PDA

View Full Version : NHL's Best Goalie

Team_Mclaren
11-15-2005, 01:50 PM
who would you want on your team?!

I love Kiprusoff but for a solid goalie Luongo and Brodeur is definity better imo

DelSoln
11-15-2005, 02:04 PM
Theodore hands down! Go Habs go!

bspot
11-15-2005, 02:06 PM
Luongo is not better than Kipprusoff, and not even close to Brodeur. The guy has inflated statistices because he can't control a rebound to save his life and florida stats keepers give out shots on goal easier than anyone in the league (look at shots per game in Florida).

A_3
11-15-2005, 02:08 PM
My vote is for Kipper, Luongo is an inredible goalie but I feel he hasn't really done much (not his fault, Florida sucks). Kipper is always so cool under pressure, makes the big save when we need it like it was nothing. :thumbsup: :goflames:

lastprodigy
11-15-2005, 02:09 PM
^ yeah ok there, either way...at this point I would say Theodore.

wildrice
11-15-2005, 02:10 PM
Turco. He's playing really good this year.

l8braker
11-15-2005, 02:12 PM
Hasek

DelSoln
11-15-2005, 02:13 PM
^You could make a similar argument for Brodeur though. He has always been on a great defensive team. Now that he has lot his best two defenceman (Stevens, Neidermayer) he isn't looking too shit hot. Now I'm not saying Brodeur isn't great but I think he benefitted greatly from the trap and defence first mentality that the devils played for so long. I'm not so sure he even deserves to be the starter for Canada as it stands right now...then again we have some ways to go.

Kirbs17
11-15-2005, 02:13 PM
Turco without a doubt this year. labarbera is doing well as well

stevieo
11-15-2005, 02:16 PM
Vincent Law, great goalie......:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Team_Mclaren
11-15-2005, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by DelSoln
^You could make a similar argument for Brodeur though. He has always been on a great defensive team. Now that he has lot his best two defenceman (Stevens, Neidermayer) he isn't looking too shit hot. Now I'm not saying Brodeur isn't great but I think he benefitted greatly from the trap and defence first mentality that the devils played for so long. I'm not so sure he even deserves to be the starter for Canada as it stands right now...then again we have some ways to go.

I dont think its all about the stats, if you watch each goalie closely you can see that they all play a different style of hockey. Brodeur is real solid in net. Look at the devils when he was out for that 4/5 games, His puck handeling skill makes the defense job sooo much easiler as well. I would put him as a starter for team Canada without a doubt

Originally posted by stevieo
Vincent Law, great goalie......:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Damn right bitch!:D

quiksilver
11-15-2005, 02:35 PM
is this right during this season or previous.

so far this year Cam Ward has done pretty good for a rookie on what used to be a not so good hockey team. previous would have to be Roberto Luongo because he also plays on a not so good team and still manages decent numbers.

Bill Cosby
11-15-2005, 02:51 PM
obviously brodeur

l8braker
11-15-2005, 02:52 PM
^ brodeur misses his oversized pads.

rage2
11-15-2005, 03:12 PM
These polls are totally useless on a forum with so many calgary members. Might as well post it up on calgaryflames.com haha.

ryder_23
11-15-2005, 03:15 PM
How the hell did joseph get on the list.

My vote is turco :thumbsup: or luongo...

Weapon_R
11-15-2005, 03:30 PM
I'd have to say Brodeur, he's unbelievably consistent and always solid in net. Besides, he's the guy who takes us to the gold medal every year

Kipper is our man in Calgary, but consistency is key.

TEAMFaint
11-15-2005, 03:34 PM
Are we talkin about this year? Cause Brodeur would definately not be on that list, he's strugglin this year big time.
Kippy is good, but inconsistent.
Hasek is dominating this year, which is quite a change for him, the smaller pads gives him an advantage over other goalies.
Eddy is doin great in Toronto this year, still not as consistent as he can be though.

Out of all on this list, Theodore has the golden glove this year so far.

bspot
11-15-2005, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by ryder_23
How the hell did joseph get on the list.

He's been incredible this year! The Flames would have scored 7 goals on any other goalie last thursday. He stood on his head to make that look close.

w3apon
11-15-2005, 03:38 PM
just some stat info, looking at Yahoo Fantasy Hockey , here is how they rate the top 5 goalies currently:

Name W GAA SV% SHO
1. D. Hasek (Ott - G) 9 1.89 .937 3
2. M. Legace (Det - G) 12 2.02 .920 2
3. M. Kiprusoff (Cgy - G) 10 2.37 .909 3
4. C. Joseph (Pho - G) 8 2.17 .929 2
5. M. Gerber (Car - G) 7 2.17 .929 2

A_3
11-15-2005, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by bspot

He's been incredible this year! The Flames would have scored 7 goals on any other goalie last thursday. He stood on his head to make that look close.

This is true, he's been having an amazing year, if his team wasn't so shitty it might actually be worth something. He's definetly saving Wayne's ass though... sorta...

My second vote goes to "Jim Carrey" :rofl:
Don't know if anyone remembers him?

ryder_23
11-15-2005, 06:03 PM
^
of course, won the vezna, then shit the bed the next year :rofl:

Foz
11-15-2005, 06:31 PM
Grant Fuhr!

Team_Mclaren
11-15-2005, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by l8braker
^ brodeur misses his oversized pads.

are u just retarded or do u even know who brodeur is ???

:rolleyes:

88CRX
11-15-2005, 07:02 PM

Well aren't you a piece of work!

It's a known fact that he used larger sized pads, and he is prob. wishing he had them now that they have cracked down on the size they can use this season.

:goflames:

uhhhhh.... i think you might be wrong there buddy... Brodeur always has used small pads and i'm possitive i read somewhere that Brodeur didnt even have to change his pads/pad size this season cause his already were within the new rules.

edit - your post and several other just dissapeared :dunno:

ryder_23
11-15-2005, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

uhhhhh.... i think you might be wrong there buddy... Brodeur always has used small pads and i'm possitive i read somewhere that Brodeur didnt even have to change his pads/pad size this season cause his already were within the new rules.

:werd: i also heard that they were talkin about him not going to the larger usable size in the olympics because hes not use to bigger pads...

l8braker
11-15-2005, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

are u just retarded or do u even know who brodeur is ???

:rolleyes:

Uh, where did that come from?

It's a known fact that he used larger sized pads, and he is prob. wishing he had them now that they have cracked down on the size they can use this season.

Nice post, you came across real classy pal. :D

ryder_23
11-15-2005, 07:07 PM

Uh, where did that come from?

Nice post, you came across real classy pal. :D

Well aren't you a piece of work!

Even though you delete, its already been quoted...you came off extremly classy at first...

l8braker
11-15-2005, 07:10 PM

edit - your post and several other just dissapeared :dunno:

After the game last night on Sportsnet they were talking about him and Hasek struggling because of the new regulations on the pads, and how they both used larger equipment. I'll take their word thanks.

lastprodigy
11-15-2005, 07:21 PM
All these polls are so pointless, you guys just keep voting for the popular calgary guy (Kipper, Phaneuf etc) without actually considering who actually is better.:rolleyes:

ryder_23
11-15-2005, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by rage2
These polls are totally useless on a forum with so many calgary members. Might as well post it up on calgaryflames.com haha.

Originally posted by lastprodigy
All these polls are so pointless, you guys just keep voting for the popular calgary guy (Kipper, Phaneuf etc) without actually considering who actually is better.:rolleyes:

:rolleyes: read the thread before you whore...

Team_Mclaren
11-15-2005, 07:23 PM

After the game last night on Sportsnet they were talking about him and Hasek struggling because of the new regulations on the pads, and how they both used larger equipment. I'll take their word thanks.

If you dont know anything about goalie equipment or anything about hockey then stay out. Brodeur uses oversze pads? that has got to be the dumbest thing i have ever heard.

His pads are 36" long (or 34 dont remember), go around the nhl locker rooms and find me a 36", Brodeur has one of the smallest pads in the league right now.

Most goalies use 38 as thats the max size within the regulation, the max width of 12" has been changed to 11" since 1998. But brodeur's equipment has always been within regulation.

Hell, did you know that the chrest protector he's using has been the same one since his junior years?

90Tegra
11-15-2005, 07:32 PM
i like weekes or luongo.

88CRX
11-15-2005, 07:40 PM

taken from here... http://www.nysportsexpress.com/1/17/departments/NHL.cfm

The NHL is trying to fix this, though. This summer the NHL announced they would regulate the size of goalie leg pads, limiting them to 38 inches. Shorter leg pads mean that when goalies drop to their knees—the butterfly position—the space between their legs is no longer stuffed with pad. Or cucumber, if they're Tom Jones.

Needless to say, many goalies are upset. Perhaps none more so than Islanders goalie Garth Snow, whose entire career is built on oversized equipment, and whose equipment abuse inspired the new rule. Last season, Snow used 43 inch pads, meaning shooters now have an extra 10 inches to play with against him.

Goalies with actual technical skill haven't been as upset by the new rule, though.

Devils goalie Martin Brodeur, a 34-inch leg pad man, thank you very much, used his column in the Le Journal de Montreal newspaper to take on goalies complaining about the new regulation, singling out Snow and Anaheim goalie Jean-Sebastien Giguere.

So Brodeurs length of pads didnt change at all. However.... the NHL also knocked the width of pads from 12" down to 11" but that is minimal and wouldnt make a noticed difference.

DelSoln
11-15-2005, 07:42 PM
Lol this thread should be asking who is the best Canadian goalie right now to keep all the biased responses out.

88CRX
11-15-2005, 07:44 PM
And to get back on topic I would choose different goalies depending on how long i would need them for.

Hasek (short term, right now this season)
Luongo (long term, next decade +)

l8braker
11-15-2005, 07:44 PM

taken from here... http://www.nysportsexpress.com/1/17/departments/NHL.cfm

So Brodeurs length of pads didnt change at all. However.... the NHL also knocked the width of pads from 12" down to 11" but that is minimal and wouldnt make a noticed difference.

Hmm... They had a whole discussion about him and his equipment last night, but it's right there in the article. Thanks for clearing that up 88CRX.

88CRX
11-15-2005, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by DelSoln
Lol this thread should be asking who is the best Canadian goalie right now to keep all the biased responses out.

Kipper is currently playing like a "star" goalie. However, I understand that some people dont beleive he is proven but that is his only downfall. If Kipper plays like he currently is for the remainder of this season and plays good in the playoffs then there is no argument agaist him being one of the best goalies in the nhl.

88CRX
11-15-2005, 07:47 PM

Hmm... They had a whole discussion about him and his equipment last night, but it's right there in the article. Thanks for clearing that up 88CRX.

Ya, i think the media has uber hyped up the goalie pad changes. The only players effected where Garth Snow, JS Guigere (sp) and maybe Luongo i dunno.... most goalie were under that 38" before the changes.... but now i'm wondering lol... brb :D

Weapon_R
11-15-2005, 07:47 PM
I think Kipper's doing phenomenal also, but I do not want to say that he's one of the best because we've had amazing goaltenders go bad within one season *cough*braithwaite/turek *cough*

lastprodigy
11-15-2005, 07:53 PM

:rolleyes: read the thread before you whore...

Great thanks, I jsut re-itterated what he said and added my own opinion also. Relax....dont have to get so defensive about your precious flames.

l8braker
11-15-2005, 07:54 PM
^ don't waste your time :)

what happened to Turek anyways???? minors?, retired?, coaching?

ryder_23
11-15-2005, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by lastprodigy

Great thanks, I jsut re-itterated what he said and added my own opinion also. Relax....dont have to get so defensive about your precious flames.

:rofl: i am relaxed, and i dont see where i defended my "precious" flames, :rofl: i was going after what you said, that was similar to what rage said, had nothing to directly do with the flames...

but whatever, its not the end of the world, i will survive and as will you...:D, and not meaning this in a way to start argueing anymore..

edit: and turek retired..

DC2uned
11-15-2005, 08:09 PM

:rofl: i am relaxed, and i dont see where i defended my "precious" flames, :rofl: i was going after what you said, that was similar to what rage said, had nothing to directly do with the flames...

but whatever, its not the end of the world, i will survive and as will you...:D, and not meaning this in a way to start argueing anymore..

edit: and turek retired..

Of course Turek retired, he got millions for sitting on the bench and watching Kipper do the job. Haha

Kipper is proving himself this season, but Hasek is and has been a great goalie.

Hakkola
11-15-2005, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
I think Kipper's doing phenomenal also, but I do not want to say that he's one of the best because we've had amazing goaltenders go bad within one season *cough*braithwaite/turek *cough*

When was Braithwaite amazing? :dunno:

cujo_cjc
11-15-2005, 08:15 PM
Maybe Im being a little biased. But based off this year's performance I would have to pick Cujo

If any of you have watched a decent amount of Coyote's games you can see just how good he has been playing. I was pulling for him to have a comeback year to prove skeptics wrong so Im happy.

I figure he'll end up being trade bait though to some contender later in the year :dunno:

fordo_11
11-15-2005, 08:50 PM
Man everyone real does under rate Manny Legace, it is time people start giving him more credit he is the real deal.

88CRX
11-15-2005, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by fordo_11
Man everyone real does under rate Manny Legace, it is time people start giving him more credit he is the real deal.

He's the new Dan Cloutier... half decent goalie on a great team.

heavyD
11-16-2005, 01:32 PM
IMO the best goalie isn't the one with the best regular season stats. If you only have to play one game to win the cup the goalie you would want in the net is the best goalie in the game. The goalie that comes up big when it counts and will not fold under pressure & make the big saves:

1) Martin Brodeur
2) Ed Belfour
3) Dominic Hasek
4) Kipper
5) Jose Theodore

A_3
11-16-2005, 01:45 PM
I just realized now, but we're missing Tomas Voukon off that list. He's been playing exceptional for Nashville for the last couple seasons and he's definetly a major part of their success this season. I think he definetly deserves a top 5 nod!