PDA

View Full Version : Going to Vietnam:

gonefishing
11-14-2005, 12:35 PM
hey guys,

was planning on going to Vietnam in mid-January and stay to after the Chinese New Year. i will be staying in Saigon mostly but heard that Nha Trang is really nice and not too far away. Its been 25 years since i came to Canada so i don't remember anything about it plus it has changed alot since 1980. Has anyone on beyond been back lately and have any advise on where to go or not to go to have fun.

motoki88
11-14-2005, 06:03 PM
Nha Trang is beautiful and has lots of things to do. For example, renting a boat and going swimming in the ocean. You can also bring your boat to a little "dock" in the middle of the waters and they have fresh seafood that you can choose. Bring the seafood back to the restaurant and have them cook it for you. Also, there's this island called "Monkey Island" I believe where monkeys are roaming around and you can feed them. For the night time, you can go walk along the beach or you can go clubbing. Lots of tourists there so its pretty fun and after clubbing, you can go grab some coffee with friends. As for Saigon, there's clubbing as well. If you're a girl (or a guy that likes shopping) you can cruise some malls or some Cho (sp? ->markets) and find lots of things like Nike, Puma shoes, lacoste etc.
How long do you plan on staying for? I went for my first time two years ago and I had fun. I had to get used to staying deep down south (Think Soc Trang, Bac Lieu, Ca Mau) and it was very ghetto. No toilets at my grandparents place, only a hole in the ground with porcelain rim that you bend over. LOL.

jus_sum_guy
11-14-2005, 06:39 PM
Been back for the last 3 years.

Some places to check out......

Cu Chi - Tunnel System the Viet Cong used during the war. You can go into them and explore.

Nha Trang - Nothing beats the white sand beaches here.

Mekong Delta - Take a boat ride down this scenic river.

Hanoi - Completely different from Saigon. Worth checking out if you have the time

Sapa - You HAVE to go here if it's possible. Set among the highest mountains of Vietnam, the view/scenery is amazing. It's up north near Hanoi.

Halong Bay - Great swimming waters, scenery and seafood.

Clubs in Saigon worth going to. I might have left out 2 or 3, but what's not listed here, don't go to lol....

Volcano
Blue
Envy
Catwalk
Gossip
Metropolis
Q Bar

Others things to do in Saigon...

Diamond Plaza, Ben Thanh Market, Saigon Square Shopping Centre, Zen.
^^^^ Above places for shopping

There's sooooo much more, but i can't think of any right now. Wanna know anything else just ask

vietdood
11-14-2005, 11:35 PM
if it gets too hot, hang out in da lat up in the mountains, usualy 18-mid 20 degrees up there and everyone wears winter jackets

gonefishing
11-15-2005, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by motoki88
How long do you plan on staying for?

You guys seem to have alot of experience in Vietnam and everyone tells me it will be the best vacation of my life. My company is only allowing me 4 weeks but i'm trying to get a extra week becuase i wanna see as much as i can. i was also planning to go to thailand for weekend as well.

i will be going with a few friends who've been back before but we plan to go visit our families for like a week or so. thats why i wanted to get some ideas when i'm not with them. My buddies have been showing me a few of those vietnamese websites and damn are those girls hot. :drool: :drool: :drool:

vietdood
11-15-2005, 01:02 AM
vietnam is a great destination to go for a vacation. your first few days to a week will be hell as you need to adjust to the environment. when you go, don't bring alot of your clothes with you because it will turn yellow if you do your laundry there. just bring some nice clothes to wear when you go clubbing and for the rest of the time, buy clothes there as it's dirt cheap.

stevieo
11-15-2005, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by vietdood
vietnam is a great destination to go for a vacation. your first few days to a week will be hell as you need to adjust to the environment. when you go, don't bring alot of your clothes with you because it will turn yellow if you do your laundry there. just bring some nice clothes to wear when you go clubbing and for the rest of the time, buy clothes there as it's dirt cheap.

ya dude, don't bring much. I brought a carry on with clothes from here - 2 pairs of pants 2 t-shirts 1 thin sweater 3 muscle shirts 4 pair of shorts and that was it (along with my underwear haha) and i brought back 2 boxes with me on the way back here, got some nice clothes for dirt cheap.

i opted to not go clubbign though, i have a nice temper, and i don't want to go to clubs to have it flare out. I know how us nammer guys have fucking uncontrolable temper tantrums haha.

but it was awesome when i went to the ocean and went swimming, got sunburnt it hurt...but it was fun.
I also went back when the "SEA" (south east asia) games were going on.

eating there was awesome too. if you have a weak stomach, youre gonna be shitting bricks for a long tim ehaha. its cause things aren't as 'clean' as they are suppose to be due to the shitty water filtration they have compared to ours. and its REALLY dusty over there. can't beat authentic food full of MSG for 50 cents.

abyss
11-15-2005, 12:06 PM
Me and Hampstor just got back in August after three weeks. It was my first time there and yeah, I figured out pretty quick you can't be picky about food. We didn't go clubbing or anything and we spent most of our time right around Long Xuyen so I couldn't tell you too much about what to do for fun, but mountains were beautiful and there was so much history I got to experience. Bathrooms suck. plain and simple, I would almost rather pee in the bushes than use some of the bathrooms I saw there.

gonefishing
11-23-2005, 09:17 AM
i just filed my passport application form yesterday and will be booking my ticket this weekend. Can't wait to see Asia for the first time.

motoki88
11-23-2005, 06:34 PM
Which route you plan on taking? Hong Kong, Japan...?

eb0i
11-23-2005, 08:31 PM
With the avian flu down in Vietnam there will a person travelling back from Vietnam be quarantined when the get to Canada? I'm asking cuz my Dad is going back this December and he wants to know if that might happen on the way back.

motoki88
11-23-2005, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by eb0i
With the avian flu down in Vietnam there will a person travelling back from Vietnam be quarantined when the get to Canada? I'm asking cuz my Dad is going back this December and he wants to know if that might happen on the way back.
That's a good question. When I went back, it was during the SARS scare. I didn't get quarantined or anything, and they asked me before allowing me back in if I feel sick or anything. They also had infrared cameras to detect if I was warmer than normal. It was just pointed at the corridor so they can examine everyone getting off the plane.

stevieo
11-23-2005, 10:32 PM

That's a good question. When I went back, it was during the SARS scare. I didn't get quarantined or anything, and they asked me before allowing me back in if I feel sick or anything. They also had infrared cameras to detect if I was warmer than normal. It was just pointed at the corridor so they can examine everyone getting off the plane.

yep same thing for me, i was down there when sars was out.
i was okay, didn't have any symptons or was sick in anyway.

and have fun on your trip man, you will want to go back to vietnam again real soon!

gonefishing
11-25-2005, 01:33 PM
Which route you plan on taking? Hong Kong, Japan...?

I will be going the Calgary/Vancouver/Hong Kong/Saigon route there and the Saigon/Osaka/Vancouver/Calgary on the way back.

do you guys have any suggestions on airlines , i've been hearing Cathay Pacific is the way to go.

jus_sum_guy
11-25-2005, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by gonefishing

I will be going the Calgary/Vancouver/Hong Kong/Saigon route there and the Saigon/Osaka/Vancouver/Calgary on the way back.

do you guys have any suggestions on airlines , i've been hearing Cathay Pacific is the way to go.

I've taken both Singapore Airlines and Cathay Pacific to Vietnam. Both was GREAT!.

But I preferred Singapore.

Better food and seats were more comfortable

motoki88
11-25-2005, 07:05 PM
I took Japan Airlines and it was alright. It was pretty much my first plane trip that I can remember so I don't really have much to compare with.

gonefishing
11-28-2005, 11:00 AM
booked my ticket yesterday thought i was going to have to fly there by myself but turns out 5 of my friends changed their schedules and will be on the same flight. i will be going the Calgary/Vancouver/Hong Kong/Saigon way there and the same stops on the way back. i wanted to go thru Japan on the way back but there wasn't anything available. We went with Cathay Pacific airlines. The travel agency told me that flights from Jan15 on are all wait list only so if anyone is planning on going i would book now.

motoki88
11-28-2005, 06:28 PM
Sounds excellent. When I went, I was with four friends and we had a blast. It was our first time in Japan, and nobody knew Japanese or how to get around so we had a fun time exploring. As for Vietnam, they all spoke Vietnamese except for me. I had a fun time learning though. Man I wish I could go now. LOL.

gonefishing
12-13-2005, 12:28 PM
for you guys who have been to Vietnam recently. what sort of gifts are best to bring back to people in Vietnam? i heard stuff like M&M chocolates and shampoos are greatly appreciated over there becuase it so expensive to buy these things for the common people.

motoki88
12-13-2005, 12:31 PM
I brought canned abalone for my grandparents.

FiveFreshFish
12-13-2005, 12:33 PM
Ice wine is appreciated because it's so expensive in SE Asia.

gonefishing
12-13-2005, 12:57 PM
i was gonna bring back a couple of bottles of Johnny Walker for my Uncles and some Henessy XO for myself becuase i heard Henessy is commonly watered down over there. ( buy one get one lol ).

Ben
12-13-2005, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by jus_sum_guy
Been back for the last 3 years.

Some places to check out......

Cu Chi - Tunnel System the Viet Cong used during the war. You can go into them and explore.

Nha Trang - Nothing beats the white sand beaches here.

Mekong Delta - Take a boat ride down this scenic river.

Hanoi - Completely different from Saigon. Worth checking out if you have the time

Sapa - You HAVE to go here if it's possible. Set among the highest mountains of Vietnam, the view/scenery is amazing. It's up north near Hanoi.

Halong Bay - Great swimming waters, scenery and seafood.

Clubs in Saigon worth going to. I might have left out 2 or 3, but what's not listed here, don't go to lol....

Volcano
Blue
Envy
Catwalk
Gossip
Metropolis
Q Bar

Others things to do in Saigon...

Diamond Plaza, Ben Thanh Market, Saigon Square Shopping Centre, Zen.
^^^^ Above places for shopping

There's sooooo much more, but i can't think of any right now. Wanna know anything else just ask

Damn, you know all the hot spots, must be why you're my homie when it comes to going for a quality bowl of Pho @ your Restaurant, haha. =P You guys know what you're doing.

Mmmmmmm...pho....:drool: :drool:

jus_sum_guy
12-13-2005, 03:48 PM
Speaking of my restaurant....Haven't seen you there in a while :guns:

jus_sum_guy
12-13-2005, 03:51 PM
i was gonna bring back a couple of bottles of Johnny Walker for my Uncles and some Henessy XO for myself becuase i heard Henessy is commonly watered down over there. ( buy one get one lol ).

If you go to the clubs, that's all you'll see people drinking. By the bottle!!! and cheap too :thumbsup:

Edit: I'm talking about Henessy btw

Ben
12-13-2005, 03:56 PM

haha, not working nearby anymore :(

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

gonefishing
12-14-2005, 11:24 AM

which restaurant is yours ?

jus_sum_guy
12-14-2005, 01:07 PM

which restaurant is yours ?

Pho Hoai

gonefishing
12-14-2005, 04:22 PM
the old vietnamese village on 17th ave s.e

That.Guy.S30
12-14-2005, 04:38 PM
^ no thats pho hoa (a franchise from the states)

jus_sum_guy is pho haoi, which is in chinatown. in the strip mall. i keep on forgetting what that mall is called.

edit: vietnam is the shit!! lol. just remember most important thing. DO NOT GIVE ANYONE MONEY. like i mean little kids, beggers, etc. it may sound mean, but once you do they swarm like sharks.

things to bring. TP, cuz thiers is like a sandpaper ahahhaah

joejoe3
12-14-2005, 04:41 PM
agreed, last time i gave john money and it was game over. :D

That.Guy.S30
12-14-2005, 04:44 PM
^^ ahhaah

stevieo
12-14-2005, 04:56 PM
yeah NEVER GIVE MONEY TO ANYONE

like i feel bad for them and all but once you give them like say a dollar or some shit everyone just hangs around/follows you and pisses you off till they get sick of you which is probably never or until you give them money too. don't buy those lotto tickets either.

even though were from here, i learned to bust out some nammer styles like my mom and bartered like an ass hahaha

SoSlowDx
12-14-2005, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by joejoe3
agreed, last time i gave john money and it was game over. :D

fuck you you ain't vietnamese get the fuck out chinaman:rofl:

dyummy
12-14-2005, 11:17 PM
I've gone to vietnam twice and both times its been a complete nightmare, partly due to the I didn't really go anywhere and were were in some village in central south vietnam, just way to hot for me i could barely stand it. we were staying with family and really the arguing over money really stresses me out everything seems to involve money, there are so many beggars and it was quite dirty there (not a surprise for a smaller village though). but the best thing was the food, just plain amazing I love eatting there, as well as some of the shopping was somewhat decent, I remember ordering some shoes and teh lady ordered the wrong ones so i didn't buy them. bring mosiquto repelent.

stevieo
12-15-2005, 10:02 AM
i don' thtink mosiquto repelent is worth it, i could have sworn i had more bites WITH it on than without it.

it is hot though haha, being from calgary its a really diffrent type of atomosphere, never felt that sorta heat in my life bahaha.

That.Guy.S30
12-15-2005, 12:17 PM
^^ depends when you and where you go. ahah when i went the weather was all fucked up. but then again i went everywhere in nam. ya, dont bother bringin misquito repellant, just get some shots for yellow fever or somethin hahahaha.

bring sunscreen. spf like 50. and bring pepto, just in case you have a weak stomache.

abyss
12-15-2005, 12:28 PM
I only got bit by mosquitos a total of three times in the 3 weeks we were there. Poor Minh and his family got absolutely attacked. I wanted to bring some toilet paper home with me, it looks and feels exactly like crepe paper birthday streamers! They even had red coloured rolls!

gonefishing
12-19-2005, 04:15 PM
i am suppose to go to the doctors tommorow to get a check up and was gonna get my shots done too. which shots will i be needing and do they cost $ or is it covered under AHC?

That.Guy.S30
12-19-2005, 04:23 PM
none are covered by Alberta health. i think the most important ones are your hepatitis shots. i dont remember which ones i got, but i had to pay like 50-70 for the shot.

and you can get pills for yellowfever and shit too. ask your doctor cuz he will know what you need and dont need.

gonefishing
01-02-2006, 10:01 AM
only 4 more sleeps and i'm on my way :clap:

hampstor
01-04-2006, 10:48 PM
only 4 more sleeps and i'm on my way :clap:

I love the sign at the immigration line that says tells you what documents you need.

The last line says something like... "no extra documents" aka money :rofl:

civicrider
01-05-2006, 10:39 AM
im going over there in april for a month, let me know how it goes

gonefishing
01-05-2006, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by hampstor

I love the sign at the immigration line that says tells you what documents you need.

The last line says something like... "no extra documents" aka money :rofl:

No sleep for me tonite i want to be able sleep as much as possible on the plane.

i already have my Abe Lincolns ready :rofl:

vincent-h
01-05-2006, 05:34 PM
As some advice when buying off people make it subtle and don't make it seem like u think their dirt for doign what they do.

Also a good time to bribe them would be when it seems like their hinting at it. sometimes if u act like ur the king they'll pull u to the back and then its gonna be hell at the airport.

skandalz
01-05-2006, 05:41 PM
rumor has it strippers who don't know better take canadian tire money.... rumor has it ;)

motoki88
01-05-2006, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by skandalz
rumor has it strippers who don't know better take canadian tire money.... rumor has it ;)

LOL that would be hilarious. But I would never try that on them. You gotta remember that these people don't make much and I'd feel really sorry for them.

One thing I did while going through that lineup to check into vietnam was slip a five dollar bill into my passport so it is subtle. Got through the lineup really quickly that way. They won't do that to the white tourists though because Vietnam wants more of those tourists to come into Vietnam. Just a little tidbit of information. Have fun in Vietnam and I hope you make a lot of good memories over there.

stevieo
01-05-2006, 09:41 PM

One thing I did while going through that lineup to check into vietnam was slip a five dollar bill into my passport so it is subtle. Got through the lineup really quickly that way. They won't do that to the white tourists though because Vietnam wants more of those tourists to come into Vietnam. Just a little tidbit of information. Have fun in Vietnam and I hope you make a lot of good memories over there.

haha thats what my mom did, slipped a 20 in the passport for our family.

started off by "wow alot of people this is gonna take a while, might have to check all your baggage and shit" my mom handed them the passports

"gogooggo!"
and we were out the door in seconds haha

gonefishing
02-06-2006, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by civicrider
im going over there in april for a month, let me know how it goes

Just got back and it was amazing. Spent most of my time in Saigon though with a few nights in Vung Tau and Nha Trang. If you haven't been there then i would highly suggest it. The club scene is full of girls in pretty much every club. Just pop the Henny or Remy and they come in bunches.

It was a little too hot for me though , spent most of my days at coffee shops or hairwashing places. Although our money is worth alot you can blow it fast. The service you recieve is great and overall the people are friendly. i will definately be back next year :thumbsup:

motoki88
02-06-2006, 06:27 PM
Hey glad to hear you had a good time. I'm planning on taking a detour to Vietnam when I head to Australia this summer. Gonna try and bring back a whole bunch of toys for the orphans there.
Just curious but what was the exchange rate that you got while there?
Sounds like you did the same thing I did while I was there. Hairwashing places, coffee, walking around malls and Nha Trang.

gonefishing
02-07-2006, 09:44 AM
Hey glad to hear you had a good time. I'm planning on taking a detour to Vietnam when I head to Australia this summer. Gonna try and bring back a whole bunch of toys for the orphans there.
Just curious but what was the exchange rate that you got while there?
Sounds like you did the same thing I did while I was there. Hairwashing places, coffee, walking around malls and Nha Trang.

I went to the "Le Duyen" chain of hairwash places they have 3 stores i recomend store #3. and the exchange rate when i was there is:

Canada - 1.358 to 1.37 mill
USA - 1.57 to 1.60 mill
Aussie - 1.08 to 1.12 mill