PDA

View Full Version : head unit with no sub output

TRKD
11-16-2005, 12:51 AM
i have a head unit by pioner with no sub output so to connect a sub it would require a 4-channel amp for the 4 speakers and then bridge the sub,
BUT then i would have no control over the sub, would it be better to run the head-unit------amp-----------------------------------------------
crossover------speakers
|
|
Sub

Or would this not work!!!
Thanks

rahim
11-16-2005, 01:32 AM
_________HU

____ Active Crossover

4ch Amp______ Sub Amp

Speakers________Sub

underscore is for spacing, the signal should go from top to bottom

it works the same way without the 4ch amp, and if you have a good mounting spot for crossover you would have subcontrol nearby. Another option is to buy an amp with a remote gain.
In the end you are better off spending the money on a new headunit

lastprodigy
11-16-2005, 01:48 AM
you could just use the rear channels for the sub...

SWX
11-16-2005, 09:52 AM
Which model is the deck, and amp?

Jonathan@TCS
11-16-2005, 11:09 AM
If you have an amp, you should use the rear preouts for sub, and the front preouts for speakers. If you don't have an amp yet, I would recommend one of the MTX amps, because they come with a sub control knob. You can mount this wherever you want up front.

A lot of amps have optional bass controls, but the problem with most is they are a bass boost, not a gain control. All they do is boost a certain frequency, making it sound louder, but usually noty as clean. The MTX is one of the few that actually controls the output of the amp, not just one frequency.

Which Deck do you have?