PDA

View Full Version : accident...

DC2
11-12-2005, 08:40 AM
hey guys, just need some advice.

this morning i went to tims before i went to work, when leaving this truck turns right at a stop sign and i follow. I think he noticed he was going the wrong way and he stopped and reversed. His truck (company truck pretty new GMC Serria) had a trailer hitch, when he reversed he dented and cracked my bumper. dent is about 1 cm deep and crack is about 20cm long. It also scratched the top part of my bumper as well. (where is says integra) I got his drivers license info and his operations manager's card. but he claimed that since its a company truck there arent any registration or insurance papers. he told me that he'd pay for it all and everything. (The previous owner had the car repainted to a metallic gunmetal color, there is no code on my car anywhere)

the only thing im afraid of is that he doesnt pay for it later on. my buddy got into a accicent like this and the guy said that he'd pay him but he didnt return any of his calls and just ignored him.

any suggestions?

EDIT: could he say that i ran into him?

ricosuave
11-12-2005, 08:55 AM
well first of all, hes lying - every vehicle has insurance and registation papers, even if they are fleet vehicles.

sounds to me like he didnt want to fess up to his boss, and wanted to pay you directly.

that having been said, give him a couple of days to pay for it, and if not, tell him (and follow through) that youre going to talk to someone in his company (his boss) about it.

good luck

rico

AcuraTl
11-12-2005, 08:56 AM
if it looked like it would be an expensive fix you should probably go through insurance. Fender benders are common...sometimes the guy will say he or she can afford to pay it straight up...but ALWAYS take all there insurance info down, and talk to them later about the money. When i got hit in a parking lot, the guy offered to pay me cash for it. However when i contact him later, and said i might need money for a car rental since bumper had to be replaced, he started to BS with me, saying he had pics my car was badly parked...BOOM i contact insurance, and within a few months he accepted fault and all was cool...PM me if you need any more advice :thumbsup:

DC2
11-12-2005, 08:58 AM
http://members.shaw.ca/kevin.lu/DSCF0207.JPG

http://members.shaw.ca/kevin.lu/DSCF0213.JPG

DC2
11-12-2005, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by ricosuave

sounds to me like he didnt want to fess up to his boss, and wanted to pay you directly.

rico

he told me that he didnt want me to talk to his boss yet cuz he might get fired, and to settle this b/w us.

ricosuave
11-12-2005, 09:02 AM
that looks worse than i thought...

if it were me, id go and file a police report on it to CYA, and then call the company and report it to them.

give us more detail about what the guy said to you and what the 'plan' is

rico

DC2
11-12-2005, 09:04 AM
he didnt really say much he told me if i got some quotes he'd pay me if not bring it to his cousins shop and he'll fix it right up

D. Dub
11-12-2005, 09:09 AM
Give the guy a chance to fix his mistake and live up to his commitment.

If he doesn't follow through in a week or so.

Use the license # and GO TO HIS BOSS!!:D

ricosuave
11-12-2005, 09:10 AM
well it depends on if you want to be a jerk or not.

if you want to do the guy a favour, you can get the quotes and let him pay for it - but dont waste time, do it now. and dont let his cousin or whatever near it.

or if not, and you dont trust him, id report the accident to the police and my insurance, and then call his boss and the company.

i realize this is a hard decision, but think if you were in his shoes - would you want someone to keep it quiet, or would you accept the accident and live with the consequences? maybe the guy is sincere and just wants to keep it quiet because he will lose his job. on the other hand, he lied to you about the ins/reg thing, so i dont know that he can be trusted...

and yes, he could say that you ran into him...

rico

btw, i would get all, and i mean all the details down on paper right now, from the weather to what he said exactly, in case you need it later on.

AcuraTl
11-12-2005, 09:16 AM
that looks worse than i thought...

if it were me, id go and file a police report on it to CYA, and then call the company and report it to them.

give us more detail about what the guy said to you and what the 'plan' is

rico

:thumbsup:

JordanEG6
11-12-2005, 11:02 AM
damn kevin, that DOES look worse than I thought. :eek: i say give a him a couple days to pay up, like rico said. if hes not being honest and tries to avoid you, take it striaght to his employer.

if you end up getting the quotes for him, again...go to marenello's (sp?) then he'll pay up...then go to Maaco and keep the change :devil:

lol haha j/k good luck buddy

JordanEG6
11-12-2005, 11:04 AM
btw, since theres no color match...save up for some championship white :D

garyb
11-12-2005, 11:10 AM
he shouldn't lose his job for an accident in a company car, thats what insurance is for.....

DC2
11-12-2005, 11:59 AM
i went and i reported it took a long ass time.
well i got a quote from a family friends place.
950 bones. they need to replace the bumber, find the matching paint and paint.

is there anywhere else you guys think i sould get a quote from? any favorites?

l8braker
11-12-2005, 12:21 PM
Damn dude, good luck :thumbsup:

JordanEG6
11-12-2005, 12:28 PM
try A1 auto body, or is there any autobodys that give discounts if you work at hertz? cause, when i worked for budget rent a car, A1 and Angelo's gave me discount quotes. :dunno:

infected
11-12-2005, 12:28 PM
Woudln't it be close to impossible to match the paint if you have no codes for it? They say they'll match it but it ALWAYS comes out slightly different... does this mean you can respray your whole car?

DC2
11-12-2005, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by infected
does this mean you can respray your whole car?

well i always can. its just if he's going to pay for it or not. it'll be cool if he did.

DelSoln
11-12-2005, 12:40 PM
You won't be able to get the whole car resprayed unless the guy is a saint lol. Anyways don't all good body shops have the ability to blend in paint even without the color code to match the rest of the car?

ninspeed
11-12-2005, 08:11 PM
you dont need a code... its just a number to start with... you can scan the paint, and tint from there...

Goblin
11-12-2005, 09:22 PM
well first of all, hes lying - every vehicle has insurance and registation papers, even if they are fleet vehicles.

that having been said, give him a couple of days to pay for it, and if not, tell him (and follow through) that youre going to talk to someone in his company (his boss) about it.

good luck

rico

You are correct. I talk to so many fleet driviers, and 5/10, its there own personal insurance That is why he doesn't want to go through insurance.

DC2
11-13-2005, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by ninspeed
you dont need a code... its just a number to start with... you can scan the paint, and tint from there...

is that a specific shop or any?

Nix87
11-13-2005, 01:39 AM
Kevin buddy thats rough! Make sure you get that taken care of asap!

DC2
11-14-2005, 06:15 PM
okay. time for more advice.

i got a couple of quotes from some autobody shops
highest place was 1450.00
lowest place was 1000.00

the thing that all the shops told me was that there might be more damage under the bumper and they cant tell until they take it off. And that because i have no paint code they might take longer and more shop time to match it.

my dilemma: since im getting a new bumper. why not save the money he gives me and get a JDM front end? what are the chances that there is damage behind the bumper?

Supa Dexta
11-14-2005, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by DC2

is that a specific shop or any?

National told me they can get it atleast 90% accurate, now or months down the road didn't matter...

:)

JordanEG6
11-14-2005, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by DC2
okay. time for more advice.

i got a couple of quotes from some autobody shops
highest place was 1450.00
lowest place was 1000.00

the thing that all the shops told me was that there might be more damage under the bumper and they cant tell until they take it off. And that because i have no paint code they might take longer and more shop time to match it.

my dilemma: since im getting a new bumper. why not save the money he gives me and get a JDM front end? what are the chances that there is damage behind the bumper?

I'd do the JDM front end. if you get a G from this guy, you've already paid for half your conversion. buy the conversion once you get the money, we'll install it, then drive around with that one for the winter then get it painted by the spring. if there is 'hidden damage' like a bent rad support or rebar for example, you have to change that in your conversion anyways, AND the shops will also charge more, therefore you get more money in your pocket. but thats IMO.
:D

Police
11-14-2005, 11:55 PM
its hard to tell from pics, but i doubt there is much damage behind the bumper you can try to peek under it or just take it off yourself.

DC2
11-21-2005, 02:38 PM
ok so this tard wanted me to go thru his company. so his operations manager calls me and tells me that i have to bring it to this bodyshop that his company deals with cuz they deal in high volumes. he told me if its cheaper there, he wants me to get it fixed there. and if its cheaper with the places i got my quotes i can get it done there.

dont i get to pick where i get it fixed?

im pretty fed up with this shit.

Evo prec
11-21-2005, 02:48 PM
yeah man u do get to take it where ever u want it to get fixed. dont deal with there crap cause they wanna use as little money as possible. if they keep jerking you around call ur insurance company and ask them to make a third party claim on your behalf and then it will deal directly with there insurance company.

lamp_shade_2000
11-21-2005, 02:58 PM
Ultimatley the truck driver is the one who messed up, so its not his right to bargain nor is it the company's right. You are the innocent one in all of this so its whomever you choose to do the work. Tell them that this is where you take all your work and that is where you want your car done. you like the quality of work that your shop does and thats final. If they dont like it thenjust go to the insurance company and they will deal with it from there.

DC2
11-21-2005, 06:13 PM
oookkk even more fucked up news.

went to that place where the ops manager told me to go to. it was in forest lawn need i say more? (i kid) well this place was an absoulte dump. Just inside his office, he had a fender, 2 rims, misc. car parts newpapers from months ago and a fishtank with no fish with green water.

anyways the guy there quoted me 690. reason why it was so cheap, they are going NOT going to replace the bumper just sent it back to manufacturer and fix it fixed. and hes NOT going to repaint the whole bumper just that one section. I'm afraid that the company is just going to either pay me 690 or let this place take care of it.

btw. i dont have collision coverage, so insurance cant do nada thing.

pr0
11-21-2005, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by DC2

went to that place where the ops manager told me to go to. it was in forest lawn need i say more? (i kid) well this place was an absoulte dump. Just inside his office, he had a fender, 2 rims, misc. car parts newpapers from months ago and a fishtank with no fish with green water.

anyways the guy there quoted me 690. reason why it was so cheap, they are going NOT going to replace the bumper just sent it back to manufacturer and fix it fixed. and hes NOT going to repaint the whole bumper just that one section. I'm afraid that the company is just going to either pay me 690 or let this place take care of it.

Tell them to fuck off or you will take them to small claims court. That damage is well over 1000. Don't let them half ass you. Your car isn't a piece of shit; therefore, it deserves to be repaired properly.

AcuraTl
11-21-2005, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by pr0

Tell them to fuck off or you will take them to small claims court. That damage is well over 1000. Don't let them half ass you. Your car isn't a piece of shit; therefore, it deserves to be repaired properly.

^ yea

threaten with litigation, say that its far enough you tried to help them out by not alerting insurance. But now threaten to go through insurance, your the MAN now dog!! YOUR THE MAN!

AllGoNoShow
11-21-2005, 06:36 PM
Your right, you may not have collision so your insurance wont cover you, but since you didn't hit anyone, you don't have to worry. Their insurance pays for it all, your insurance company just deals with them and relieves stress for you.

I am in the same boat in a way. Guy is going to pay, got a couple of quotes, need work on my back aswell as passengers back, can't do framing and drywalling anymore as I'm not supposed to lift things like that, so I got quite the ordeal going on for myself. Going to give it a shot without insurance to save him on insurance rates since his daughter hit me, if shit starts going fishy then one phone call and it isn't my problem to deal with it and I will still come away with everything fixed.

DC2
11-21-2005, 06:45 PM
do large company's usually give you a cheque for it or do you they get charged by the bodyshop that does the work?

company is alsa road construction

EDIT: so i can just basically call their insurance company and deal with them right?

JordanEG6
11-21-2005, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by DC2

THAT IS TOTAL BS! :guns: :bullshit: tell them its your way or your taking it straight to his or the company's insurance. hes trying to save money and his ass by ripping you off.

Originally posted by pr0

:werd: :werd:

FlySi
11-21-2005, 08:11 PM
that's an easy fix, your bumper wasn't new to begin with, and if the body shop can fix it and warranty it, I don't see why you would take advantage of the situation and the guys money because you are in a position to do so.

have it fixed, if its not up to your standards, then you can file a claim with insurance. Why force him to buy brand new parts when you that crack can be fixed with little time or effort. the whole bumper *must* be repainted (or at least clear coated) for the job to look right.

don't take it to the ghetto body shop though.

90s_tuner
11-21-2005, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by FlySi
that's an easy fix, your bumper wasn't new to begin with, and if the body shop can fix it and warranty it, I don't see why you would take advantage of the situation and the guys money because you are in a position to do so.

have it fixed, if its not up to your standards, then you can file a claim with insurance. Why force him to buy brand new parts when you that crack can be fixed with little time or effort. the whole bumper *must* be repainted (or at least clear coated) for the job to look right.

that is stupid. Easy fix my ass; that thing is cracked in 2 different places. My friends dad's TSX had little scratches and they went a repainted the whole bumper because that is the proper way to do it.

There is no point in making a "claim" later because the insurance will say whats done was done.

JordanEG6
11-21-2005, 08:41 PM

most GOOD and competent shops would replace and paint the whole bumper. no use in half-assing the job and rip DC2 off. its IMO, not an easy fix and even at that to do the job properly you'll need to paint the WHOLE bumper. this little scheme is just a way to try and save the guy money.

D. Dub
11-21-2005, 08:46 PM

Exactly, you're only entitled to have the bumper in the condition it was in prior to the accident not a new one.

Even most insurance companies will NOT replace the whole bumper if it's repairable.

90s_tuner
11-21-2005, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by D. Dub

Exactly, you're only entitled to have the bumper in the condition it was in prior to the accident not a new one.

Even most insurance companies will NOT replace the whole bumper if it's repairable.

You won't understand until it happens to you. If they paint the single portion only I guarantee the rest of his bumper will be discoloured 2 years down the road. If insurance refuses to replace the bumper they can suck his cock. He can take them to court and win no contest. They hit his car and he wants it done properly.

JordanEG6
11-21-2005, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by 90s_tuner

You won't understand until it happens to you. If they paint the single portion only I guarantee the rest of his bumper will be discoloured 2 years down the road. If insurance refuses to replace the bumper they can suck his cock. He can take them to court and win no contest. They hit his car and he wants it done properly.

:werd: so far all the shops he's gone to, except that ONE, recommended replacement of the bumper or they could AT LEAST paint the whole thing IF it is fixable. again, his bumper is not an easy fix, its not the 'bondo and paint' kind of job, thats cheap and ghetto.

D. Dub
11-21-2005, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by 90s_tuner

No I said the whole bumper probably needs to be repainted. That bumper can most likely be fixed and you'd never know the difference.

A body part does not have to be replaced unless it can't be fixed from the perspectives of both cost effectiveness and appearance.

D. Dub
11-21-2005, 09:08 PM
If the body shops say replace the bumper then it's likely that it's unrepairable.

But then again, body shops almost always wanna replace the parts b/c 1. it's easier 2. they mark up the part above their cost and 3. they bill the book rate and not a piece rate.

Xtrema
11-21-2005, 10:45 PM
Anyhow, may this be a lesson to all. Always goes thru insurance. You paid for it, claim it.

It's a lot more painless. Plus don't you need to get a cop sticker before a bodyshop will work on your car?

Superesc
11-21-2005, 11:10 PM
file a police report asap and get it through insurance! Rather have less headache and worry.....