PDA

View Full Version : Bell HDTV channel behavior?

TurboMedic
11-14-2005, 05:29 PM
I have my setup complete, and I'm browsing through my HD channels, and I noticed that most (inc. DiscoveryHD) are in 4:3 aspect?? The 24hr HD content Bell channel is perfect 16:9, now why is this?? I have the aspect on the reciever set to 16:9, and of course my TV is 16:9 (and is set for that)....Does it change program to program?? Are there HD broadcasts in 4:3 (I didn't know if that is so)?? I heard that th commercials sometimes do that, but even Rogers Sportsnet and news casts were in the 4:3 aspect; is it possible they are just upconverted SD?

Second question, since you guys are looking, under the info bar when you change channels, there are 2 labels HD:normal and SD:normal
The SD:normal is always the one that has the yellow border, even on the HD channels.....why doesn't that change?? I'm 100% positive the 24hr Bell HD broadcast is pure HD, I can see that, but it still has SD:normal highlighted.....Why?

Otherwise it looks fantastic!

egmike
11-14-2005, 05:50 PM
mine is the same, Its because its not a hd broadcast, true HD fills up the whole screen, look for the tv shows that have HD in the title... and the pg up and pg down button controls the sd and hd normal thingy , it allows u to zoom and stuff.

TurboMedic
11-14-2005, 06:07 PM
Ahh, great, thanks for the quick reply! The manual says nothing about that HD/SD zoom button thing.....nice to know!
Edit: Discovery HD is always in 4:3.....must be upconverted?

TurboMedic
11-15-2005, 05:44 PM
Next question:

My TV will do 480p 540i 720p and 1080i. When I set my reciever to anything other than 480p, the screen shrinks to a bit bigger than 4:3 aspect.......My TV says 720p or 1080i in the input info, but it doesn't display correctly......why?? Its a Hitachi RPTV, 47f500