PDA

View Full Version : Core exercises?

Vagabond142
11-14-2005, 05:58 PM
Hey all

I'm trying to work my core strength up to a good standard by June (military fitness test month), and as such am doing side-inclined situps (where you get on that machine that lets you bend way down and "sit-up", pretty much a piece of padding at 35 degrees), using the same machine for back pull-ups (lean down, use back muscles to pull torso back up) and three different kinds of situps/crunches.

I am looking for excercises that will let me target and focus on my core-four (as they called it at the fitness center): Abs, lat, lat, back. Any suggestions that won't have me tearing muscles or screaming in pain?

So far from the people I've asked something called a "low plank" is a good exercise.... :dunno:

Toma
11-14-2005, 06:06 PM
deadlift and squat to failure and screaming pain....but not to tearing muscles.

Hanging leg lifts as well...

~Leah~
11-14-2005, 06:06 PM
Dude, just remind me to show you some stuff tomorrow. I can give you a killer core program.

Vagabond142
11-14-2005, 06:42 PM
I'm busy tomorrow. I will be free on Wednesday :D

~Leah~
11-14-2005, 06:52 PM
Oops, my bad... lol... I'm trying to get this week over with already dammit!

Vagabond142
11-29-2005, 01:14 PM
Well, didn't get my core program from Leah :cry: So I'm still looking for more core exercises...

What I've been doing so far:

At the pull-down/pull up machines (the ones with the many attachments you can put on the cable and set the height of the cable), I've been doing:

-With the tricep rope handles on, pull weights so my hands are even with my ears, then bow forward 90 degrees slowly, then stand up straight slowly, with the height pulley at the top of the machine

-"Pot stirring" ie holding arms stiff out laterally, then using my abs and obliques to twist to the side, then let it come back to start, with height pulley at shoulder height

-using a light bar weight (20 lbs), standing with legs almost locked, reaching down, holding the bar and then straightening slowly (I believe this is a dead lift?)

-Regular situps, twisting situps, inclined side- and back-ups, medicine ball situps (curl up, toss ball to standing partner, partner tosses it back, catch on the down curl, rinse, repeat)

-hanging leg lifts

-"the plank"

-Using a large exercise ball, with shins on the top, arms in pushup position, then tucking my knees to my chest so my toes are on top of the ball, 10 reps, 3 sets per day

I'm also going hardcore on the cardio (30 minutes intervalled bikes and ellipticals, as well as starting into a swimming program), and using a bulking program for my upper body (strength = important in army)

Comments? Suggestions?

calgarygts
11-29-2005, 01:26 PM
If strength is important don't neglect your lower body, upper body isn't going to do anything for you if you don't have any lower body strength as well. In real world applications, I would much rather have lower body strength.

Vagabond142
11-29-2005, 02:36 PM
CalgaryGTS: I'm not neglecting my legs. 14 years or so of martial arts have lead to some fairly massive legs (when flexed, my calves are as wide or wider than my thighs). I can leg press over 300 lbs without even so much as a grunt. My leg strength does not worry me :D

My core is my biggest concern, because that is the area that supports the weight placed on the upper body, ie a rucksack, which at times can weigh up to 120 lbs. I also am working the cardio like a mofo to get rid of my body fat, and have changed my diet drastically as well (not stupidly drastic, but cut down on pork, have skinless chicken, no more pop, drinking a whackload more OJ and "healthy" drinks such as tomato juice (which I've always loved anyways :P), etc)

But I want my core to be strong enough for my chosen MOS's, which are Armored Corps first, Infantry second, both requiring huge amounts of core and upper body strength. I know I have the muscles there, I just want to develop and strengthen and such :D

00CivicSi
12-13-2005, 01:41 PM
Building core is building small stabalizing muscles that wrap or connect to your larger muscle. To build up core str you hafta do gurlie stuff.

- Kneel on a swiss ball against the wall until you can move away from the wall. Do that 15- 30 mins every 2 days.

- Russian Twist . Lie on your back on a bench, grab a dumbell about 10- 15 pounds. With both arms straighten them with the dumber and bend side to side this will werk yer obliques and stabilizers in your lower abs.

that's usually a good start. You'll up yer str like crazy cause you will have more balance and core stabalizer! There's tonnes of other core excersises just look around on the net. Most of them are gurlie but you'll be surpirsed at what they can do.

1-Bar
12-16-2005, 07:18 PM
For core workouts I like to use the swiss ball.....

normal situp/crunch
obliques crunch
oblique curl
back extention
bridge
rotation (keeling on ball with dowel)
jack-knifes

lemme know if you want clairification on any of these exercises, too many to write....lol