PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here have a boiler heating system?

Weapon_R
11-11-2005, 08:08 PM
Weird topic. My parents have one in their home and its giving them a lot of trouble. I'd like to purchase another one for them and need to know where to look and how much a more efficient unit retails for.

If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.

ricosuave
11-12-2005, 09:34 AM
what is the problem they are having?

D-Man
11-12-2005, 11:31 AM
In my old house I had a high efficiency hot water boiler system with wall radiant heating. It's a great system, efficient, and gives a nice overall warming of the house.

When I moved in, I had no idea on the condition of the system nor if it had been serviced. The first thing I did was insulate all the exposed piping, the boiler and the hot water tank for better efficiency.

We'll, the first winter came and I noticed that the back side of the house was cold yet the other side of the house was warm. I realized that their must be air trapped into the system which is not allowing the hot water to travel thru the pipes on the back side of the house.

I turned off the system and replaced every single radiator air vent. I also cleaned every single radiator of dust/debris.

Once all the radiator air vents were installed, I turned the system back on and one by one opened the air vents to release the trapped air. You know this once water shoots out of the air vent.

After that, I had no problems and the whole house was nice and toasty...

Weapon_R
11-12-2005, 12:53 PM
that's the exact problem they're having. Some of the house is warm, other parts are cold.

D-Man
11-12-2005, 02:58 PM
So you know what you have to do then.

Just an FYI, you should release the air in the system atleast once a year, usually when you turn on the heat...