PDA

View Full Version : Insurance on Car Rentals

max_boost
02-20-2003, 09:07 PM
Hey Guys,

When I rent a car (tomorrow) am I required to purchase insurance with the rental company? Or do I ask my insurance company about insurance on rentals?

I just sold my car :( and my beater Camry is going under the knife :( I need a car to get me around for the next few days.

Any info would be great!

Zephyr
02-20-2003, 09:09 PM
awww ur car is sold...

mrmattyk
02-20-2003, 09:11 PM
I think you buy insurance through the company. Could be wrong :dunno:

ecstasy_civic
02-20-2003, 09:15 PM
ya you buy it through the rental company, its like 25 bucks

sorry you had to sell your car sam, sorry.

just make sure you think of me when you beat on the rental!!:thumbsup:

2000impreza
02-20-2003, 09:15 PM
i don't think you have any choice but to buy insurance through the rental company.....

max_boost
02-20-2003, 09:21 PM
Ok that is no biggie than....I don't imagine insurance being too much.....I hope not!

Pole Position
02-20-2003, 09:38 PM
Some credit cards have rental car insurance benefits. I know most of the gold cards does, as well as some AMEX. Usually the ones that you have to pay a annual fee.

If not, just buy it through the rental price. They don't check your driving record, and it is zero deductable.

max_boost
02-20-2003, 09:47 PM
Yah, AMEX and Visa Gold would always send me these car rental coupons etc. and I always throw them out, I could really use one right now! I hate paying full price, for anything! haha I'm chinese! dam it!

5gluder
02-20-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Pole Position
Some credit cards have rental car insurance benefits. I know most of the gold cards does, as well as some AMEX. Usually the ones that you have to pay a annual fee.

If not, just buy it through the rental price. They don't check your driving record, and it is zero deductable.

:werd:, phone your credit card company, if you pay with your card they may automatically insure your car.

SilverStreak
02-20-2003, 09:59 PM
Out of all the cars you like, which one will it be now?

FiveFreshFish
02-20-2003, 10:04 PM
I believe the zero deductible car rental insurance costs more than 10 buck a day. However, the insurance on your Camry may cover cars you drive up to a certain limit. Call your insurance company and ask them if you're covered.

max_boost
02-20-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by SilverStreak
Out of all the cars you like, which one will it be now?

I think it is the one your driving:D

boi-alien
02-20-2003, 10:27 PM
hey sam, my insurance policy covers rental car insurance. i think i pay an extra like $50 bucks a year or something minimal like that. then i don't have to get insurance from the car company just have to show my insurance documents to them. call your company and check to see if it's applicable to you

vince
02-20-2003, 11:05 PM
if u are going to pay by credit card, check with your credit card center. i went to vancouver 2 weeks ago, i rent a mini van. i just only need to pay the liability only. i called the CIBC visa card center, they said if i pay with my aerogold visa my insurance will be covered by them!!!

HRD2PLZ
02-21-2003, 09:15 AM
Yeah, my insurance policy covers rental/coutesy cars, as well as my platinum visa. Its worth looking into :dunno: