PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy a suit for around $1000 - 1500

QuA
11-15-2005, 05:23 PM
Looking for something nice. Not sure where to go.

lastprodigy
11-15-2005, 05:24 PM
Harry Rosen, Forman's ...etc...

Ben
11-15-2005, 05:25 PM
I've bought mine @ Holt Renfrew and Henry Singer in TD Square.

My next suit would be custom taylored however. Not just for that "perfect" fit, but because I had such a shitty experience @ Holt Renfrew that I refuse to spend another dime there.

t-im
11-15-2005, 05:26 PM
Holt Renfrew
Harry Rosen
Henry Singer

and why set a price range like that - I think it's better to find a suit based on what you like vs. pure price.

You could get a made to measure.

I like Paul Smith suits because they are slim fitting and aren't overly expensive.

QuA
11-15-2005, 05:27 PM
Ahh sweet info. Yeah I was thinking about heading down to Harry Rosen. Damn im starting to get addicted to suits. Very expensive hobby =P

szw
11-15-2005, 05:27 PM
Get on a plane to HK and get some custom made.

ca2p3r
11-15-2005, 05:28 PM
:werd: henry singer!

er theres this other place, right off 17th ave...you turn at the "st marys" church ... ughhh ... its right there anyway! really nice boss suits.

sputnik
11-15-2005, 05:30 PM
For $1000-1500 I would get it made-to-measure.

You will get a better fitting suit with the fabrics and cut of your choice.

Holt is probably the worst place to shop. Unless you are a label-whore you will pretty much get ignored and brushed off. If you need to buy a suit off the rack (due to time constraints) go to Henry Singer or O'Connors.

Toms-SC
11-15-2005, 05:30 PM
O Conners for sure! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: They did a great job and getting me fitted and prepped. They spent about two hours with me trying on different shirts/ties and suits till we found the perfect combo.

t-im
11-15-2005, 05:32 PM
I wouldn't just go to one place to find a suit...everywhere has a slightly diff selection.

I have a few made to measure's because it's really hard to find suits that really fit me (34R)..and I don't like to "hem down" a 36R unless I really have to.

And of course i'm sure you know, but each brand of suit has slightly different fits..soo try everything applicable on...

3G
11-15-2005, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Ben
I've bought mine @ Holt Renfrew and Henry Singer in TD Square.

My next suit would be custom taylored however. Not just for that "perfect" fit, but because I had such a shitty experience @ Holt Renfrew that I refuse to spend another dime there.

Originally posted by sputnik
For $1000-1500 I would get it made-to-measure.

You will get a better fitting suit with the fabrics and cut of your choice.

Holt is probably the worst place to shop. Unless you are a label-whore you will pretty much get ignored and brushed off. If you need to buy a suit off the rack (due to time constraints) go to Henry Singer or O'Connors.

Holt is gay, I went there to look for a suit and not one person approached me , Stay away from them :thumbsdow

Celica TVS3
11-15-2005, 06:53 PM
Yeah,

I would stay away from the designer brand names and go to a tailor. The highend designers are selling the same mass produced crap as anyother store. Having said that I wear Nautica suits from the bay ;)

Does anyone know of a good local tailor?

FiveFreshFish
11-15-2005, 06:54 PM
Supreme Men's Wear. http://www.smwl.com/

statick
11-15-2005, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Ben
...but because I had such a shitty experience @ Holt Renfrew that I refuse to spend another dime there.

Hey i'm just curious, but what happened there? I've gotten pretty decent service whenever i've been there:dunno:

SikAssR1
11-15-2005, 07:36 PM
Booo for Holt

yay for Harry, I have a couple of friends who work there and always tell me that they get many unhappy Holt customers that shop with them instead.

RX-7_TWINTURBO
11-15-2005, 07:47 PM
james & dickson will custom make a 3 piece suit for you for around your price range.

Raz2
11-15-2005, 07:49 PM
I got a few suits for 20 dollars at some of the 2nd hand stores around town, spent another 20 dollars on each suit for alterations to fit me perfectly ;)

- Rasmus

djayz
11-15-2005, 08:00 PM
Thers a store in TD called PinStripe...bought a suit there for i think $180 and got a free shirt,tie,socks,belt,and shoes.
they have quite a large selection and service is good
nothing in your price range however there might be something you like for cheaper

USHER
11-15-2005, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Celica TVS3

Does anyone know of a good local tailor?

yes im in need of a tailor also

rc2002
11-15-2005, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by szw
Get on a plane to HK and get some custom made.

:werd: Or China is even better. Complete custom taylored suit for less than $100cdn.

Ajay
11-15-2005, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by t-im

and why set a price range like that - I think it's better to find a suit based on what you like vs. pure price.

:werd:

Better to have a suit that you actually like rather than having a suit based on it's price tag. I personally don't like the $2K Prada suits some of my friends have cause I don't personally like them. Just like they don't like my Hugo or even the Kenneth Cole's from the Bay.

It's gotta look good then determine the price.

Ben
11-15-2005, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by statick

Hey i'm just curious, but what happened there? I've gotten pretty decent service whenever i've been there:dunno:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28057

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66918

Point made.

GTS Jeff
11-15-2005, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by szw
Get on a plane to HK and get some custom made. :werd:

Buy a ticket to Thailand and have them custom tailor you a suit while ripping the style off of an expensive brand name. It'll cost like $200cad if you bargain super hard.

Nothing beats the awesomeness of a custom tailored suit.

afrotl
11-16-2005, 02:59 PM
i will say go to a store right opposite chinook called GQ fashions IT is right in the same complex as the Red lobster...pm me for more details. He can get you nice suits from New york. I got my New years Suit from there...from top hat to shoes including socks, tie shirt and a 3 piece suit for a very good price.

el-nino
11-16-2005, 03:02 PM
dude, I got the perfect suit. whats your suit size!!! its a dolce and gabanna suit retails for 1600 bux. I can do it for around 1200. pm me if you are interested.

AllGoNoShow
11-16-2005, 04:15 PM
Not to be a donwer here but I don't see the need to spend $1000-$1500 on a suit. I got mine from Moores, fits good, tailered to fit me, compltete for liek $400 or something. Many styles and sizes

lastprodigy
11-16-2005, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
Not to be a donwer here but I don't see the need to spend $1000-$1500 on a suit. I got mine from Moores, fits good, tailered to fit me, compltete for liek $400 or something. Many styles and sizes

If you have never worn a 1K suit, then theres no need for one. But obviosuly your tastes havent matured yet.

stevieo
11-16-2005, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by lastprodigy

If you have never worn a 1K suit, then theres no need for one. But obviosuly your tastes havent matured yet.

matured... haha wtf

AllGoNoShow
11-16-2005, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by lastprodigy

Nope can't say I have.
Don't know if thats a personal attack but for my age I have a very mature taste compared to others. I just don't see why someone would spend over a grand on a suit, quite possibly just for a name. Just trying to figure it out

lastprodigy
11-16-2005, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow

Nope can't say I have.
Don't know if thats a personal attack but for my age I have a very mature taste compared to others. I just don't see why someone would spend over a grand on a suit, quite possibly just for a name. Just trying to figure it out

It wasnt an attack, it was a simple statement. Im not 30 or 18 for that matter. In the same sense you can say if you have only have driven a civic and like it, and never a BMW, you dont know what youre missing ;)..Right? Its all relative!

AllGoNoShow
11-16-2005, 11:23 PM
mhmh I guess, maybe I should go 1k suit hunting after christmas and figure it out :P

in*10*se
11-17-2005, 09:34 AM
honestly... until u have a real f/t job... don't bother getting a suit over 1k...

really now... what's the point of having an armani suit that's 2k doing interviews, when your interviewer or boss doesn't even have a suit over 1k? They all know that unless you're a drug dealer or have only one suit, that mommy and daddy's money bought you it.

At the age 18-22, god knows i didn't have money for that shit... why bother at that age? u'll wear a 1k suit maybe twice a year.

rockym20
11-17-2005, 10:10 AM
There is no need to get a suit that is that expensive. I usually go to Macleod Bros in Willow Park Village. They have nice, hand-tailored suits for $600-$800 (and sometimes cheaper when on sale). One thing you guys should know is that most of the suits in North America, even supposedly European made ones like Armani and Hugo Boss, come from a few factories in Montreal. They just use slightly different fabrics for the various brands. The manufacturing is no different. However, make sure they are hand tailored. If you go to someplace like Moores, the suits are so cheap because the fabric is cheap and the factory will cut the fabric for like 30 coats at the same time (in a big stack). So, of course the quality of the cut won't be as good as if they are cut individually. Its also why you can go there and have two suits of the same size fit differently. If you aren't a brand whore, you can get a suit that is just as high of quality as a big brand name for a fraction of the price.

Pacman
11-17-2005, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by rockym20
One thing you guys should know is that most of the suits in North America, even supposedly European made ones like Armani and Hugo Boss, come from a few factories in Montreal. They just use slightly different fabrics for the various brands. The manufacturing is no different.

Is that what the guys at McLeod Bros told you?

My uncle owns Formans Mens Wear, and I have helped him out on a part time basis for the past 14 years selling suits for him.

I can assure you, none of the Hugo Boss, Pal Zileri, Zegna, Strellson, Canali, Brioni and other high end hand made suits are made anywhere in North America and are all made at factories owned by the respective companies, which are usually located in Italy or somewhere else in Europe. The only example of this that I can remember is during the late 90's, Versace suits were being made somewhere in the United States. We have never carried Versace at Formans, so I'm not sure if this is still the case or not.

Strellson and Boss will sell in the $800 to $1,500 price range and, although they use great fabrics, there is very little "hand tailoring" that goes into the garment.

Zegna, Pal Zileri, Armani sell in the $1,800 to $2,400 range and there some hand finishing of the product, but the major parts of the suit are still made by machines

When you start getting into Canali, Brioni, Zenga "hand made" then you are getting suits that are 100% hand made without any machines at all. THey sell in the $4,000 and up category.

Is there a difference between a $1,200 Hugo Boss suit and a $4,000 Brioni suit? You bet....but 90% of suit buyers out there wont' notice it or simply don't care.

I personally don't care and I"m quite happy wearing a Strellson or Hugo Boss suit (I mainly wear these because I get them at "cost" which makes the price very attractive). I find those two brands of suits fit me well. I don't seem to fit well into suits that are made for the typical North American male, as those suits tend to be big and boxy.

If I was looking for a suit for an inexpensive price I would go to the Bay and wait for them to have one of their monthly sales. There you can get a Tommy Hilfiger, Jones New York suit on sale for about $200 and it would be much better quality than a $200 Moores suit.

Buying suits is like buying anything else. If you want the latest trend or something that is a little different, you have to pay for it.

rockym20
11-17-2005, 11:38 AM
Actually, it wasn't the guys from Macleod Bros who told me this. I've seen it on shows like Venture, and some of the clients of the bank I work for are, in fact, some of these very factories. While I haven't toured them, I have co-workers who have. Maybe Hugo Boss isn't done in Montreal, but a surpising number of major brands are. All the brand does is ship the fabric and design the suit. They usually don't own the factories that actually make them. They are not going to tell the retailer this as people will begin to say "Why in the hell am I paying as much for something that is made in the same factory and in the same way as a suit that is half the price?"

Most of the fashion industry is just a big scam. It caters to people with a lack of self-esteem & feel like they need to wear a certain brand to make them feel good about theirselves. The fact is that the $400 Seven jeans are probably made in the same plant in Indonesia (or someplace like that) that the $20 Wal-Mart ones are. Sure the material and stitching is a bit nicer and they already pre-rip the jeans so you don't have to do it yourself, so it maybe cost them an $10 or $20 to make it. But it definitely didn't cost an extra $300. Suits are no different.

You are right on the hand tailored thing though. What I meant is that the fabric should be individually cut, not cut in a big stack. At this price range, all of the fabrics will be machine cut, but I doubt anyone could tell the difference between hand cut and machine cut.

My advice is this - ignore the brand & the price. Find something you like that looks good, feels good, is well made, and fits you right. You will never go wrong that way.

BTW - here is a profile of a couple of the Montreal manufacturers:

Peerless Clothing

Alvin Segal, chairperson and CEO of Peerless Clothing, has always put his faith in technology and training.

When the Free Trade Agreement opened the U.S. market to Canadian manufacturers in 1989, Segal seized the chance. He mortgaged his home to finance construction of a 500,000-square-foot factory on Pie IX Blvd.

It is the largest and most efficient wool-suit facility in North America, turning out as many as 30,000 fine tailored suits and 40,000 pairs of trousers each week. His clients include Ralph Lauren, Sean John, FUBU and Calvin Klein.

UTEX Fashion Group

Founded in 1944 by brothers Irving and Harry Gurberg as Utility Textile Industries, a maker of western-style sports shirts, the company has evolved into a premier maker of men's wear and outerwear for men and women for designers like Perry Ellis and Hilary Radley. At its peak, the company employed as many as 1,200 at a factory in Victoriaville

89coupe
11-17-2005, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by QuA
Looking for something nice. Not sure where to go.

Why the fuck do you want to waist $1500 on a suite? Are you a high profile millionaire who needs to impress his clients?

Give your head a shake, what a waist of fucking money :rolleyes:

Pacman
11-17-2005, 11:56 AM
I'm familar with Peerless and they make good products. We used to carry some Peerless products at Formans many years ago under a "house label".

Pacman
11-17-2005, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe

Why the fuck do you want to waist $1500 on a suite? Are you a high profile millionaire who needs to impress his clients?

Give your head a shake, what a waist of fucking money :rolleyes:

I'm sure some people would ask the same question about your car.
Why would you "waist" so much money turbocharing your mustang? Are you a professional race car driver who is planning to enter your car in LeMans?

89coupe
11-17-2005, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Pacman

I'm sure some people would ask the same question about your car.
Why would you "waist" so much money turbocharing your mustang? Are you a professional race car driver who is planning to enter your car in LeMans?

I guess.

I know that I would get a lot more enjoyment from the money I have spent on my car then a $1500 suite:dunno:

To each his own I guess.

USHER
11-17-2005, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Pacman

I can assure you, none of the Hugo Boss, Pal Zileri, Zegna, Strellson, Canali, Brioni and other high end hand made suits are made anywhere in North America and are all made at factories owned by the respective companies, which are usually located in Italy or somewhere else in Europe.

i thought some hugo boss suits were made in usa?

Pacman
11-17-2005, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by USHER

I think there were some suits that were being made in a Boss owned factory in the U.S, but I'm not sure if they still are or not. The quality of the U.S boss made suits would be the same as the euro suits, as they were using the same fabrics and machines as they use in their other facilities around the world. I seem to recall boss having some production places located in eastern europe as well.

bimmer330
11-17-2005, 04:58 PM
Lets get this thread back on topic!
The guy asked WHERE to get a nice suit from, not what everyone thought a "reasonable" price for a suit was!

Anyways i would suggest either Harry Rosen in TD Square or Henry Singer in Bankers hall.
Just be aware that the guys at Harry Rosen are a little more pushy.
And stay away from HOLT!!!!! Bunch of freakin unprofessional idiots

Def_3
11-17-2005, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by ca2p3r
:werd: henry singer!

er theres this other place, right off 17th ave...you turn at the "st marys" church ... ughhh ... its right there anyway! really nice boss suits. 4th street, on the right heading towards elbow, Henry (no its not singer)

Diesel
11-17-2005, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Def_3
4th street, on the right heading towards elbow, Henry (no its not singer)

its managed/owned by the singer group - i think Jordan Singer is the boss over there...son of henry....nice nice BOSS stuff

el-nino
11-17-2005, 05:37 PM
when buying a suit I try not to look at prices. Suits can go anywhere from 100 bux to over 2gs. The important part of buying a suit is asking yourself "will I get good use out of it?" LONGEVITY is the key to buying suits. On top of that, yes you can buy a nice suit for 400 bux but there is a reason why suits go up to 2gs and over, the answer is simple. Quality. I have gone through many suits and i do prefer the more expensive ones not JUST because of brand name but because of quality, fabric and looks. I also suggest Henry on 4th, they have some beatifull suits but there are so many places to find amazing fitting suits (O-ZEKI, Henry, Holt Renfrew just to name a few). Good luck with the suit. I also suggest in looking at Phillipe Dubuc. His suits are absolutely stunning. www.dubucstyle.com I truly believe he is one of the best canadian designers out there!

ZorroAMG
11-18-2005, 01:55 PM
Harry Rosen = Bullshit store, service and tailoring

Henry Singer = the best in town, period.

Originally posted by Diesel

its managed/owned by the singer group - i think Jordan Singer is the boss over there...son of henry....nice nice BOSS stuff

LOL, nice try at the deduction but his father's name is not Henry......

Henry is owned/operated by Jordie though...

FatboyTheHungry
11-18-2005, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by USHER

Maybe, but all of my Boss suits and belts are made in Italy, although I have some shirts and pants made in Italy, Hong Kong and Indonesia. All of my Boss with black labels are made in Italy. Hugo Boss Golf (Green label) and Sport (Orange label) seems to be from other places.

I think a person who just wants a great fitting suit and doesn't care about label should have one custom made. I just happen to have a fetish for Boss clothing.

robpark
11-18-2005, 06:07 PM
Picked up a Hugo Boss suit from Harry Rosen. One of the BEST shopping/service experiences of my life (so far). Ask for Scott Johnson if you want dedicated/excellent service.

ringmaster
11-18-2005, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Harry Rosen = Bullshit store, service and tailoring

Henry Singer = the best in town, period.

Just wondering, but what have you got against Harry Rosen?

Originally posted by robpark
Picked up a Hugo Boss suit from Harry Rosen. One of the BEST shopping/service experiences of my life (so far). Ask for Scott Johnson if you want dedicated/excellent service.

I would also recomend Scott, he is a great guy and has a good eye for style/fitment when it comes to suits.

irfaan
11-20-2005, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by djayz
Thers a store in TD called PinStripe...bought a suit there for i think $180 and got a free shirt,tie,socks,belt,and shoes.
they have quite a large selection and service is good
nothing in your price range however there might be something you like for cheaper

I'm sorry man, but the quality of their suits is dreadful.