PDA

View Full Version : what's wrong with my 93civic si

wesseam
11-10-2005, 05:42 PM
i drive a 93 civic si and as of late its been acting up. whats happening is when i'm driving and for example im at 4000rpm it drops to about 1500-2000rpm and then back up in about 2 second then drives fin for a while then the same thing happens again. and another problem is it turns off randomly for no apparent reason?
i told my brother to take it to the mechanics and when he drives it nothing happens with him and he end drives it all day and nothing happens at all. i drive it to go to work and i only work about 10 min from my house and it barley seems to want to make it there.
any ideas of what it may be this is my 3rd 93 civic and this is the first time i've had this issue or even heard of of it.
any ideas????

gen2teggy
11-10-2005, 05:44 PM
dirty engine? change ur filter? i dunno
good luck

gen2teggy
11-10-2005, 05:49 PM
or the fuel pump?

rony_espana
11-10-2005, 05:58 PM
Ask Rickdatuner, he seems to know everything about these cars, helped me out a lot with mine!!!

Bill Cosby
11-10-2005, 06:01 PM
is your idling normal?

mo_money2supe
11-10-2005, 06:01 PM
I think I know what you're talking about. It happened to me about 2 months ago in my Civic as well, where the car just seemed to have "stalled," if one could call it that, while on the road, and then restarted itself a split second later. The worse thing was that after I took my car to an alignment shop, the car wouldn't even start!

I'm not exactly sure what was wrong with it, but I had installed some heated seats into my car by myself some time ago, and I guess the wires could've come loose since I piggy-backed off one of the ignition wires. So I ended up taking apart my wiring and reconnecting everything again. I also resetted my alarm by unhooking the battery and letting it sit for about 5 minutes. The car started fine after that, although I never did figure out exactly what the problem was. But I haven't had that stalling or starting problem ever since, that's all that matters.

So maybe see if you have some loose ignition wires, or maybe try resetting your alarm (if applicable)? :dunno: Oh yeah, I had just swapped in an engine about a month before that, so that could've affected it as well, but doubt it. I'd say best bet is to just take it to a mechanic, and get them to test each one of the ignition wires, though that could be costly since it'll take a lot of time to do so.

Wish you the best of luck on it though!

wesseam
11-10-2005, 06:04 PM
my idle is normal, when i netural is revies at about 750-1000rpm

wesseam
11-10-2005, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by mo_money2supe
I think I know what you're talking about. It happened to me about 2 months ago in my Civic as well, where the car just seemed to have "stalled," if one could call it that, while on the road, and then restarted itself a split second later. The worse thing was that after I took my car to an alignment shop, the car wouldn't even start!

I'm not exactly sure what was wrong with it, but I had installed some heated seats into my car by myself some time ago, and I guess the wires could've come loose since I piggy-backed off one of the ignition wires. So I ended up taking apart my wiring and reconnecting everything again. I also resetted my alarm by unhooking the battery and letting it sit for about 5 minutes. The car started fine after that, although I never did figure out exactly what the problem was. But I haven't had that stalling or starting problem ever since, that's all that matters.

So maybe see if you have some loose ignition wires, or maybe try resetting your alarm (if applicable)? :dunno: Oh yeah, I had just swapped in an engine about a month before that, so that could've affected it as well, but doubt it. I'd say best bet is to just take it to a mechanic, and get them to test each one of the ignition wires, though that could be costly since it'll take a lot of time to do so.

Wish you the best of luck on it though!
thanks alot i willing to try anything at this point i havent drivin my car for like a week and getting a little angry with it.

Weapon_R
11-10-2005, 06:16 PM
I doubt its the ignition.

Try unpluggin your o2 sensor and driving. Make sure you tape the o2 sensor harness somewhere so it doesn't drag or touch the hot exhaust.

See if this changes anything. You may throw a code, but at least you'll know what the problem is.

wesseam
11-10-2005, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
I doubt its the ignition.

Try unpluggin your o2 sensor and driving. Make sure you tape the o2 sensor harness somewhere so it doesn't drag or touch the hot exhaust.

See if this changes anything. You may throw a code, but at least you'll know what the problem is.
if i unplug it what is supposed to happen when i do that, sorry to sound stuiped but not the sharpest knife when it comes to certin things in cars.

wesseam
11-10-2005, 06:25 PM
forgot to mention one thing i had the ignitor and the distributor changed about 2 months ago and i had a few people say it may be going again?

Weapon_R
11-10-2005, 06:33 PM
Once you unplug it, drive and see if it runs normal. If not, its not your o2. If it runs okay, its your o2. Simple and cheap test.

Darkane
11-10-2005, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by wesseam
i drive a 93 civic si and as of late its been acting up. whats happening is when i'm driving and for example im at 4000rpm it drops to about 1500-2000rpm and then back up in about 2 second then drives fin for a while then the same thing happens again. and another problem is it turns off randomly for no apparent reason?
i told my brother to take it to the mechanics and when he drives it nothing happens with him and he end drives it all day and nothing happens at all. i drive it to go to work and i only work about 10 min from my house and it barley seems to want to make it there.
any ideas of what it may be this is my 3rd 93 civic and this is the first time i've had this issue or even heard of of it.
any ideas????

How much ya want for the car? :devil:

wesseam
11-10-2005, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Once you unplug it, drive and see if it runs normal. If not, its not your o2. If it runs okay, its your o2. Simple and cheap test.
thanks i'll try that.

JordanEG6
11-10-2005, 08:11 PM
your coil could be going. it might not be giving enough spark at times, check your ignition coil/distributor....and did you check your sparkplugs, ignition wires etc? try getting a full tune up including rotor, cap and fuel filter change. that might help. :dunno:

wesseam
11-10-2005, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Darkane

How much ya want for the car? :devil:
2500 obo.