PDA

View Full Version : How Can I find out what type of MOBO i'm using?

Weapon_R
11-10-2005, 08:06 PM
I am looking to upgrade my computer and need to find out what type of processors my mobo can handle.

Any info on how to find out? There's nothing on the MOBO itself that I can see. Nothing in the control panel either.

hampstor
11-10-2005, 09:45 PM
Download cpu-z from www.cpuid.com

When you run it, there's a tab that says motherboard. In there it'll tell you the make, model, chipset as well as bios version.

Davetronz
11-10-2005, 10:00 PM
Werd to what hampstor said...
Nice little tool...

Hmmmm I am going to put bets on it being an Intel board.... or a ECS.....
Those are the only companies that seem secretive in their labelling

Weapon_R
11-10-2005, 10:04 PM
cool program, thanks.

Got this, but i'm still unsure of what model mobo I have. Must be some bullshit model or something.

ShadowDragonx
11-11-2005, 12:11 AM
i'm guessing it's a A7V400-MX

double check with asus's website to make sure

Weapon_R
11-11-2005, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by ShadowDragonx
i'm guessing it's a A7V400-MX

double check with asus's website to make sure

You're right! That's exactly it. How can I find out what processors this mobo will support?

A2VR6
11-11-2005, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

You're right! That's exactly it. How can I find out what processors this mobo will support?

You can find out from Asus. Looks like it supports AMD XP processors
http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=228&l1=3&l2=13&l3=63

So basically any Socket A AMD processors.

Weapon_R
11-11-2005, 12:54 AM
That's pretty limiting, i guess. Looks like the fastest socket A processor I can find is a 3200+, but I already have the 3000+.

Any other options or is a new mobo in order?

ShadowDragonx
11-11-2005, 01:08 AM
new mobo and cpu

if u got pc3200 ram then ur good to go

if i were u, i'd just stay with the 3000+

it should be good enough for most tasks, unless ur looking at some major gaming on ur computer

dragonone
11-11-2005, 04:09 AM
well i usually just open the case up and see what's going on
that way you can tell exactly what other cards you have as well
cpu will be in system properties

but that's a nice little tool i'll use next time

BerserkerCatSplat
11-11-2005, 04:12 AM
Time for a Socket 939 AMD64 (X2 if you want to go hardcore)!

tictactoe2004
11-11-2005, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
Time for a Socket 939 AMD64 (X2 if you want to go hardcore)!

if your going to upgrade wait a few more months for socket M2, it's 940 pins and will replace socket 939. (if you want something nice). It will also have DDR2 support for Athlons, so memory bandwidth will be far better.

hampstor
11-11-2005, 12:17 PM
I see there's a few suggestions for what you should upgrade to... so here's my 2 cents on it:

The key questions you should ask yourself are:

What is the reason for the upgrade?
Is there an application you are trying to run that isn't cutting it anymore?

Upgrade when you need to and either to fit the application you are doing or a little better. If you do that then for the next while you may only be upgrading your memory or video card/hard drive. By the time you need to do your next cpu upgrade, you're going to end up buying a new board anyway.

Waiting it out when you're upgrading is expensive because there will ALWAYS be something just a bit better coming down the pipe that costs a little more. 30-50 bucks here and there adds up extremely fast. Before you know it, you've spent 200 bucks in addition for features you may never use.

I always recommend to friends/family (who are on a strict budget) that they ONLY upgrade when they need to and try not to think too far ahead for things they -might- do with the computer. This way, you don't spend a boat load of money on something you may never use. It's not like a car where it's difficult to add things on later that you didn't buy. It's a computer, you can always add something on later to meet your purpose.

I'm out of town the next few days so keep that in mind. I absolutely hate it when sales reps try to sell someone something without qualifying the customer on their purchase. ie: if you went in and said : "i need this specific board/cpu/mem/video card" and the sales rep does NOT ask what you're doing with it. I always get upset at the sales reps in my company if I catch them doing that.

Personally, i'd rather sell the customer something that costs less that does what he's after vs. up/over selling the customer. It's about customer service and getting a repeat customer who is happy with you helping them.

Davetronz
11-11-2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by hampstor
I'm out of town the next few days so keep that in mind. I absolutely hate it when sales reps try to sell someone something without qualifying the customer on their purchase. ie: if you went in and said : "i need this specific board/cpu/mem/video card" and the sales rep does NOT ask what you're doing with it. I always get upset at the sales reps in my company if I catch them doing that.

So tell me... How many Jiggawatts does this unit have?

hampstor
11-11-2005, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Davetronz

So tell me... How many Jiggawatts does this unit have?

I've actually had people ask me that before and meant it where i used to work :rofl:

Davetronz
11-11-2005, 07:35 PM
Been there, done that dude....
I believe I have heard every stupid question imaginable...

I once did work for a lady who in the middle of my on-site tech work decided to ask me if I had any idea why or how to stop her 4 year old son from urinating on the carpet....

ricosuave
11-12-2005, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Davetronz
Been there, done that dude....
I believe I have heard every stupid question imaginable...

I once did work for a lady who in the middle of my on-site tech work decided to ask me if I had any idea why or how to stop her 4 year old son from urinating on the carpet....

well did you?:D

Davetronz
11-12-2005, 11:53 AM
Well being the jerk that I am... I told her that when a cat or dog does something unwanted a rolled up newspaper or a spray bottle with water or vinegar seems to work wonders...

She kinda looked at me funny and didn't really say anything after...