PDA

View Full Version : Mazda 6

dj_honda
02-20-2003, 06:27 PM
I saw a yellow mazda 6 today, i guess someone was taking it for a test drive. :eek: it didnt look like anything special on the commercials but its a pretty sweet car. I like the front end, i am not sure about the back end yet.

max_boost
02-20-2003, 06:33 PM
The car is SWEET!

But why the altezzas? Did they have an agreement with APC or something? lol

Aside from that, I think it is a very sleek, sexy looking car. I'm all about looks, not sure how well the motor performs and the interior amenities.

Speed_Dreams
02-20-2003, 06:39 PM
It looks good....Mazdaspeed is talking bout puting out a turbo verision :thumbsup:

but thats from SCC

szw
02-20-2003, 07:01 PM
Good looking car, but I hate their commercials.

"It might as well have come from europe...if it didn't come from Mazda first"

WTF is that supposed to mean? haha

hinggu
02-20-2003, 07:03 PM
I think the car looks pretty good. they had one at sunridge mall and from what i can tell, it is one sweet ride

tegdream
02-20-2003, 07:21 PM
apparently the north american models arent supposed to have altezzas...i read this in car & driver

Ferio_vti
02-20-2003, 07:29 PM
They lie. I talked to someone at Sunridge and we only get Altezzas.

I test drove the V6, its pretty sweet. Though I still find it too much of a family car.

Glowrider
02-20-2003, 07:48 PM
I haven't driven one yet, but I think it's a cool car. Great idea executed tastefully. Chalk one up for Mazda in my book.

Zephyr
02-20-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Ferio_vti
They lie. I talked to someone at Sunridge and we only get Altezzas.

I test drove the V6, its pretty sweet. Though I still find it too much of a family car.

they dont have altezzas in the states, already seen 30 of them or so. selling like hot cakes! i dunno i didn't have enough leg room when i pushed the seat all the way back... maybe i'm just too tall, but 6 ft is short...

ecstasyracer
02-20-2003, 08:17 PM
I have only seen base models at the dealerships so far. Can't wait to see one with the skirt package. Gotta love those headlights too, very sleek.

Glowrider
02-20-2003, 08:33 PM
they dont have altezzas in the states

Yeah, we have the Lexus IS300. It's got the 2JZ-GE in it, which is cool for 'yota guys because Supra parts (turbos, manifolds, etc) fit right on it. The same power in a lighter car...w00t.

Zephyr
02-20-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Glowrider

Yeah, we have the Lexus IS300. It's got the 2JZ-GE in it, which is cool for 'yota guys because Supra parts (turbos, manifolds, etc) fit right on it. The same power in a lighter car...w00t.

they talking about the tailights buddy. we do have the IS here...:rofl:

mrmattyk
02-20-2003, 08:39 PM
Is anyone aware that Mazda is a division of Ford now? Don't let the name fool you! Has the quality of the vehicles suffered?

Zephyr
02-20-2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by mrmattyk
Is anyone aware that Mazda is a division of Ford now? Don't let the name fool you! Has the quality of the vehicles suffered?

they own 33% of the company.... so its not ford's... have to own 51%

mrmattyk
02-20-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Zephyr

they own 33% of the company.... so its not ford's... have to own 51%

Although they don't have a controlling interest, I noticed some Mazda's look like Ford's (or vice versa). I hope Ford's 'quality' hasn't rubbed off on Mazda internal design and manufacturing.

Zephyr
02-20-2003, 09:05 PM

Although they don't have a controlling interest, I noticed some Mazda's look like Ford's (or vice versa). I hope Ford's 'quality' hasn't rubbed off on Mazda internal design and manufacturing.

toyota and pontiac share designs and engines... well mostly toyota makes the designs and creates the engines. but they aren't together... its just GM and Toyota. ford doesn't own mazda just owns 33% in shares.

mrmattyk
02-20-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Zephyr

toyota and pontiac share designs and engines... well mostly toyota makes the designs and creates the engines. but they aren't together... its just GM and Toyota. ford doesn't own mazda just owns 33% in shares.

:werd:

I am just saying I hope since Ford owns 1/3 of the company they haven't taken any iniative in design on the Mazda side :eek:

Zephyr
02-20-2003, 09:10 PM

:werd:

I am just saying I hope since Ford owns 1/3 of the company they haven't taken any iniative in design on the Mazda side :eek:

they better not. i dont want a new rx-7 with a stang front

ACS-e36
02-20-2003, 10:26 PM
its VERY nice... but im not a huge fan of mazda... im olny for the RX-7 maybe the 8

ecstasyracer
02-20-2003, 11:38 PM
Atleast Mazda and Ford are only sharing designs closely on the tribute/escpae. I could care less about the suv's. Mazda has made it clear that the rx-8 and any rotary powered cars are strictly there design and Ford has nothing to do with it. :)

Weapon_R
02-21-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by ecstasyracer
Atleast Mazda and Ford are only sharing designs closely on the tribute/escpae. I could care less about the suv's. Mazda has made it clear that the rx-8 and any rotary powered cars are strictly there design and Ford has nothing to do with it. :)

Too bad the rest of mazda's stuff is mainly rebadged Fords...shame too, the Mazda 6 would have been a cool car.

ecstasyracer
02-21-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Too bad the rest of mazda's stuff is mainly rebadged Fords...shame too, the Mazda 6 would have been a cool car.

How are any other Mazda's rebadged fords? Like I said the only models that are really similar is the tribute/escape.

lammer
02-21-2003, 12:58 AM
mx-6 --------> probe?
im not to sure.
i also think the mx-3 has stuff to do wit the probe too..

HRD2PLZ
02-21-2003, 09:21 AM
The Mazda 6 GT-V6 I looked at didn't have altezza's :dunno: It was a nice car IMO, but I'm, having second thoughts about buying one. Never really been a Mazda person and their relation to Ford seriously concerns me (every ford I had was problematic).

Zephyr
02-21-2003, 10:22 AM
FORD=Fix or Repair Daily

they just own stock yessh, its not like they taking over the entire company. stop worrying, thats why there is a warranty.

girlRACER
02-21-2003, 10:54 AM
hey I saw that car yesterday too. :drool: It's a very nice yellow. Is it expensive??

Glowrider
02-21-2003, 11:07 AM
Is it expensive??

I think it ends up being a little cheaper than the Accord V6 if you load them both up with options.

max_boost
02-21-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Glowrider

I think it ends up being a little cheaper than the Accord V6 if you load them both up with options.

And exterior styling wise, it is much nicer than that crappy accord sedan!

But the accord coupe just ROCKS! They stole the Benz taillights!

girlRACER
02-21-2003, 11:19 AM
hehe...speaking of...I raced an Accord Coupe V6 the other day. I managed to pull ahead in the beginning but it caught up pretty fast and then we were pretty much neck and neck. I think it was an auto cuz if it was manual it would've schooled me. But yah...it reminds of a CLK!

HRD2PLZ
02-21-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by girlRACER
hey I saw that car yesterday too. :drool: It's a very nice yellow. Is it expensive??

No, its pretty reasonably priced. For the GT-V6 (top of the line) with the EFX package (oem skirts, spoilers, sport interior) its just over $35K for the automatic sport shift and around $34K for the 5-speed.

I forget what magazine tested the Accord, 6, Altima and something else...But they ranked the Mazda 6 number 2 overall, second to the Accord.

girlRACER
02-21-2003, 11:26 AM
Is it supposed to be a replacement for the 626?

HRD2PLZ
02-21-2003, 11:35 AM
Is it supposed to be a replacement for the 626?

Yes. But its also going to give much stiffer competition to rival family cars than the 626 did :thumbsup:

CRXguy
02-21-2003, 12:01 PM
I get to go to the "unveiling" of the Mazda 6 next week. Wine and cheese!!! woo woo. :rofl:

szw
02-21-2003, 12:26 PM
Doesn't ford own a big chunk of a lot of companies?

I thought they owned a part of Subaru too right? (not sure)

Weapon_R
02-21-2003, 12:40 PM
Ford does own a lot of cars, but it also designs and engineers a lot of these car parts too. Think about it - why would Ford want to keep everything separate when it can save money by using the same crappy designs for every car. That's one reason that Jaguar has gone downhill in the past couple of years.

I think GM owns subaru.

szw
02-21-2003, 12:47 PM
hehe...speaking of...I raced an Accord Coupe V6 the other day. I managed to pull ahead in the beginning but it caught up pretty fast and then we were pretty much neck and neck. I think it was an auto cuz if it was manual it would've schooled me. But yah...it reminds of a CLK!

If it was an older accord, it was manual Not sure if manual versions of the v6 are available in the new bodystyle.

CRXguy
02-21-2003, 12:57 PM
I think the Accord V6(new one) will get a 6spd stick soon, or it might even be available right now.

Glowrider
02-21-2003, 01:17 PM
I think the Accord V6(new one) will get a 6spd stick soon, or it might even be available right now.

We already have the new Accords with the 240 hp V6 and the 6 speed box, here in the States. Pulls mid 14's down the strip...not bad.

dj_honda
02-21-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by HRD2PLZ
The Mazda 6 GT-V6 I looked at didn't have altezza's :dunno: It was a nice car IMO, but I'm, having second thoughts about buying one. Never really been a Mazda person and their relation to Ford seriously concerns me (every ford I had was problematic).

neither did the one i saw....the taillights were mostly red???
i just said that i need to get used to the back end thats all...not that it had altezzas...
as far as mazda's quality...i think that they are pretty good. I mean, I am sure that they know about Ford's reputation and work hard to keep mazda out of that reputation.

Also, i am not sure, but isn't mazda one of the only japanese company's that actually still makes their cars in japan? You always hear about the toyota and honda plants in N/A but I don't remember anything abuot the mazda car making plants in N/A???
I could be wrong.....:dunno:

girlRACER
02-21-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by szw

If it was an older accord, it was manual Not sure if manual versions of the v6 are available in the new bodystyle.

It was a 2003.

Glowrider
02-21-2003, 03:55 PM
Like I said before, we already have the new Accord with the V6 and a 6-speed here in the US. Seeing one in Canada wouldn't surprise me.

Stratus_Power
02-21-2003, 04:04 PM
its coming for sure.. they just havent announce the release date yet.. i dont think...

RiceCake
02-21-2003, 08:01 PM
The mazda 6 is made in the states. All the other products are still manufactured in japan. I took both the I4 and the V6 mazda 6 out for a spin, and it was pretty nice. I like the looks over the Accord, Camry, and Altima. As for everyone saying its got the altezzas, look at the Altima.

Its quite a nice car and the costs are surprisingly competitive. Even the base model comes standard with ABS and traction control.

I like it. :)