PDA

View Full Version : Solo2 Tonite?

Superesc
07-03-2002, 11:07 AM
Anyone heading out to the SOLO2 tonite??

legendboy
07-03-2002, 11:15 AM
:dunno: $ :(

ninspeed
07-03-2002, 12:09 PM
i might stop by to watch

Davan
07-03-2002, 12:14 PM
I should be there watching and snapping some pics and/or vids. :)

rage2
07-03-2002, 01:34 PM
I'll be there as usual.

kevie88
07-03-2002, 02:38 PM
How much is it to run at a solo event?

rage2
07-03-2002, 02:42 PM
$25 for members, $30 for non members. 4 runs. Be there before 6pm to get your car teched. Stop by my car and say hi, I'll be in the black SLK 320.

kevie88
07-03-2002, 02:56 PM
Hmm, I'd love to go but I'm working until 19:00.. poopy. Maybe the next one!

Weapon_R
07-03-2002, 04:10 PM
Where does this event take place?

celica girl
07-03-2002, 04:11 PM
Race City

4wheeldrift
07-04-2002, 06:53 AM
So, how's you like the ride? :D:burnout: That wasn't even my fastest run of the night, my last run was a not terribly fast but certainly respectable 59.6 (but with a cone :banghead: )

rage2
07-04-2002, 08:55 AM
All I can say is, I felt the $450 price difference with these Kumhos compared to the Toyo T1-S's... 60.0s was my best time. I reviewed my fun run tapes last night, and found 1 run that was a wee bit cleaner at 59.7... pretty sure I'm really close to the tire's limit.

Davan
07-04-2002, 09:08 AM
Saw you running last night, Rage... the car looked really cool in the high bank of the oval. :thumbsup:

rage2
07-04-2002, 09:30 AM
Thanks! I actually found a little more time there on one of my fun runs. If I turned on traction control at the beginning of the banking, I can go flat out through the 3rd and 4th sets of banking pylons because the car will brake just one wheel to keep me from understeering into the wall =). Just have to remember to shut it off when I was off the banking. I looked at the video of that run and I could've saved about 0.5s using this method... so I might've been able to match 4wheeldrift's time if I put everything together right.

I was kind of peeved seeing all the convertibles run with their tops down... I was told at the beginning of the year that we weren't allowed to run top down unless we had a rollcage... I found that strange because we run on the full roadcourse with the top down, and the speeds are much faster out there. Turns out stock cars are allowed to run with the tops down.

Why am I bitching? When I run with the top down, there's more weight in the rear of the car (heavy metal roof in the trunk), making the car a lot less front heavy improving the car's balance. I can actually hear my tires too. I've been driving deaf on the last few events, because I can not hear my tires at all, with the in car sound deadening when the top's up, as well as the helmet's thick foam.

Davan
07-04-2002, 10:02 AM
That's a really neat idea. Not sure I understand it completely, I've never raced solo2... but it did look like a lot of the cars were having problems keeping control at high speeds on the bank section of the course...

I'll have my pics up soon... :)

speedracer
07-04-2002, 10:14 AM
It was good design for the course. If I had a guts to push the car and not think of the pole I would have dropped my time to 56 instead of 57 :( (My car would skip across sideways on that corner). Dropping tire pressures helped a bit in meeting all the offset camber from the oval (very evil) but my car still skipped (stiff suspension).

Rage2: Just find a live body to throw in the trunk :D Good weight distribution when you corner - lol

This is my understanding (but may not be fact):
Road Course racing they would like to see you have roll over protection even stock.

Oval and Parking lots are ok for Stock - difficult to flip 4 wheels.

I haven't read up on saftey. My concentration is in mod rules as everyone asks where should my car be and how many points.. or where is my car classed....(almost have it memorized...scary):rofl:

rage2
07-04-2002, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by speedracer
It was good design for the course. If I had a guts to push the car and not think of the pole I would have dropped my time to 56 instead of 57 :(. Dropping tire pressures helped a bit in meeting all the offset camber from the oval (very evil) but my car still skipped (stiff suspension).

I never thought tires would make such a big difference, but I definately felt the difference with the Kumho's vs Toyo's (street tires). The course design was excellent, other than scraping a bit under hard braking for the U-Turn coming from the top to the bottom, the course suited my car nicely. After I changed to go from bottom to top, no more scraping and a full second faster.

Rage2: Just find a live body to throw in the trunk :D Good weight distribution when you corner - lol

Good idea! And thanks for volunteering! The only requirement is a Snell 2000 helmet if you're riding in the trunk! :rofl:

speedracer
07-04-2002, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by rage2

Good idea! And thanks for volunteering! The only requirement is a Snell 2000 helmet if you're riding in the trunk! :rofl:

There's no shame in being a car slut :rofl:

4wheeldrift
07-04-2002, 12:05 PM
I probably could have run a full second better than I ultimately did. I never did try leaving teh car in second thru the buttonhole, and if I wasn't such a weenie hitting the brakes to get up into that high gate on the banking :banghead: Oh well next time :)

Oh yeah Rage, have you tried messing with your pressures at all? I know my pressures were too high last night, the car was sliding all over the place. Didn't chalk the wheels to see exactly what was going on there.

rage2
07-04-2002, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
Oh yeah Rage, have you tried messing with your pressures at all? I know my pressures were too high last night, the car was sliding all over the place. Didn't chalk the wheels to see exactly what was going on there.

Yes, I've been playing with pressures a lot. I ran 36psi last night. The Toyos liked 37psi. The first solo2 and prosolo that I did, I ran 32psi on the Toyos. That was a mistake =).

Didn't use any chalk last night, light sidewall rub from what I saw, so I'll try a bit higher pressure next event. Not sure if it was sidewall rub, or if it was from when I bottomed out. I'll chalk next time.

4wheeldrift
07-04-2002, 12:22 PM
I'm finding the kumho's can be quite sensitive to pressure. Even half a psi seems to make the difference between good traction and sliding everywhere.

rage2
07-04-2002, 01:05 PM
There's no shame in being a car slut :rofl:

And that earns you a user title my friend! :rofl:

speedracer
07-04-2002, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by rage2

And that earns you a user title my friend! :rofl:
Damnit :rofl:

Davan
07-04-2002, 03:37 PM
Haha! :D That's a good one! :rofl:

4wheeldrift
07-04-2002, 06:37 PM

Damnit :rofl:

Wicked :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

4wheeldrift
07-04-2002, 06:45 PM
Hey rage, how did you find your car was stopping at the end? I was going both feet in, brake right to the floor and was just BARELY stopping. That last section was insane. I haven't seen that much stop box cone carnage in quite some time.

rage2
07-04-2002, 06:47 PM
It was fine. I always braked at the timing light and still have a few inches to spare. I tried ebrake, which locked the rear tires in the fun run video, and the distance *increased* and I went through the stop box... just gotta let ABS do it's job.

SLK brakes are awesome =).

speedracer
07-04-2002, 07:14 PM
ABS is for sissy's:angel:

rage2
07-04-2002, 07:29 PM
ABS is for sissy's:angel:

Didn't you say you wished you had ABS yesterday? Closet Sissy? :rofl:

4wheeldrift
07-04-2002, 11:19 PM
Don't mind brando, he's just got brake envy :D