PDA

View Full Version : Official DSM Thread.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Z24_3.1.
11-15-2005, 06:09 PM
i just want to see what they people on beyond think of the 1990 dsm what are your likes and dislikes?

lastprodigy
11-15-2005, 06:26 PM
pros
awd, turbo, mod-a-bility

cons
dsm reliability, face it anything older than gen 2 is UGLY!

Since you have an RS none of the pros really apply to you unfortunately. :thumbsup:

Z24_3.1.
11-15-2005, 06:30 PM
yeah :( ima get a 97 AWD talon turbo next year cant wait

rony_espana
11-15-2005, 06:32 PM
A big downside is reliability, I owned one for about a year and it was a nightmare! It was a 92!

Supa Dexta
11-15-2005, 07:03 PM
My buddy has a '90, and has owned it for like 8 yrs I think, never winter driven, and up until the last yr or so was only run in stock form for the summers. He's put quite a bit into the last yr and it's a blast now, can break it loose in any gear and basically any speed.. I think it's currently in the 320-350hp range, and it going to get bumped up again this winter.. He had it painted top quality, in black with a couple of tasteful ghost flames, it looks really good, on 16's. But then theres the interior, ugly 1990 blocky design.... If you find a low milage, in wicked shape and keep on top of maitenance, then yeah they can be good fun cars...

:)

90Tegra
11-15-2005, 07:35 PM
my buddy used to have one. his was fast but he also went through 2 engines in a couple years.

talonboi
11-15-2005, 07:58 PM
ok well heres my input...

i currently drive a 1990 talon tsi,

pros - awd turbo, a good car to mod. a bigger stock turbo then the 2gs

cons - timing belts are weak, balance shafts are crap, transfercase leaks (recalled) and on 2g talons, proned to crankwalk = need new engine

my first motor i spun a bearing, 2nd motor is running ok besides the lifter ticking that comes and goes.

the turbos are good, and strong

on awd's dont expect the clutch to last long. if your launching it hard

i've owned my car since i was 16, im now 21, ive gone through 2 engines, 2 turbos (i upgraded) 2 clutches (oem) 5 alternators (bad grounding wire of stereo)

the forst motor had bad oil pressure so i spun a bearing, the turbos i upgraded becuase i recieved a evo3 16g for bday from my gf, 5 alternators were caused by a bad ground. the clutched wore out fast becuase i had a bigger turbo that my clutch cant handle the launches, but i stll drive with the same clutch and it pulls fine

so basically, i havent had any major mechanical problems with my car besides the first engine. if you maintain the dsm, it'll be a very good car to own, but if you neglect the dsm, it'll be a high maintanace blonde like paris hilton

dsmturbo
11-15-2005, 08:34 PM
:thumbsup: Dsm's Rock..it's young kids that beat the crap out of them and don't maintain them. Sure, they can be finniky and require major maintenance. The problem is that most people don't know how to fix them and use inferior aftermarket major part components.

Do not use aftermarket parts, especially timing stuff

Z24_3.1.
11-16-2005, 01:06 AM
yeah right now my problem with the Rs is the tranny it only has 159KM on it but the guy i bought it off used to drive it a lil hard but im going to get the tranny fixed sometime next month for now im driving my sisters car :D lol but i do love the 97 awd i think its great to drive in winter and all around and thanks for post what u guys think anyone else had a problem with there trannys?

EK 2.0
11-16-2005, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by dsmturbo
:thumbsup: Dsm's Rock..it's young kids that beat the crap out of them and don't maintain them. Sure, they can be finniky and require major maintenance. The problem is that most people don't know how to fix them and use inferior aftermarket major part components.

Agreed...man I miss Cyclone...:cry:

But now, because I am a Honda guy. I have to say...pfffft, DSM's suck-ass...

Go4Long
11-16-2005, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by dsmturbo

unless it's a kevlar timing belt :D (not joking actually...they do make em, I've got one on my new motor)
the styling on the 92-94 is better than the 91 and older models in my opinion, and if you get a 92 you get a 6 bolt motor(which you want) and a 4 bolt rear end(which you also want). everything after 92 gets a 7 bolt motor which is where the crank walking issue comes in.
basically if you modify the car correctly they can make big power, stock internals will handle over 20psi with proper fueling and cooling...just make sure to take care of your timing belt and balance shaft belt.

heavyD
11-16-2005, 09:04 AM
DSM's can be reliable if taken care of properly. They do require more maintenance than your average car but we are talking about a 10 - 15 year old turbocharged car so of course it won't have Honda N/A reliability. More turbocharged DSM's were sold than turbocharged MR2's, Supras, RX-7, 300ZX, Stealth's, combined so of course you are going to hear about more problems with a car that was sold in greater numbers.

The key is to look for a clean unmodded DSM. I purchased my 1992 Talon AWD bone stock with 150000 kms and it felt tighter than alot of newer cars I've owned including my Hondas. It's still running like a top for my dad.

Talonstylz
11-16-2005, 10:16 AM
i have been driving my 91 eclipse awd for 2 years now, it was making 296 fwhp, when it first fired up, i bought it with a blown engine and put in a used engine with the timing belt job done before it went in, it dynoed at well over 320 fwhp, the only think i ever had to replace was the battery. So in essence of reliablity, its all in how you treat your car, if your dumb and dont know how to look after it, you'll be going threw enginges like there nothing, and should probably stick to a stock civic. As it wont give you the same problems as a turbo vehicle.

403Gemini
11-16-2005, 10:19 AM
every friend ive known whos had a pre-95 talon has had nothing but horror stories.

and yes thats more than 1 person ;) thats like 6 people

A790
11-16-2005, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
every friend ive known whos had a pre-95 talon has had nothing but horror stories.

My 92 Talon ES was nothing but a pit for money. It was horrible. A clutch, 4 alternators, valve covers, this, that... god I bought it for $5000 some time ago, and sold it for $1000 befcause I just wanted it gone (oh, and the tranny went).

heavyD
11-16-2005, 01:19 PM

If they are all under 25 years of age and the cars were modded. I would say your friends played important parts in these horror stories. They don't make a good first car.

talonboi
11-16-2005, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

If they are all under 25 years of age and the cars were modded. I would say your friends played important parts in these horror stories. They don't make a good first car.

whoa stereotype:whipped:

heavyD
11-16-2005, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by talonboi
whoa stereotype:whipped:

Sorry. While there are some young guys that are really into cars and know their stuff. Most young guys (especially ones that didn't earn the vehicle with their own money) will bag the shit out of a performance car and when it breaks down it's the car's fault. You should see how Hollywood treated his first car.:cry:

403Gemini
11-16-2005, 01:31 PM

nope, one of them only lowered with rims, nothing but disaster. he HATES his car, same deal at A790, will probably end up selling just to get rid of the money pit

another one, yea he was a suckah and didnt know what he was doing. became a money pit, he sold it to get a truck

other friend drove it as a daily driver, was only the ESI i believe, and it failed him every 3-4 months. sold it to get a suzuki swift (I laughed when i heard that haha)

and then of course arif, loved his car, but the biggest problem was: DSM. natural answer? join the honda crew

do the 95+'s have the same problem as the early gens?:thumbsup:

talonboi
11-16-2005, 01:35 PM

Sorry. While there are some young guys that are really into cars and know their stuff. Most young guys (especially ones that didn't earn the vehicle with their own money) will bag the shit out of a performance car and when it breaks down it's the car's fault. You should see how Hollywood treated his first car.:cry:
dont worry i know what your saying. im under 25, but maybe im a small percentage of dsm owners that are under 25 that actually take care of the car:D

403Gemini
11-16-2005, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by talonboi

dont worry i know what your saying. im under 25, but maybe im a small percentage of dsm owners that are under 25 that actually take care of the car:D

and thats the problem now :( you cant buy one without being to worried of what its been through

like christ, i woulda never bought arifs car.... ;)

talonboi
11-16-2005, 01:37 PM

do the 95+'s have the same problem as the early gens?:thumbsup:
the 2g talons are more proned to crankwalk,

95EagleAWD
11-16-2005, 02:41 PM
1990 DSMs are kind of oddballs. If you want a 1GA, buy a 91. It's more common and easier to work on.

95s and up DO have a crankwalk problem. Not all of them, not many of them actually, but some of them do (mine did). It's not a dealbreaker by any means, but something to be aware of.

Reliability isn't as bad as most people make it out to be. Mine hasn't been that bad for the mods and performance I'm getting out of it. (Full EVO16 setup...) I'm happy with the car.

And for those who think the 1st gens are ugly, I can't agree with you. They look badass.

Besides, chicks dig pop-ups... :poosie:

talonboi
11-16-2005, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD
And for those who think the 1st gens are ugly, I can't agree with you. They look badass.

Besides, chicks dig pop-ups... :poosie:
my pop ups are stuck, so their open 24/7:banghead:

ole dsm
11-16-2005, 03:58 PM
just about everything in a dsm is costly to repair and breaks often(like 2-3times more then the average car), what is even worse is, the things that break are not just small things like a switch or a knob or whiper motor, things like trannies and transfercases turbo's and heads long before they should. in my opinion the dsm is fast piece of shit.

2.0turbo
11-16-2005, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Z24_3.1.
yeah right now my problem with the Rs is the tranny it only has 159KM on it but the guy i bought it off used to drive it a lil hard but im going to get the tranny fixed sometime next month for now im driving my sisters car :D lol but i do love the 97 awd i think its great to drive in winter and all around and thanks for post what u guys think anyone else had a problem with there trannys?

If you don't want anymore tranny problems, don't buy a 97. They have the worst second gear as it is not double syncroed and has the same design as the 90 and 91 awd. Those are the only years that the turbo tranny was not double syncroed in second. If you would like to lower your tranny problems, buy a fwd turbo. I have never encountered one with a grind of any year. I had a 93 fwd making 280 fwhp with a heavy clutch and never had one problem with the tranny. I also have a 1990 turbo laser that shifts into gear like a hot knife through butter.

There is now computer or anykind of a system like the new awd cars have to keep you from launching the shit out of it and spinning the tires. So of course people do it and things break. On the other hand, I have seen many races with near stock dsm's racing much faster and powerful cars also equiped with awd and have yet to see any of these said cars launch faster that a dsm. For the last 4 or 5 years, I have had nothing but dsms. I think they are great cars and reliability is really not any worse than anything else in the same kindof class power wise. It's all about the preventative maintanace and not having idoits working on them.

95EagleAWD
11-16-2005, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by ole dsm
just about everything in a dsm is costly to repair and breaks often(like 2-3times more then the average car), what is even worse is, the things that break are not just small things like a switch or a knob or whiper motor, things like trannies and transfercases turbo's and heads long before they should. in my opinion the dsm is fast piece of shit.

:bullshit:

Any evidence or experience to back this up, and not just heresay?

You sound like everyone who's never owned one.

Go4Long
11-16-2005, 05:40 PM
^^or someone that has no idea how often any other 15 year old turbo car will break when you bag on it or how expensive parts are...

Z24_3.1.
11-16-2005, 05:45 PM
WOW this is great lol so many people in this :D haha

403Gemini
11-16-2005, 05:56 PM

:bullshit:

Any evidence or experience to back this up, and not just heresay?

You sound like everyone who's never owned one.

theres a reason why some people avoid them like STD's ;) ever think of that?

Go4Long
11-16-2005, 06:02 PM
the weird thing is I am defending a car that I have personally blown up. in july I did this to my motor:
http://members.shaw.ca/steveis/piston.jpg

but I will say with 100% certainty that that was my fault, and no, the timing belt didn't go, a valve spring failed. I think people get the wrong impression when hearing horror stories about a lot of cars. The DSM's were a very popular vehicle through their entire life, look at how many talons/lasers/eclipses(to a lesser extent) you see cruisin around. this is a 15 year old car and you can still hardly drive 5 blocks in the city without seeing 1 or 2. I have heard horror stories about every kind of car there is, it's all a matter of how it's treated. and the fact that there's so many DSM's around makes the frequency of stories go up.
with an AWD car there's a lot more parts that you can break, and people tend to think that you should be able to launch at redline consistantly and have no problems. that's not what an AWD system is for. think of it like this, in any 2wd car if you shift at a high rpm if the power is to much for the car to put down you can spin the tires, it absorbs the shock to the parts a bit. an AWD car doesn't have that option(until you get really crazy with it), so every time you shift hard, or launch, all that force is transfered into the car through various parts, and shit breaks.
then to top it off, you take that information, and ad to it the fact that it's damn near impossible to find a Talon/laser that hasn't had the boost jacked up on it, and yeah...there's a lot of things that could go wrong. try putting boost on a 15 year old honda without doing anything else to it, let me know how that goes for you.

EK 2.0
11-16-2005, 08:01 PM
Honda's Rule...DSM's Drool...(oil, that is)...haha...;)

Z24_3.1.
11-17-2005, 01:53 AM
^ lol im in the middle of my project i have a 1990 plymouth laser RS like it says but i blew tranny and i was tryin to be cool when i 1st got it and kinda was drifting in the alley and hit a rock messed up the front bumper so i got a new one and then i was planning on painting the car the same week i finished alll the body work ready for paint :( tranny goes so im waiting to get some money to do the tranny but it should be done by february ill get some pics of it now. but after i get it done now more bashing on the car haha learned my leason on that one...

Z24_3.1.
11-17-2005, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
Honda's Rule...DSM's Drool...(oil, that is)...haha...;)

honda rules but dsm IS BETTER lol

:goflames:

Z24_3.1.
11-17-2005, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by Go4Long
the weird thing is I am defending a car that I have personally blown up. in july I did this to my motor:
http://members.shaw.ca/steveis/piston.jpg

but I will say with 100% certainty that that was my fault, and no, the timing belt didn't go, a valve spring failed. I think people get the wrong impression when hearing horror stories about a lot of cars. The DSM's were a very popular vehicle through their entire life, look at how many talons/lasers/eclipses(to a lesser extent) you see cruisin around. this is a 15 year old car and you can still hardly drive 5 blocks in the city without seeing 1 or 2. I have heard horror stories about every kind of car there is, it's all a matter of how it's treated. and the fact that there's so many DSM's around makes the frequency of stories go up.
with an AWD car there's a lot more parts that you can break, and people tend to think that you should be able to launch at redline consistantly and have no problems. that's not what an AWD system is for. think of it like this, in any 2wd car if you shift at a high rpm if the power is to much for the car to put down you can spin the tires, it absorbs the shock to the parts a bit. an AWD car doesn't have that option(until you get really crazy with it), so every time you shift hard, or launch, all that force is transfered into the car through various parts, and shit breaks.
then to top it off, you take that information, and ad to it the fact that it's damn near impossible to find a Talon/laser that hasn't had the boost jacked up on it, and yeah...there's a lot of things that could go wrong. try putting boost on a 15 year old honda without doing anything else to it, let me know how that goes for you.

:werd: how did u do that to your engine?

Go4Long
11-17-2005, 10:07 AM

:werd: how did u do that to your engine?

hehe...I was actually on cruise control when it happened on the way back in to calgary at the conrich turn off. We checked the motor over when we pulled it out and it just didn't make much sense to us, the timing was correct, everything else was intact.

when we pulled it apart the only thing we could figure is that the valve spring itself failed. there is nothing holding the valve spring down in the head, but it is still in the fully open position. so as with any zero clearance motor, open valve + moving piston = ouch. There's marks in the top of the piston from that valve bouncing around a bunch of times after it snapped off then it wedged itself between the spark plug and the piston top and proceeded to get shoved into the piston, the only thing that stopped it from going in further was the rod(man was it a bitch to get the piston off the rod). I'm keeping the piston as a souvenier, might mount it on something with the spark plug(shattered the electrode portion and hit the spark plug with enough force to cross thread it inside the head)...

heavyD
11-17-2005, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by ole dsm

DSM parts are cheap through Mitsubish. AWD is harder on a transmission than 2WD. Turbo's & heads? The 1G turbo is a mitsubishi 14B on 5-speeds and it's about the most reliable turbo you can get. 2G's get the crappy Garrett T25 which has typical Garrett reliability which isn't that great but that is a Garrett thing. What type of head problems?

IMO you don't know how to maintain a car if you've gone through so many problems as things like turbo failure are usually the owner's fault for not changing the oil at proper intervals or not idling the car before you shut it off. DSM's aren't for the maintenance ignorant owner. Most of the transmission problems were related to the AWD verisons as this is to be expected with a powerful AWD car. Subaru WRX tranny's are even more fragile. The transfer cases were recalled so that problem was taken care of.

I get tired of these kids whining about their broken DSM that is over 10 years old and been through probably three or more owners. Most of them have been bagged more than most vehicles due to their low entry price and easy availability and high performance potential. They aren't like Supra Turbo's, 300ZX''s, or 3000GT's that have been garaged half their life and babied. They are driven all year round an most of them hard. Sure they aren't perfect but most of the blown engines and trannies were from people increasing the boost without proper tuning and AWD launches. Some of the questions over the years I've seen on the dsmtuners forums made me feel sorry for the car.:(

talonboi
11-17-2005, 02:28 PM

What type of head problems?

well in my car the only head problem i have is, the lifter knock...it comes and it goes. kinda annoying

b_t
11-17-2005, 03:18 PM

those people are usually a few seconds and over a dozen mph off the pace off an average DSM and insist on comparing economy cars (designed to be reliable) to factory turbo sports cars (designed to be fast).

Go4Long made a good point, DSMs are AWD so every time you launch them hard, you wear through them just a bit more since the tires won't spin. I have never heard of a Honda, or 2WD DSM, killing a Quaife but an AWD DSM can only get about 30-40 hard launches on a Quaife diff before it starts to crack and eventually breaks (and Quaifes are the ultimate LSD), so really the stock transmission and transfer case have no chance.
And everybody on this forum worships the Evo, which is about the closest thing to a 1G DSM available today, so only God knows why they hate on them so much.

95EagleAWD
11-17-2005, 04:04 PM

Because they think Honda is the import God?

If I ever own a Honda, it'll be mid-engined and RWD.

Other than that, I'll stick with my DSM.

403Gemini
11-17-2005, 04:30 PM
I'm not saying theres anything wrong with DSMS, they are phenominal fast cars.

But they do have reliability issues, but that is because they are an older turbo car. Hell i was gonna get one, until all of my friends complained about the same thing:

the transmission.

great project car, and a reliable car if you just drive it casually and dont race around, unfortunatly the problem with finding a nice 1g is just like finding a nice 2g integra. most of them have been bagged to shit from high school kids who dont care about the car because mommy and daddy bought it for them.

if the cars been looked after, definatly worthwhile.

edit:

and im not a fan of the evo. i appreciate it, and id take it if somebody gave it to me, but i dont sport wood over it ;)

Z24_3.1.
11-17-2005, 06:21 PM
like i have a buddy with a 1990 turbo talon its got like 240km on it runs like it was brand new he babies that think like crazy the best part is He just put a BOV :D sounds crazy but yeah im goin out side right now to get pics of my car right now

Z24_3.1.
11-17-2005, 06:32 PM
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/9244/hpim08722sl.th.jpg (http://img237.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hpim08722sl.jpg)

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/4761/hpim08735jy.th.jpg (http://img237.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hpim08735jy.jpg)

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/637/hpim08753tm.th.jpg (http://img237.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hpim08753tm.jpg)

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/666/hpim08767ru.th.jpg (http://img237.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hpim08767ru.jpg)

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/4230/hpim08774iy.th.jpg (http://img237.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hpim08774iy.jpg)

ok there they are i know it doesnt like good now but i will be getting it alll nice lol

Z24_3.1.
11-17-2005, 06:33 PM
damn they dont work :(

403Gemini
11-17-2005, 06:34 PM
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/6523/hpim08728st.jpg

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5007/hpim08734ac.jpg

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/16/hpim08751bb.jpg

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/7113/hpim08762wn.jpg

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/407/hpim08770et.jpg

hopefully that fixes it

lastprodigy
11-17-2005, 06:36 PM
painting it soon i hope

Z24_3.1.
11-17-2005, 06:40 PM
^ yeah :D ima do it red and top/hood/trunk black :D

403Gemini
11-17-2005, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by lastprodigy
painting it soon i hope

shit no! keep it an ugly sleeper hahaha

Z24_3.1.
11-17-2005, 06:41 PM
LOL nah im goood hahaha

Z24_3.1.
11-17-2005, 06:41 PM
oh also im only 15 :P lol i bought this car in the summer when i worked i got it for a crazy assssss deal then 2 weeks later tranny gone

lastprodigy
11-17-2005, 06:42 PM
i guess its ugly anywyas....keep it in primer....

Z24_3.1.
11-17-2005, 06:44 PM
^ lol geeee thanks

Go4Long
11-17-2005, 07:34 PM
my car:
http://members.shaw.ca/steveis/talon.jpg

new toy I picked up today:
http://members.shaw.ca/steveis/turbo1.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/steveis/turbo2.jpg

EK 2.0
11-17-2005, 09:41 PM
I miss Cyclone...:cry:

Z24_3.1.
11-17-2005, 09:58 PM
go4long bro thats a nice ass car how much hp you got?

Talonstylz
11-17-2005, 10:43 PM
Heres my clipse, someone stole the kit so i had to put a quick cover on, dont make fun of the front bumper, i know it looks like ass.

http://www.nacdsm.org/gallery/d/4164-2/DSC05395.jpg
http://www.nacdsm.org/gallery/d/6880-2/IM000304.JPG
http://www.nacdsm.org/gallery/d/6889-2/IM000310.JPG

Atleast they left me with the back bumper, oh well, i didn't like the fron or sides that much anyway.

Z24_3.1.
11-17-2005, 10:45 PM
^ WOW lol that is very very nice man clean as helll i love the front nice smile haha

Z24_3.1.
11-18-2005, 12:09 AM
hey maybe next beyond meet all the guys with DSM's should meet before and go there :D

b_t
11-18-2005, 12:50 AM
would I fit in with a 2nd gen?:poosie:

Z24_3.1.
11-18-2005, 12:51 AM
LOL^

Z24_3.1.
11-18-2005, 12:52 AM
sure why not haha

403Gemini
11-18-2005, 01:01 AM
my car:
http://members.shaw.ca/steveis/talon.jpg

new toy I picked up today:
http://members.shaw.ca/steveis/turbo1.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/steveis/turbo2.jpg

you got a new cup holder! thats awesome!

Z24_3.1.
11-18-2005, 02:01 AM
^ LMAO

by the way love the Sig

Go4Long
11-18-2005, 12:31 PM
I have no idea how much HP I'm runnin, the block in the sig line is mine, fully built stroker, and the turbo is a 60-1, which in theory is capable of over 500 whp...should be fun once I get it running, I haven't driven my car since july:cry:

you got a new cup holder! thats awesome!

yeah...I always knew if I got a nice cup holder I could add tons of horse powa

b_t
11-18-2005, 12:33 PM
I have no idea how much HP I'm runnin, the block in the sig line is mine, fully built stroker, and the turbo is a 60-1, which in theory is capable of over 500 whp...should be fun once I get it running, I haven't driven my car since july:cry:

haha wow you kinda went nuts with your car. in comparison, my turbo is kinda tiny :D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Sakeido/DSCF2495.jpg

Talonstylz
11-18-2005, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by b_t

haha wow you kinda went nuts with your car. in comparison, my turbo is kinda tiny :D

t3/t4? what are the specs?

b_t
11-18-2005, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Talonstylz

t3/t4? what are the specs?

T3/T4 T04B v-trim compressor... 50 trim stage 1 wheel. something like that. Should be good for around 375whp going full bore on a 2.4 liter.

403Gemini
11-18-2005, 12:38 PM

yeah...I always knew if I got a nice cup holder I could add tons of horse powa

multipurposed cup holder ftw! :thumbsup:

Go4Long
11-18-2005, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by b_t

awwww...it's so cute :poosie: jokes...I've gone crazier than I ever intended to go on this car...I have worked 730 hours of overtime this year:banghead:

Originally posted by b_t

T3/T4 T04B v-trim compressor... 50 trim stage 1 wheel. something like that. Should be good for around 375whp going full bore on a 2.4 liter.

what a/r?

b_t
11-18-2005, 12:43 PM

awwww...it's so cute :poosie: jokes...I've gone crazier than I ever intended to go on this car...I have worked 730 hours of overtime this year:banghead:

what a/r?

.48 :cry:
want to get a turbonetics .63 turbine side when I can afford it, but those new ball bearing upgrades for T3/T4s are really tempting.. but I just picked up a TiAL and intercooler so I have no cash for awhile
730 hours of overtime?? Not bad :D that is a pretty serious work ethic you have

Go4Long
11-18-2005, 12:44 PM
yeah mines a full garrett with a .63 a/r(guessing almost identical to the turbonetics equivelant)

now someone buy my super 16G dammit:P

b_t
11-18-2005, 12:45 PM
yeah mines a full garrett with a .63 a/r(guessing almost identical to the turbonetics equivelant)

I'd like to get a Garrett .63 but haven't been able to find one, turbonetics wants $200usd for their turbine sides :nut: lot of money for cast iron

Your car is going to haul ass! have you got a nice mani to bolt up that turbo??

haha the Super 16G is the turbo that comes with the best turbo kit for my 2GNT, pr0 has one.. but I wanted to buck the trend so I'm sporting a custom kit :D

Go4Long
11-18-2005, 12:47 PM
just a ported 2g for now...it used to be on an EVO manifold in the last car it was in...but he didn't want to sell it for obvious reasons...so it's downgrading to my engine bay on a lowly 2g:P

b_t
11-18-2005, 12:48 PM
just a ported 2g for now...it used to be on an EVO manifold in the last car it was in...but he didn't want to sell it for obvious reasons...so it's downgrading to my engine bay on a lowly 2g:P

haha you've got a stroker though, that is worth more gearhead points :D

Go4Long
11-18-2005, 12:50 PM
he was running a better motor than mine too :P not at liberty to comment...but his talon is much faster than mine...

95EagleAWD
11-18-2005, 12:51 PM
Sick turbos... running a Full EVO setup here... (EVO16G, mani and o2 housing)

DSM meet? I'm totally there!

b_t
11-18-2005, 12:52 PM
he was running a better motor than mine too :P not at liberty to comment...but his talon is much faster than mine...

wow that is nuts :D
I have a friend out here with a '95 TSi with a stroker in it, he can't get it running quite right though so I haven't gotten a ride yet.. it will be outrageous when its done

b_t
11-18-2005, 12:53 PM
Sick turbos... running a Full EVO setup here... (EVO16G, mani and o2 housing)

DSM meet? I'm totally there!

next wednesday from the sounds of it, meet up, then cruise to the beyond meet.. where to meet before tho? then everyone can hear the sheer fury of an open downpipe ESi :D

Go4Long
11-18-2005, 12:55 PM
yeah, it's the last couple details that are always a pain in the ass in getting a project running...I am just piecing together the last few parts now...I am thinkin I need a better front mount than the one I ordered...so that will take some more time to get in...other than that we are just assembling stuff at this point...should be a fun winter beater :burnout:

b_t
11-18-2005, 12:58 PM
yeah, it's the last couple details that are always a pain in the ass in getting a project running...I am just piecing together the last few parts now...I am thinkin I need a better front mount than the one I ordered...so that will take some more time to get in...other than that we are just assembling stuff at this point...should be a fun winter beater :burnout:

no kidding
I've been running around with no wastegate since the actuator for the internal one I picked up does not fit, so my car will only boost 1 or 2 pounds going absolute full bore.. up a hill! :D and I keep selling everything else to get better stuff, so I am now waiting on a TiAL 38mm and my supra sidemount to get in so I can ditch my ghetto charge pipe. and I need a slim fan, and this and that and so on .. but projects are so worth it in the end :D

Go4Long
11-18-2005, 01:04 PM
I thought about going to an external gate...but my buddy talked me outta it...they're annoyingly loud, and it kinda takes away from the whole sleeper factor.
You'll be getting pretty close to the limits of that supra intercooler too...

b_t
11-18-2005, 01:06 PM
on my stock bottom end I have to run low boost, so the word was I was going to have problems with boost creep since the garrett internal gate sucks compared to the mitsu ones. the supra sidemount should be okay, the piping will almost perfectly line up with the Hahn sidemount that has both inlet and outlet on the same side, so that is my next big upgrade once I get this thing boosted with a proper exhaust :D

Z24_3.1.
11-18-2005, 03:59 PM
LOL WOOW turbos Left and Right haha anyways yeah that would be cool to go on the cruise but not till the spring time 2 reasons car is done yett and not old enough haha

Z24_3.1.
11-18-2005, 04:00 PM
Go4Long is the turbo ur selling is it a fulll kit? so i can turbo my RS?

Talonstylz
11-18-2005, 05:14 PM
I thought about going to an external gate...but my buddy talked me outta it...they're annoyingly loud, and it kinda takes away from the whole sleeper factor.
You'll be getting pretty close to the limits of that supra intercooler too...

Its only load if you dump it to the atmoshpere like mine, if you pipe it back into the exhaust system it will remain quite.

Z24_3.1.
11-18-2005, 05:15 PM
do any of u have BOV?

IF NOT GET ONE lol best part of the turbo

Talonstylz
11-18-2005, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by b_t

.48 :cry:
want to get a turbonetics .63 turbine side when I can afford it, but those new ball bearing upgrades for T3/T4s are really tempting.. but I just picked up a TiAL and intercooler so I have no cash for awhile
730 hours of overtime?? Not bad :D that is a pretty serious work ethic you have

Mines, 50 on the compresser side, and 63 on the exhaust, spools really nice full boost at around 3800 on my completley stock longblock, plus bolt ons. But i'm upgrading to a gt30r if i stick with a 2.0, if i go stroker then gt35r here i come.

Talonstylz
11-18-2005, 05:17 PM
do any of u have BOV?

IF NOT GET ONE lol best part of the turbo

SSQV best one on the market, specially if you dont mind it being loud.:thumbsup:

Z24_3.1.
11-18-2005, 05:40 PM
^ when mine gets turbo'd be sure ill have that lool

Go4Long
11-18-2005, 06:02 PM
Go4Long is the turbo ur selling is it a fulll kit? so i can turbo my RS?

no. turboing an N/A motor is very difficult. there's threads about it on a couple of the DSM boards(ca.dsm.org www.dsmtuners.com www.dsmtalk.com) it's a very long process.

95EagleAWD
11-18-2005, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Talonstylz

SSQV best one on the market, specially if you dont mind it being loud.:thumbsup:

Enjoy wasting your money. I have a crushed 1G BOV that I spent 12 bucks on and it'll hold all the boost I throw at it.

Go4Long
11-18-2005, 06:47 PM

Enjoy wasting your money. I have a crushed 1G BOV that I spent 12 bucks on and it'll hold all the boost I throw at it.

on what size turbo? the 1G bov wether it be crushed, uncrushed, or otherwise modified has been shown to leak boost under all conditions, and under larger turbo applications it can't support the necessary air flow and flutters(stumbles as it opens, causing it to rapidly open and close a few times before actually opening).

Z24_3.1.
11-18-2005, 07:25 PM
yeah i think ima just fix the trannypaint it sell it buy a turbo AWD 1990

Go4Long
11-18-2005, 07:27 PM
probably cheaper than the swap:D

Z24_3.1.
11-18-2005, 07:34 PM
^ lol hell yeah

Talonstylz
11-18-2005, 07:36 PM
buy mine, it has everything bolt on you can get pretty much.

Go4Long
11-18-2005, 07:37 PM
you're sellin that blue eclipse? why?

Z24_3.1.
11-18-2005, 07:38 PM
how much u asking?

Talonstylz
11-18-2005, 08:01 PM
you're sellin that blue eclipse? why?

I'm kinda thinking about moving on to a newr eclipse. 97-99.:D Plus i dont need the amount of power this thing has, not saying its tonnes. But all i want is an evo setup, walbro pump, 3" turbo back, 550cc, maf-t, and ssqv, i'll be more then happy with that since i dont even use close to the power this car makes.

By the way, howd you figure it was an eclipse? most people just think its a talon with an eclipse front symbol. Till i show them the insurance papers.

95EagleAWD
11-18-2005, 08:01 PM

on what size turbo? the 1G bov wether it be crushed, uncrushed, or otherwise modified has been shown to leak boost under all conditions, and under larger turbo applications it can't support the necessary air flow and flutters(stumbles as it opens, causing it to rapidly open and close a few times before actually opening).

EVO16G.

And where do you get this info? Tons of people run 1G BOVs on 20+ psi of boost.