any questions feel free to ask me. I can give you a quick run-down of the process, the steps you have to take and the courses you need and all that.

I've completed the recruitment process (5 phases) and now am awaiting a phone call to begin training.

Oh yeah... just a tip, nobody becomes a firefighter because of the hours or the money, they become one because it's a passion. If you want good hours and money then become a businessman.

Tyler883
11-13-2005, 04:11 PM
Why are you on a Canadian website asking about firemen, when your profile states that you are from Australia?

69cougar
11-13-2005, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx
If you have any questions feel free to ask me. I can give you a quick run-down of the process, the steps you have to take and the courses you need and all that.

I've completed the recruitment process (5 phases) and now am awaiting a phone call to begin training.

Oh yeah... just a tip, nobody becomes a firefighter because of the hours or the money, they become one because it's a passion. If you want good hours and money then become a businessman.

SO have you been told you made it or are you waiting to hear that you made it?

ecstasy_civic
11-13-2005, 07:12 PM

:werd:
Its a career, its not a job, once you join the dept. your in and 99.8% of people dont leave.
Its like a brotherhood, you do it because you love it.

hockeybronx
11-14-2005, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by 69cougar

SO have you been told you made it or are you waiting to hear that you made it?

All of my steps for the recruitment process are complete. Now they will phone me and give me six weeks to prepare for the training class.

The training is 6-7 weeks in length and it's on salary. Now I've heard there have been cases where people have failed/been kicked out of training, so the only option is to have focus and give it 110% and I'll be fine.

At this point with a positive attitude, a mature outlook, an unbeatable work ethic, and a burning desire to get in... I'm confident everything will go alright.

Sophal
11-15-2005, 10:47 PM

All of my steps for the recruitment process are complete. Now they will phone me and give me six weeks to prepare for the training class.

The training is 6-7 weeks in length and it's on salary. Now I've heard there have been cases where people have failed/been kicked out of training, so the only option is to have focus and give it 110% and I'll be fine.

At this point with a positive attitude, a mature outlook, an unbeatable work ethic, and a burning desire to get in... I'm confident everything will go alright.

did you need your NFPA 1001?

hockeybronx
11-15-2005, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Sophal

did you need your NFPA 1001?

Nope:D

The 1001 program is a good pre-requisite, and it's recommended by most Fire Departments, but if you ask most current firefighters with the city of Calgary, that course is an absolute cash cow. Pay $8500.00 to take a course which you are going to get paid for later???

In my opinion a good attitude, a mature personality, and an outlook that says "I'm willing to do anything it takes to be a firefighter" outweighs the 1001 course.

However Calgary is one of the few Fire Departments in Canada that still does not require 1001 training. Now perhaps in the next couple of years it may require that, but it doesn't right now.

Sophal
11-16-2005, 06:52 PM
i was thinking about taking the 1001 but my friend says it's a waste of money and you're not gaureenteed a job. soo i'm kinda troubled about that. CFD on their website are thinking about putting that as a prereq which is kinda dumb since they have their own inhouse training.

hockeybronx
11-16-2005, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Sophal
i was thinking about taking the 1001 but my friend says it's a waste of money and you're not gaureenteed a job. soo i'm kinda troubled about that. CFD on their website are thinking about putting that as a prereq which is kinda dumb since they have their own inhouse training.

Yeah, that statement on their website has been on there for about a year now. I talked to a few people within recruiting a while ago, and they told me that the 1001 course being a requirement just keeps getting pushed back further and further.

There is nothing that can "guarantee" you a job. People think if you have a trade, or your 1001, or are 35 years old you can walk right onto the force. However they soon find out that the 5-step process is a lot harder than they expect.

I've heard a ton of good comments from graduates of the 1001 program offered here in Calgary. The guys said it was a ton of fun and a great experience with the things they are taught and get to try out... plus you make a lot of good friends along the way.

Maybe more and more people are going to need the 1001 in the future, but I can only speak from my own experience and I didn't need the 1001 to get through the recruitment process.