PDA

View Full Version : Drive from Spokane to Calgary

sansp
11-14-2005, 08:23 AM
Hi All,

I plan to drive from Spokane to Calgary. Any recommendations to how is the drive, and how many hours would it take. Is it thru snow mountains (like Calgary to Vancouver), or is it thru flat plains (like Calgary to Edmonton). How bad can the snow get during Dec/Jan/Feb months. Do any shuttles which commute between Spokane and Calgary. Your opinion is appreciated. Thnks.

A_3
11-14-2005, 09:40 AM
Don't know much about the drive, I do know it takes about 8 hours though. I have a buddy who frequently makes the drive.

Xtrema
11-14-2005, 09:44 AM
Expedia has it for 8 hrs and I just did that run 2 months ago and prove that is the case.

The problem is there isn't any big highways between the 2 cities. Most road you'll travel thru would be 2 lanes (1 each way) highways with not much of a shoulders. You'll travel thru quite a few communities with slower speed.

It isn't that steep but you do have to travel thru a bit of mountain terrains with in the Canadian side.

It's a really boring drive.

BokCh0y
11-14-2005, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

That is an understatement.

sansp
11-14-2005, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Expedia has it for 8 hrs and I just did that run 2 months ago and prove that is the case.

The problem is there isn't any big highways between the 2 cities. Most road you'll travel thru would be 2 lanes (1 each way) highways with not much of a shoulders. You'll travel thru quite a few communities with slower speed.

It isn't that steep but you do have to travel thru a bit of mountain terrains with in the Canadian side.

Xtrema, that was helpful. Is the route used a lot, was there traffic, or more like a empty roads all the time.
I drove once to CutBank, MT from Calgary.....was pretty much the only person driving all the way.

Would these roads pretty bad in Winter. I guess, usually unused roads would be the last which would be plowed in winter.