PDA

View Full Version : automotive help from students @ sait

VeilOctane
11-15-2005, 01:11 AM
im having problems with my tranny and i was told that if i was not in a hurry i could get my jeep fixed at sait at a really good rate...
i think its great to help out students get experience on working on cars but i was told it takes a long time for them to get them to work on your car??

how would i go abouts making an appointment to leaving my jeep there to get serviced and is there a supper long waiting list??? im not in a hurry as of i got all winter,

max_boost
11-15-2005, 01:22 AM
You sure you want a bunch of apprenticing students to work on your car?

I don't have any suggestions other than telling you to call SAIT and ask.

lastprodigy
11-15-2005, 02:19 AM
From what I have heard before and what I would assume you have to leave your car with them for the entire semester at least. Just call up the automotive department as MB suggested.

vtec
11-15-2005, 06:39 PM
they would need it for atleast a week up to 2. They spend about 2 1/2 hours per day. Seeing how the semester is over in about 4 weeks, it might be tough to get it in right now.

l8braker
11-15-2005, 06:52 PM
I have a COMM class in the Auto building, and I've looked around a bit and there was atleast 35 cars in their service area with no one around... Everything from a Crossfire to Pathfinder.

Supa Dexta
11-15-2005, 06:53 PM
We sent in an old tractor one winter (this was at nscc back in NS, same difference) it came back ok, but yes, took a while.. The auto class will do smaller jobs quickly (they would take them for the day) but anything in depth they like to take their time and explain it all out, as it's no use for the instructor to be like "hey just unbolt that, throw in this new johnson rod and put that bolt back in", no learning going on there......

:)

zhulander
11-15-2005, 11:58 PM
What's wrong with your transmission? Depending on what it is it could take 1 day or 2 months. I doubt you can get your car in for this semester but you should book now for next semester as your car probably won't get in and worked on until March.

Originally posted by max_boost
You sure you want a bunch of apprenticing students to work on your car?

I don't have any suggestions other than telling you to call SAIT and ask.

Sometimes its actually better to bring it to SAIT because there isn't any pressure with time limits as there is in industry. For example, I'm doing a full tranny rebuild and everything is cleaned and polished to a mirror finish, all bolts and their corresponding threads are cleaned and step torqued to spec., end plays are clearances are checked upon removal and rechecked on installation. This stuff probably wouldn't happen out in industry because time is money.

Also it could save you a lot of money because they do a full diagnosis and not suggest replacing an entire component. eg. A truck came in with no 2nd gear (it's been to 2 shops previously), the dealership wanted like $1000 to replace the trasmission entirely when all it needed was a $12 apply pin.

At SAIT your car will come back to you in as good as shape or better. You're actually lucky if one of their student breaks something cause they'll replace it for you for free, way to get a new part.

Hamann
11-16-2005, 12:59 PM
my brother had an engine swap done buy SAIT, they did it for crazy cheap, but it took all year, First semester and second semester students worked on it. If you're not in a hurry go for it, cause you save lotsa cash.

b_t
11-16-2005, 01:07 PM
If you want crazy paint work done, the absolute 100% best place to bring your car is SAIT, since it has to be perfect when its done and they will do some good work. Takes an entire semester and costs around $400 from what I heard.