PDA

View Full Version : Best Mexican Restaurants

phreezee
11-14-2005, 01:35 PM
I drove by one on 10th and Memorial iirc, just wanted to see if anyone had reviews on the place or any other recommendations.

The only real mexican places I've been to before have been Paridiso's in the North Dakota and they kick major ass. http://www.paradiso.com/chipsfree/html/main.html
I'm trying to find something comparable.

lastprodigy
11-14-2005, 01:41 PM
Only one I have ever heard is Salt & Pepper on McLeod somewhere between chinook and 42ave.

Def_3
11-14-2005, 01:49 PM
El Sombrero on 17th!

Mixed reviews, I have been there and it was amazing, live music, great service, and excellent food

a few times however, went there and I felt like I was a pain for coming in and ordering.......

YCB
11-14-2005, 01:50 PM
I worked at Chico Tecate Grill for a while.. pretty good there.. "FRESHNESS" is the main thing there... beside papa johns and subway near futureshop and cinplex.. in the hood.. (NE)..

Weapon_R
11-14-2005, 02:16 PM
Chico Tecate is one place i'd stay away from. I didn't like it much when I went there, and the setup is kind of weird (cafeteria style)

l8braker
11-14-2005, 02:16 PM
Lastprodigy called it! Salt & Pepper all the way, no comparison. I'm a Mexican food freak! You actually feel like you're in restaurant in a Mexican town. Prices are kind of high, but you will not find a better meal. We always get the platter of everything for around $50.00.

I was gonna write up a little review last time, but after a few Dos beers and enchilata's, I was busy somewhere else. :D

andres_mt
11-14-2005, 02:38 PM
Julio's Barrio is pretty damn good and authentic, plus my friend works there, ask for Nat:thumbsup:

jdmakkord
11-14-2005, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by andres_mt
Julio's Barrio is pretty damn good and authentic, plus my friend works there, ask for Nat:thumbsup:

Fuck no, Julio's Barrio is one of the worst, and most overpriced places in town. I can justify paying good money for good food. Not for glamorized taco bell!!!! The service sucked, they charge for nacho chips and salsa when most mexi places give them for free, and the food plain tasted like crap. Of the three meals ordered, not a single person was happy, and I am not picky when it comes to food.

RickDaTuner
11-14-2005, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Def_3
El Sombrero on 17th!

Mixed reviews, I have been there and it was amazing, live music, great service, and excellent food

a few times however, went there and I felt like I was a pain for coming in and ordering.......

:werd: take it from a spanish person, this place is pretty damn good, as for the service, yeah they can be like that some times, but its only because lots of drama happens between the employes..

salt and pepper is a franchise restaurant, last time i went was at the one on bow trail and it wasnt all that great..

and truthfully all these places are Tex Mex, i doubt most of you would eat real authentic mexican food:zzz:

JordanEG6
11-14-2005, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner

i doubt most of you would eat real authentic mexican food :zzz:

what IS REAL mexican food?

btw, i didnt know we had that many 'mexican' restaurants other than taco bell and taco time until now. HAHAHA

dericer
11-14-2005, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Chico Tecate is one place i'd stay away from. I didn't like it much when I went there, and the setup is kind of weird (cafeteria style)

My buddy lived in rural Mexico off and on for years, and he said that Chico Tecate is the most authentic Mexican resteraunt he's been to in Calgary

I agree though, that the setup is odd.

nambis
11-14-2005, 05:36 PM
i'm from the states where mexican food is a major componenty of our diet. I've also been to mexico several times, and I can tell you that many mexican restaurants in the US cities are fairly authentic. Tex-mex (which I rarely ate) resutarants are different and most people can tell the difference.

Honestly, your best option is to drive to the nearest US city (yes, even great falls has a population of mexican immigrants who have started a local mexican scene).

I moved to calgary about 4 years ago, and it was tough at first because there really isn't any mexican food here. I am still not satisfied with the mexican here (we really specialize in asian food here), but I will give you my thoughts on the options here:

1) Salt & Pepper. one on 16th ave east of Peter's drive in, and one on mcleod just north of chinook. The food is OK and faily 'authectic', but the portions are extremely small and overpriced. my 100 lb friend is still hungry after eating an entree, so you expect to pay near $20 and still leave hungry. This upsets me because mexican food is very cheap to prepare. The food is not the best or most authentic I've ever had, but is one of the more authentic you'll find in calgary.

2) Boca Loca, one near 17th ave (like 8th st?) and also one on northmount and 14th NW. not acutally a restaurant but a grocery and deli, but you can pick up fresh guac, salsas, mole, tamales (wrapped in corn husks just like home!), burritos, ceviche (mmmm... fish cooked in lime juice, not heat.), etc. food is really good and reasonably priced. also offers cooking classes. good place to get imported mexican gorceries, candy, sodas (yay jarritos), etc.

3) El Sombrero on 17th ave. I've never actually tried this place but I've always wanted to. I've heard both good and bad reviews. was voted best mexican in calgary by fast forward (2004), but I think it just got the most votes cause it's on 17th and is more recognized by people who would vote in FFWD. would love to hear people's opinions, especially if you've been to mexico or mexican areas of US before.

4) Julio's Barrio. This place is a joke. It's NOT tex-mex, I'm not exactly sure what it is. Most like a canadian interpretation of Taco Bell or Taco Time. They have a penne pasta dish listed under their 'classico' section of menu - Pasta is NOT a part of traditional/authentic mexican, although i'm sure people there do eat some pasts nowadays (but it would be considered american or italian etc.). they also have what they call 'chile' (spelled like the south american country, not the US food chili), apparently they don't realize this is a US food not mexican. Anyhow, I'm sure the food is good, but it's NOT mexican. The only reason this place has managed to stay open is becuase there are no mexican immigrants in calgary and people here don't know that this isn't really mexican food.

5) Tio's on 14th street north of 17th ave. small and unassuming, serving OK food. I was here one time, but it's not that great and I haven't been back since. My boyfriend at the time didn't care much for it, but he's from the north woods so what does he know

6) there is also a place called las mariachi's on mcleod south of glenmore, which i haven't been to but intend to one day. people are actaully from Mexico so it *should* be fairly authentic, but i haven't heard any reviews/opinions.

GOOD LUCK :thumbsup:

2000_SI
11-14-2005, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by nambis

6) there is also a place called las mariachi's on mcleod south of glenmore, which i haven't been to but intend to one day. people are actaully from Mexico so it *should* be fairly authentic, but i haven't heard any reviews/opinions.

Las Mariachi's isnt that great. Ive gone there a few times, and the service sucks, the rice is extremly bland, and i didnt find the flavor profile of the food very exciting... overall very bland...

nambis
11-14-2005, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by phreezee
I drove by one on 10th and Memorial iirc, just wanted to see if anyone had reviews on the place or any other recommendations.

The only real mexican places I've been to before have been Paridiso's in the North Dakota and they kick major ass. http://www.paradiso.com/chipsfree/html/main.html
I'm trying to find something comparable.

By the way, just looked at the menu, and the place you've been to isn't mexican, it's Tex-Mex. if you like that you should check out Julio's Barrio. but really, salt n pepa is much better and more authentic :thumbsup:

l8braker
11-14-2005, 05:46 PM
El Sombrero was alright, but can't compare to S&P. Service was great, and the food was sub-par.

I read FFWD, but take their survey with a grain of salt :zzz:

badseed
11-14-2005, 05:55 PM
Salt & Peppper - Bowness = :bigpimp:
El Sombrero - 17th = Hit and miss

Nothing compares to the Mexican food stands in LA, best I've ever had in my life.

nambis
11-14-2005, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by badseed
Salt & Peppper - Bowness = :bigpimp:
El Sombrero - 17th = Hit and miss

Nothing compares to the Mexican food stands in LA, best I've ever had in my life.

TOTALLY! there is a place there called midnight taco, which is open really all night (prrrfect after bar). They have lots of stuff, but my fav was the carnitas (shredded BBQ pork) burrito for $2. They are huge and you're lucky to finish one. also have huge vats of various salsas which probablly give u cholera or dysentary but are tasty as hell!

it's amazing how mexican culture is merging into US, u can even get carnitas subs at subway there!

Orbie
11-14-2005, 06:32 PM
During my frequent travels to Texas, I've learned what makes good TexMex....Queso!! (not talking about those crappy pre-made dips you get at the store). Who knew simple Rotel and Velveeta could be soo damn good! And 99% of places give it to you for free with your chips, you have a hard time even getting the chips for free here. If it's one thing they know how to do right down there, it's eat!

DJ Lazy
11-15-2005, 02:10 AM
Only been to El Sombrero once.. and it was awesome.. great food, great service, and awesome atmosphere... I'll have to try out Salt & Pepper...

clem24
11-18-2005, 01:20 AM
El Sombrero is good. S&P, well, the one on McLeod sucked last time I went. There was only me and my wife there plus another couple and the service and food sucked.

There's also a place called Senor Carlos down all the way in Shawnessy (kinda by the Chapters). That place is pretty good but so FAR AWAY!!! All these places don't seem to match any of the US places though. That's where you get good Mexican!

There's also another place beside the Scotia Centre on Stephen Ave. You go downstairs. I only checked out their menu once but didn't go in. Anyone been there?

Also, one time in Canmore, my wife was leafing thru a pamphlet of the various eateries and she noted one place that was Mexican and had some dish that was only offered by Chi Chi's (whatever happened to them?!?!). Anyway, we went back to Canmore to investigate but to no avail! We asked around and no one knows any Mex place there. There's a sorta Mex place listed in Dead Man's flats. Anyone have more info?!?

Anyone know of a good Mex place in Edmonton? I am planning on going up this weekend!!

modded46
11-18-2005, 02:07 AM
i'm from the states where mexican food is a major componenty of our diet. I've also been to mexico several times, and I can tell you that many mexican restaurants in the US cities are fairly authentic. Tex-mex (which I rarely ate) resutarants are different and most people can tell the difference.

Honestly, your best option is to drive to the nearest US city (yes, even great falls has a population of mexican immigrants who have started a local mexican scene).

I moved to calgary about 4 years ago, and it was tough at first because there really isn't any mexican food here. I am still not satisfied with the mexican here (we really specialize in asian food here), but I will give you my thoughts on the options here:

1) Salt & Pepper. one on 16th ave east of Peter's drive in, and one on mcleod just north of chinook. The food is OK and faily 'authectic', but the portions are extremely small and overpriced. my 100 lb friend is still hungry after eating an entree, so you expect to pay near $20 and still leave hungry. This upsets me because mexican food is very cheap to prepare. The food is not the best or most authentic I've ever had, but is one of the more authentic you'll find in calgary.

2) Boca Loca, one near 17th ave (like 8th st?) and also one on northmount and 14th NW. not acutally a restaurant but a grocery and deli, but you can pick up fresh guac, salsas, mole, tamales (wrapped in corn husks just like home!), burritos, ceviche (mmmm... fish cooked in lime juice, not heat.), etc. food is really good and reasonably priced. also offers cooking classes. good place to get imported mexican gorceries, candy, sodas (yay jarritos), etc.

3) El Sombrero on 17th ave. I've never actually tried this place but I've always wanted to. I've heard both good and bad reviews. was voted best mexican in calgary by fast forward (2004), but I think it just got the most votes cause it's on 17th and is more recognized by people who would vote in FFWD. would love to hear people's opinions, especially if you've been to mexico or mexican areas of US before.

4) Julio's Barrio. This place is a joke. It's NOT tex-mex, I'm not exactly sure what it is. Most like a canadian interpretation of Taco Bell or Taco Time. They have a penne pasta dish listed under their 'classico' section of menu - Pasta is NOT a part of traditional/authentic mexican, although i'm sure people there do eat some pasts nowadays (but it would be considered american or italian etc.). they also have what they call 'chile' (spelled like the south american country, not the US food chili), apparently they don't realize this is a US food not mexican. Anyhow, I'm sure the food is good, but it's NOT mexican. The only reason this place has managed to stay open is becuase there are no mexican immigrants in calgary and people here don't know that this isn't really mexican food.

5) Tio's on 14th street north of 17th ave. small and unassuming, serving OK food. I was here one time, but it's not that great and I haven't been back since. My boyfriend at the time didn't care much for it, but he's from the north woods so what does he know

I'll second most of this 100%, Mexican food at least in Calgary is garbage compared to what it's like in the states.. For some reason Seattle & Detroit of all place have had the best Mexican food i've ever been to unless you go deep southwest.

I will disagree about the Julio's Barrio, I llike that place and from the "authentic" Mexican i've been to in the states it's similiar although not exactly what you get there. You can't expect to get exactly the same food here cause we just don't have the same supply for it.

Anyway, Mexican in Calgary booo.. Greek & Italian however, very good! And how about those prarie oasters? :P

modded46
11-18-2005, 02:08 AM
that Senor Carlos place is gone, I went down there a month or so ago and they changed to something totally different now. :( That place was good too.

7thgenvic
11-18-2005, 02:09 AM
taco bell?

lastprodigy
11-18-2005, 04:26 AM
'

Originally posted by modded46
that Senor Carlos place is gone, I went down there a month or so ago and they changed to something totally different now. :( That place was good too.

"Phenix Grill"

clem24
11-18-2005, 11:19 AM
What the heck is Phenix Grill?? :dunno: Where do you guys get Mexican in the states? I've really only been to Azteca in Spokane and Seattle. Both are pretty good. Mmmm.. Mexican.. They've got this awesome corn chowder thing... :drool:

01RedDX
08-06-2006, 08:09 PM

szw
08-07-2006, 02:53 AM
I just discovered Tecate Grill. Location sucks and restaurant isn't nice (fine for casual IMO). Too bad becaues the food is quite fresh and much better than the other mexican places in the city. Food is tasty and comes out piping hot. I like the 'salsa bar' too, the available salsas are quite good.

El Sombrero is a much nicer restaurant but the food isn't as good as Tecate Gril.

Julio Barrio, I would never go there again. No more need to comment.

awd
08-07-2006, 10:51 AM
Las Palmeras in Red Deer is better than any mexican I have tried in Calgary or Edmonton.

blueToy
08-07-2006, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by awd
Las Palmeras in Red Deer is better than any mexican I have tried in Calgary or Edmonton.

Here , Here !!!

Las Palmeras puts all others combined to shame . Well worth saving up for a wonderful experience and taking the 1.5 hour drive up north to sample their wonderfully authentic and tastey food . IMHO , the best Mexican in Alberta period .

silbergrau330
08-07-2006, 09:29 PM
Some place in Bowness, right across the street from Bow Cycle. Was good!

HybridTheory
08-09-2006, 08:27 PM
I tried Tecate today after seeing this thread and its great. It's kind of weird how its cafeteria style but I have no complaints about the food. Everything came out really fresh. And the salsa bar is awesome.

DowntownCowboy
08-10-2006, 10:29 AM
I tried the place in Bowness 2 Monday's ago for their cheap marguerita pitchers. They were understaffed, the waitress talked the right words but everything was so slow. The drinks were strong enough but disappointing (like coolers or soju), and the portions were tiny. I've never had a smaller nacho plate.

Mexican food is far better in the States, and cheaper. I can't understand how places like Julio's and Juan's can charge $14 for a burrito or chimichanga plate that doesn't even fill you up and is full of cheap beans and flour and ground meat. Then again I can't understand how Calgary restaurants get away with such poor quality in general (I just got back from Vancouver so thats why I'm hating, $10 goes a long way there).

BigMass
08-20-2006, 03:48 PM
$2 mexican food from a street corner stand in California is better than anything you can get in a $30/plate restaurant up here.

The inverse is true about Chinese food though. In California, eating Chinese is a big deal, while up here its our equivalent of "mexican food", found everywhere you look.

HuMz
08-20-2006, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by modded46

It's been closed for at least a year maybe 2, I used to work at senor carlos tho and it was very overpriced for what you get, not very authentic either.

pinoyhero
08-20-2006, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by blueToy

Here , Here !!!

Las Palmeras puts all others combined to shame . Well worth saving up for a wonderful experience and taking the 1.5 hour drive up north to sample their wonderfully authentic and tastey food . IMHO , the best Mexican in Alberta period .

Really...I'm gonna try this on the long weekend...

SuPhistiKatEd
08-25-2006, 12:09 AM
If you're ever in the area, Bandoleer's in Dead Mans Flats, just outside of Canmore. Great food!

pinoyhero
08-26-2006, 01:30 PM
^hmm that doesn't seem to far away either. I tried a place in bragg creek recenlty, dont remeber the name but it was in a kind of 2 story houise set up, found the food only OK but the service and ambiance was nice.

h0tm1x
09-07-2006, 05:00 PM
Lets see, i dunno about authenticity but i've been to Tecate, Julio's Barrio and El Sombrero and I found all 3 to be very good. There's also Santa Fe Grill on Macleod Trail that has " Tex-Mex" food and it is also excellent.

clem24
09-14-2006, 11:04 AM
Stay FAR away from Santa Fe on Macleod. Ordered a Fajita there, and the wraps had the WORST smell ever. Sent it back, came back with the exact same smell. Talked to the manager. He offered to make another one. At this point, my appetite was completely lost and I was about to puke, and he wanted to serve me more. Asked for a refund. He refused and then wouldn't talk to me anymore. Just sent the waitress. So got up and left. No tip and they'll never see me again.

sputnik
09-14-2006, 11:18 AM
Am I the only one that misses Chi-Chi's?

I know it wasnt authentic... but it was still damn good.

3g4me
09-14-2006, 11:47 AM
I miss chi chi's:D
then it was gringos. now tony romas.

lewdvig
10-23-2007, 12:00 PM

GOOD LUCK :thumbsup: [/B]

I went to this place yesterday and really liked it.

The lunch menu is good value. I ordered the el Trio platter: burito, quesidilia, chimichanga, beans and rice for $8.

+ a Modello Negra came out to $14.xx.

The chimi had chocolate sauce - I have been wanting to try that for a while.

I found the place better than Salt & Pepper MacLeod, but not as good as S&P Bowness.

clem24
11-05-2007, 10:39 AM
Holy old thread, batman.

Maddog55
11-18-2007, 11:54 AM
lol...love going back over old threads.

I too am having a hard time finding good mexican. Living close to the border back in BC we'd hop down to Seattle, hell even Bellingham, and awesome mexican everywhere.

Here I haven't found one YET. Tried that place on 17th...crap. They make their Burritos in the morning and just microwave 'em when you order them....mine came complete with the ends so dried out you could knock on wood with them..

Then I thought I had found a decent place in Julio Barro's, but the one up in Edmonton. Tried the one on 10th and Memorial in Kensington....again..pure crap!! They decide to "dress up" their burritos with I dunno what....must've had 25 different "chic" ingrediants to "colour it up"? . :dunno: She serves me a Corona with this lime that must've been two weeks old. I asked for another and she took attitude with me. Next one was the same...could barely squeeze a drop out of it.

What is it with these "canadian" mexican places that feel they have to "splash" up original mexican dishes and make them fancier??!!! Just make original mexican food!!!!!

Sheesh, I could walk into any little hole-in-the-wall mexican restaurant in Bellingham and get great tasting authentic mexican food.

Jayson
11-18-2007, 01:25 PM
What ever happened to Garcia's? Wasn't that a Mexican restaurant? I went there back 8 years ago and i can't remember... just remember the food was good

turbo4dr
11-18-2007, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
Am I the only one that misses Chi-Chi's?

I know it wasnt authentic... but it was still damn good.

I miss ChiChi's too it was damm good food for back in the day when calgary was still cow town

Nissanaddict
11-25-2007, 11:36 PM
Another positive vote for Las Palermas in Red Deer. Went there as a part of the trip up to Edmonton for the Flames game last week. Definitely recommend it to everyone.

The Winger
11-26-2007, 09:43 AM
Finally something to talk about when it comes to Mexican food in Calgary - Mi Tierra Tu Taqueria.

This place is a hole in the wall in a stripmall in Oakridge at 10015 Oakfield Drive SW (take Southland drive west until it ends, turn right at the T intersection and it is in the stripmall on the left), and they have a store attached to the restaurant. Taco's are $3 a piece with a good selection, and they also have burrito's and enchiladas with specials on the weekend. Saturday was my first visit, and I had the Chorizo Con Queso ($9.50 and a special that was on the sideboard) which they serve with 5 tortilla's, and there was enough meat that you needed about 8-10 tortilla's. Flavour was absolutely amazing. Next time I go I am going to try the Alhambre Con Queso which also looked very good.

Don't expect much here in the way of decorations, and there are not really any tables to sit at, but there are tables and counters to stand at and eat. I live in the deep SE but will be a regular here for sure. Definitely satisfys cravings in between trips to Phoenix and Vegas. Now if only we could get a Baja Fresh in Calgary.

BigMass
08-18-2008, 02:58 PM
anyone know where can i get some horchata in Calgary? I used to drink this stuff by the gallon down in Cali.

Kritafo
08-18-2008, 09:10 PM
you can buy the mix at El Bombazo Latino Restaurant & Market at 2881 17 Avenue SE

RY213
08-18-2008, 11:23 PM
There is a place in Kensington called Si Senor Pizza that has a very limited mexican menu, but thier food is amazing! It tastes like food I would get back in Texas. The owners are really nice people too, I highly recommend it, I would rather eat there than S+P any time...

BigMass
08-19-2008, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Kritafo
you can buy the mix at El Bombazo Latino Restaurant & Market at 2881 17 Avenue SE

thanks, i'll take a look :thumbsup:

Nissanaddict
08-20-2008, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by The Winger
Finally something to talk about when it comes to Mexican food in Calgary - Mi Tierra Tu Taqueria.

This place is a hole in the wall in a stripmall in Oakridge at 10015 Oakfield Drive SW (take Southland drive west until it ends, turn right at the T intersection and it is in the stripmall on the left), and they have a store attached to the restaurant. Taco's are $3 a piece with a good selection, and they also have burrito's and enchiladas with specials on the weekend. Saturday was my first visit, and I had the Chorizo Con Queso ($9.50 and a special that was on the sideboard) which they serve with 5 tortilla's, and there was enough meat that you needed about 8-10 tortilla's. Flavour was absolutely amazing. Next time I go I am going to try the Alhambre Con Queso which also looked very good.

Don't expect much here in the way of decorations, and there are not really any tables to sit at, but there are tables and counters to stand at and eat. I live in the deep SE but will be a regular here for sure. Definitely satisfys cravings in between trips to Phoenix and Vegas. Now if only we could get a Baja Fresh in Calgary.

:thumbsup:
I just moved near Oakridge, and I just dropped by this place today. I had 2 shredded pork with orange based sauce. They ran out of rice, but that was ok, as they replaced it with beans, which were amazing. Mixed with chorizo, jalapeno, and other things. I agree that it beats the dog piss out of Salt and Pepper.

rmk
08-20-2008, 08:19 PM
No shit! My Momma lives down in Oakridge and I always drive past that place.... Will def. check it out this weekend. :thumbsup:

Been to Salt N Pepper multiple times for their platter.

There is a Mexican place on 17th... any experience at this place? It's near Ming

pinoyhero
08-20-2008, 08:21 PM
Wcked I'll check out the new joint, so it is like fast food / take out?

Nissanaddict
08-20-2008, 09:25 PM
They've got tables to sit down now (the guy who first posted it posted it last year, and they said it's only been a restaurant a year). Really nice people in charge. It was quick, good priced, and those 2 tacos filled me up pretty well.

nonlinear
08-23-2008, 03:40 PM
i just got back from seattle where i ate shitloads of great mexican. i was craving a real mexican taqueria, so i tried out mi terra taqueria for the first time.

this place is amazing - by far the most authentic mexican taqueria i've seen in calgary so far (although they do have nachos on the menu, which are not mexican LOL). the guy who owns it and prepares the food is named Hector, and i think his wife was the server. they are both very, very friendly and like to talk with their customers which i liked.

the food was out of this world. my gf had a shredded beef tostada, which was really large and delicious and i think it was only like $4 or something ridiculous like that. i had the special (don't know the name). it tasted awesome, but i'm not exactly sure what it was so it kinda grossed me out. the flavors were amazing, but it was kind of a genatinous orange-colored thing with a layer of pork skin on it i think. so i won't get that next time. i also had a side of rice and beans... their refried beans are fucking boss

all in all, we had a tostada, 2 unidentified tacos, rice and beans, all for $10.50!!!!! so i left them a really nice tip :)

dannie
08-23-2008, 04:04 PM
This is my favorite quick eat restaurant. The owners are awesome. The food is ALWAYS so good. (Ask them what the special is that day. Its usually frikkin awesome). The entomatadas are my favorite lately. The tomato sauce is so good!!!

Nissanaddict
08-24-2008, 03:32 PM
Nonlinear, the tacos you speak of are...well I forget the name, but it's shredded pork in an orange based sauce. That's the first thing I had there. I agree about their refried beans. They are so damn tasty, I make sure that everything I order has them as a side. Amazing stuff. I went there again yesterday, and had a tostada de picadillo. Freaking amazing. This place beats anything I've tried for Mexican including Las Palermas in Red Deer. Most of it (I guess the nachos don't factor in) is authentic stuff. This is the Vogglio D'Pizza of Mexican in Calgary.

Toms-SC
08-24-2008, 03:36 PM
Wheres this place at?

dannie
08-24-2008, 09:09 PM
It is at the corner of southland and oakridge drive. It is in the strip mall right in front of you.

Toms-SC
08-25-2008, 09:27 AM
They were closed yesterday.

Going to try on Tuesday night.

nonlinear
08-25-2008, 02:25 PM
hey Toms-SC,

yea they are closed on Mondays :(

oh well, guess they have to have at least one day off per week :)

let us know what you had, and what you thought of the restaurant and food.

The Winger
08-26-2008, 01:50 PM
I have become a regular at Mi Tierra and definitely think this is the best mexican food that I have had in AB. I still look forward to my frequent trips down south for Mexican food but this stuff is pretty damn good. Another dish I have come to love that isn't on the menu is called Chuletta Con Queso, amazing. It is basically a pork chop marinated in a lime based sauce, cubed and fried with onions and covered with cheese. :drool:

They did a bit of a renovation a few months back where they added some sit down tables and a crappy paint job, but luckily the food didn't change

nonlinear
08-26-2008, 04:53 PM
^^oh that sounds delicious. is that a special, or can they always make it but it's just not on the menu?

RY213
08-26-2008, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by RY213
There is a place in Kensington called Si Senor Pizza that has a very limited mexican menu, but thier food is amazing! It tastes like food I would get back in Texas. The owners are really nice people too, I highly recommend it, I would rather eat there than S+P any time...

Why are you guys sleeping on this place? I went there again today, I had 2 beef burritos and a side of mexican rice. The burritos are $3 each and they are pretty filling, the rice was $3.75 and was a big portion. I usually get the soft tacos which are better than the burritos IMO. You can also get taquitos 4 for $5 iirc, i havent tried them yet though.

I havent tried the place in oakridge yet, went there yesterday but they werent open. Si Senor Pizza is the best though, try it!!!

nonlinear
08-26-2008, 10:19 PM
i'm always hesitant to try places that 'specialize' in donairs + pizza, or anything + pizza.... it just screams cheap ingredients and a lack of focus....

if you can make anything good, then you shouldn't have to sling $7 pizza on the side.

(i've known about that place since at least 2004 or so, and i've walked by and decided not to go. also, there was a old site that reported on food inspections, can't remember what it was - not the new alberta health site - that said they had the air conditioner dripping into the lettuce!)

R-Audi
08-27-2008, 08:35 AM
My Fav is still El Sombrero.... ate there last night in fact! Great food, and excellent Margaritas!!

SilverGS
08-27-2008, 08:58 AM
Anyone try Juan's Mexican Restaurant on Stephen Ave?

I remember it being somewhat expensive but pretty good.

Also who says' nachos aren't Mexican?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nachos

nonlinear
08-27-2008, 10:25 AM
if you've ever been to mexico, you know that people there don't eat nachos and they are not traditional mexican cuisine.

that wiki link seems to say that they were invented by a mexican guy at an american restaurant in mexico on the tesax border. a group of american soldiers' wives came in and all he had on hand was tortillas and Wisconsin cheddar cheese. definately not authentic mexican cuisine

don't wanna start any fights here, but if you're ever in mexico, you'll be hard-pressed to find nachos on any menu. in fact, I don't think i've really ever even seen them on menus at taquerias in the US

SilverGS
08-27-2008, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by nonlinear
if you've ever been to mexico, you know that people there don't eat nachos and they are not traditional mexican cuisine.

that wiki link seems to say that they were invented by a mexican guy at an american restaurant in mexico on the tesax border. a group of american soldiers' wives came in and all he had on hand was tortillas and Wisconsin cheddar cheese. definately not authentic mexican cuisine

don't wanna start any fights here, but if you're ever in mexico, you'll be hard-pressed to find nachos on any menu. in fact, I don't think i've really ever even seen them on menus at taquerias in the US

Heh heh no fight here. I have been to Mexico and agree that it is not "traditional" Mexican food that you will find in the restaurants there.

Just that it was invented in Mexico by a Mexican using ingredients used in regular Mexican food. However, it was made popular through American sports and is associated as an American snack food.

The Winger
08-27-2008, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
^^oh that sounds delicious. is that a special, or can they always make it but it's just not on the menu?

When the restaurant first opened it was a weekly special, but now they have a few dishes which aren't on the menus yet which are available all the time.

RY213
08-29-2008, 08:49 PM
I went to Mi Tierra tonight. I had the Enchiladas de Mole, and it was unMF'inbelievable! Definitely the best Mexican food ive had in Calgary, I will become a regular here for sure. I noticed on thier menu that they have chorizo con huevo, have you guys tried this? The best thing when I was staying in Texas was to get breakfast burritos in the morning...

nonlinear
09-21-2008, 04:43 PM
we went to Mi Tierra again today for lunch

i had the enchiladas verde and my gf had a shredded chicken taco and a shredded beef taco. the food was outstanding as usual. the green sauce on my enchiladas was to die for - great flavor from fresh herbs and spices and a bit of a kick (but not overly hot). my gf's tacos were delicious as well. it's nice to see that they season the beef and the chicken differently, instead of just using a single generic spice combination for all the different meats. Also, the great thing about the food at this place is that the spice combinations are unique, and vary from the stereotypical cumin/chili powder combinations at most 'mexican' restaurants.

so yea, the food is EXCELLENT, but there are a couple of minor things that we think could be improved. i think the prices are just a bit high for the quantity of food you get. A single taco is $3.50, and my enchilada plate was $10.50 for two very small enchiladas, rice, and beans. I'm american originally, and we have little taquerias like this on nearly every corner, and i'm used to paying way less for similar sized portions (even adjusted for exchange). I think a fairer price for a taco would be $2.50 and maybe $7.50-$8 for the enchiladas ($10.50 is too much).

also, it would be nice to have real plates and real silverware instead of the tin foil trays. this makes for a much more pleasant dining experience, and I imagine this would save the owners money in the long run.

a fuller menu with less ala carte and more combos would be welcopme as well

also, they need to implement the tip feature on their debit machine. i always pay with debit and couldn't add a tip today, and only had a loonie in my pocket. so i felt like a cheap ass leaving $1 on a $18 bill

anyhow, food is excellent at this place. i'm really surprised that this place remains relatively unknown in calgary. if they could work on some of these minor issues, i don't see why they couldn't move into a larger establishment with liquor license and full wait staff, etc.