PDA

View Full Version : trying to figgure out bandwidth conversion

thetrousertrout
11-15-2005, 09:57 PM
Hey guys, got a couple of questions, not sure on the conversion.

Thinking of switching to shaw for internet/tv/phone.

the part that concerns me the most is, apparently shaw has a cap of 50 mega bits a month for highspeed. My room mate and I play Wold of Warcraft quite a lot, between the 2 of us, around 14 hours a day, he doesn't work, so yeah, he needs a life.

anyways, just trying to figgure out what 50 mega bits equals out to? 5 gigs? .5 gigs? 50 gigs? and will it be enuff bandwidth to keep playing WoW and surf the net, and download music/all that other stuff....

any info would be appreciated.

doublepostwhore
11-15-2005, 10:21 PM
There are really no real rammifications for going over their 50 gig policy, however if you insist on downloading 100's of mp3's and many MANY movies will jamming WoW 24/7 they will pester you with e-mail notification.

Under extreme circomstances they will disconnect your service; this however, will be after MANY MANY MANY notices that you need to keep the downloading down.

asuth077
11-15-2005, 11:40 PM
Yah I work for Shaw in sales and the internet is pretty good. The "limit" is 50 gigs but its not strictly enforced at all, mostly they are concerned with the uploading becuase it is a strong indicator of sharing mp3's and movies.

I would not worry at all about that use, infact if you go to www.dslreports.com you can see that its faster than local competitors by quite a bit, better for gaming and if its not enough, pay $10 extra a month and get the x-treme upgrade. Anyway thats my sales pitch.

GoChris
11-15-2005, 11:40 PM
they have a 50GB "cap". thats 50 Giga Bytes. A full dvd download is about 4.3GB, I guess and mp3 is what... 6MB.

so, that should give you an idea, playing WoW will not eat GB's a month.

GoChris
11-15-2005, 11:41 PM
if you are worried, just get 3web, its shaw service, but without the 50GB limit. (for now)

Weapon_R
11-16-2005, 12:07 AM
Dont worry. I've received one warning in the past 2 years i've been a customer with them. I replied that I will go to telus if they continue to bother me, and i've never had a single warning since.

wired'sspecv
11-17-2005, 09:51 PM
Seeing as none of the reponses actually answered your question....here it is:

1 bit is the smallest unit of information.

8 bits (8b) = 1 byte (1B)

(note: "b" for bits, "B" for bytes)

1024 Bytes = 1 Kilobyte (1kB)
1024 Kilobytes = 1 Megabyte (1MB)
1024 Megabytes = 1 Gigabyte (1GB)

Cheers,